Author Topic: Negativity from a usually positive person  (Read 2416 times)

Offline vicki4471

Negativity from a usually positive person
« Topic Start: October 07, 2019, 09:18:05 AM »
I need a pep talk. I'm usually an optimist and always look for the bright side, but after last night I feel really sad and well... negative. As soon as Corbin imploded it hit me like a ton of bricks. Can this team really ride 2 pitchers all the way to the world series? Because honestly that is what it would take. Sanchez did fine but 5 innings just is not going to work. After that 5th inning what happens next? I feel like a win last night and then Max tonight.... was the only shot we had to wrap this up. Stras is pitching game 5 but its in LA. I really dont feel confident that we can clinch this in LA. Please someone through me some encouragement...

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Negativity from a usually positive person
« Reply #1: October 07, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »
You have your health.

You have access to the internet.

You are capable of going to New Mexico and eating the best food on the planet.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: October 07, 2019, 09:27:14 AM »
To quote the great optimist Artur Schopenhauer, "Life swings like a pendulum backward and forward between pain and boredom"...offseason is the boredom part  :P 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #3: October 07, 2019, 09:28:31 AM »
I need a pep talk. I'm usually an optimist and always look for the bright side, but after last night I feel really sad and well... negative. As soon as Corbin imploded it hit me like a ton of bricks. Can this team really ride 2 pitchers all the way to the world series? Because honestly that is what it would take. Sanchez did fine but 5 innings just is not going to work. After that 5th inning what happens next? I feel like a win last night and then Max tonight.... was the only shot we had to wrap this up. Stras is pitching game 5 but its in LA. I really dont feel confident that we can clinch this in LA. Please someone through me some encouragement...
Get a prescription as a pep talk won't help. Sorry but you are one of tens of thousands. Watching the implosion was not as bad as knowing Corbin wasn't the answer before he took the mound. I have spent a good part of my morning texting my brother and seat partner about last nite. There wasn't a lot of choices for DM. I would have let Sanchez come out for the sixth with a short leash. Voth is too inexperienced to pitch in a close play off game

Offline rileyn

« Reply #4: October 07, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »
I keep thinking, hoping, that maybe, just maybe our offense will break out and open up a can so large that even our bullpen can't blow it.  How about somebody hitting a clutch bomb that just opens the floodgates.  You never know. 

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #5: October 07, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »
Oh I knew Corbin was not the answer but like you said, there was no other option. That's why I don't even know how I feel about the playoffs moving forward. I would never route against the Nats or want them to lose but winning seems like more inevitable pain. We have all seen the "options" we have moving forward. Scherzer, Strasburg,  Sanchez for half a game and then implosion. Is it even possible to win a world series like that?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #6: October 07, 2019, 09:34:25 AM »
(1) All existence involves suffering. (2) The cause of suffering is craving. (3) The end of suffering comes with the end of craving. (4) There is a path that leads away from suffering.

Meh. I like Slate's better.

• babble on
« Reply #7: October 07, 2019, 09:41:15 AM »
Never been to New Mexico.  I will hold this thought like a lantern as darkness envelops us tonight...until it too is extinguished and then there is only nothingness.   

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #8: October 07, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »
Let me clarify. The negativity cloud is only hovering around my baseball fan life. Life outside of that is good. I just have lost all hope and faith in the team and for me that's something new. I have always held hope for them even when they were 19-31. But this time I just can help but feel like throwing in the towel. This is the first time I have ever doubted their ability. So I need someone to tell me that we can still do this..

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: October 07, 2019, 09:45:02 AM »
Let me clarify. The negativity cloud is only hovering around my baseball fan life. Life outside of that is good. I just have lost all hope and faith in the team and for me that's something new. I have always held hope for them even when they were 19-31. But this time I just can help but feel like throwing in the towel. This is the first time I have ever doubted their ability. So I need someone to tell me that we can still do this..

At the end of the day, it's just a game.  Don't obsess over it. :)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #10: October 07, 2019, 09:45:37 AM »
It’s a five game series. Every game is critical, must win, or an elimination game. Win today.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #11: October 07, 2019, 10:01:01 AM »

You are capable of going to New Mexico and eating the best food on the planet.

Why do you say that? I've been numerous times to Santa Fe / Taos. Don't disagree but think that NYC is tops in USA .

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #12: October 07, 2019, 10:05:39 AM »
Don't disagree but think that NYC is tops in USA .

Nobody goes there anymore...it's too crowded...  :D

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #13: October 07, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »

That's because you are seeing them on the field against a superior team. :|

Inferior teams sometimes win a five games series though.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: October 07, 2019, 10:23:22 AM »
This is why the Nats paid all this money for this staff. Nats need two straight wins with Scherzer then Strasburg. That’s not the worst position to be in.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #15: October 07, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
It's still doable. Max and Strasburg need to each go 7+ before turning it over to Doolittle and Hudson.

"Can this team really ride 2 pitchers all the way to the world series?"

Nope.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #16: October 07, 2019, 11:08:19 AM »

First, it's just a game so let's put in perspective. Don't jump off any bridges or anything because that will make the commute to the game tonight really awful.

We have a three time CY winner going tonight and they have a nobody. This team has proven resilient all year. Let's win tonight and take our chance with a very hot pitcher for one game in LA.

Can they ride two pitchers to the WS? Highly unlikely. But they can still win this series.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #17: October 07, 2019, 11:19:24 AM »
This is why the Nats paid all this money for this staff. Nats need two straight wins with Scherzer then Strasburg. That’s not the worst position to be in.
The problem is it doesnt work like that in the postseason. You really cant expect your starting pitchers to go 7+ of <2R ball against the best offense in the league.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #18: October 07, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »
No bridge jumping..LOL BUt I live in North Carolina.. so commute will be good regardless. I know its just a game and I have been through every playoff collapse. This one just stings because they had such an amazing comeback season that i actually began to believe this could actually be the year. I know there are worse positions to be in than needing to win twice with Max and Strasburg. But Max doesnt give me the same comfort that he used to. We shall see. If we win tonight I will be fine. If we lose tonight I will be fine. I know its just a game in the scheme of things. Dont mind me I think I'm just tired. These late games and a WWE pay per view I stayed up for with a worse ending than the nats game just has me tired. But it will pass.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #19: October 07, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »
These late games and a WWE pay per view I stayed up for with a worse ending than the nats game just has me tired.

:crackup:

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #20: October 07, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »

You're looking at it realistically. Yesterday was not a game you can afford to fritter away. It's going to be tough, especially with unforced errors on the basepaths and standard decisions aplenty.

But it's two games, and stranger things have happened

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #21: October 07, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »
No bridge jumping..LOL BUt I live in North Carolina.. so commute will be good regardless. I know its just a game and I have been through every playoff collapse. This one just stings because they had such an amazing comeback season that i actually began to believe this could actually be the year. I know there are worse positions to be in than needing to win twice with Max and Strasburg. But Max doesnt give me the same comfort that he used to. We shall see. If we win tonight I will be fine. If we lose tonight I will be fine. I know its just a game in the scheme of things. Dont mind me I think I'm just tired. These late games and a WWE pay per view I stayed up for with a worse ending than the nats game just has me tired. But it will pass.

Your real problem is you pay good money for WWE. Now that should depress you if you think about it.

• babble on
« Reply #22: October 07, 2019, 11:22:37 AM »
And any way you cut it it beats picking corn from dung in a bergundy and gold jersey.   

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #23: October 07, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »
Your real problem is you pay good money for WWE. Now that should depress you if you think about it.

Nah.. just 9.99 for the network... I bet you have spent way more money than that to watch way worse in Nats park.. LOl especially if you were there for any game 5's...
Actually though remind me because I cannot remember... and am too tired and lazy to research. Have all of the game 5 debacles been at Nats park? If so then maybe thats the problem. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #24: October 07, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
Have all of the game 5 debacles been at Nats park? If so then maybe thats the problem. 

yes