Author Topic: Bull Pen Construction for 2020  (Read 5235 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Re: Bull Pen Construction for 2020
« Reply #125: January 30, 2020, 09:20:53 AM »
Fedde has an option so I think he'll get stashed in Harrisburg or Fresno. Voth I think is a lock as #8.  The writers seem to have Elias and Strickland as favorites for #6 and #7, but I'm not sure about that.
I can't remember but isn't Fedde the one that can't get past 5 innings. I always thought he was the perfect long man. The writers would select Strickland and Elias simply because they were traded for and Elias is a lefty.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #126: January 30, 2020, 10:06:42 AM »
I can't remember but isn't Fedde the one that can't get past 5 innings. I always thought he was the perfect long man. The writers would select Strickland and Elias simply because they were traded for and Elias is a lefty.
Voth and Fedde are both back of the rotation starters. I just think we need them for depth, given the injury history of the current starting rotation.

Voth and Crowe may develop into cheap 4/5 starters going forward.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #127: January 31, 2020, 10:17:00 PM »
Voth and Fedde are both back of the rotation starters. I just think we need them for depth, given the injury history of the current starting rotation.

Voth and Crowe may develop into cheap 4/5 starters going forward.

I think our 6,7,8th pitchers will be around for 1-2 games only if there are multiple injuries

Though I had a funny conversation with Ms Voth once- she asked me how I knew who she was- she was wearing a denim jacket that was bedazzled with the name “Voth” on the back

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #128: February 01, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »
I think our 6,7,8th pitchers will be around for 1-2 games only if there are multiple injuries

Though I had a funny conversation with Ms Voth once- she asked me how I knew who she was- she was wearing a denim jacket that was bedazzled with the name “Voth” on the back

8th, sure, but the #6 dude usually gets a decent number of starts.  Last year was a little unusual because the supposed #5 (Hellickson) only made 8 starts, but even then Fedde, Ross, and Voth all made at least 8 as well. In 2018, 9 different guys made at least 3 starts.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #129: February 06, 2020, 11:15:20 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/06/nationals-have-worked-strengthen-their-bullpen-heres-what-expect/?itid=hp_regional-hp-cards_rhp-card-sports%3Ahomepage%2Fcard-ans

Discusses a number of the depth pieces.   These 5, plus probably 7th-9th starters and a few others like Guerra, are likely to be in the minors.

An easy solution would be for the prospective bullpen to stay healthy and effective. But since more than eight relievers will be used this season, it is worth assessing Finnegan, Harper, Williams, Barrett and Bourque against Bourque, Williams, Rainey and Adams.
Finnegan had a 2.31 ERA across two levels of the Oakland Athletics’ organization last year. The Nationals signed him to a major league deal despite him not having a major league appearance. He profiles like Rainey — hard fastball with a slider, high strikeout rate, a few too many walks — and will be a project for the minor-league pitching coaches.

Harper arrived in a recent trade with the Minnesota Twins, in which Washington parted with righty Hunter McMahon. Harper was solid for the Twins in 2019, pitching 54⅓ innings with a 3.81 ERA. He is a soft thrower who relies on a mid-70s curveball. ...

Barrett made an emotional return to the mound last September, after missing three and a half seasons due to multiple elbow surgeries. His goal is to now go from feel-good story to major league regular, which he had been in 2014. But he, Williams and Bourque are all questions marks heading into the spring. Barrett has to again prove that his stuff can hang in the bigs. Williams has to stay healthy, and give his fastball-curve mix a chance to excel. And Bourque’s next opportunity will have a lot riding on it.

and
Any of them could, in theory, push Elías, Strickland or Fedde/Voth/Ross for one of the final bullpen spots. But they’re more likely a five-pronged insurance plan. Kyle McGowin and Ben Braymer, two depth starters on the 40-man roster, could also be emergency relief options. Javy Guerra, a non-rostered member of the World Series team, is on a minor-league deal and has a nonroster invite to spring training. So do veterans Fernando Abad and Kevin Quackenbush.

Online Slateman

« Reply #130: February 06, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »
I think we're going to know pretty quick how good this pen is. Corbin and Stras pitched a lot of innings last season. Scherzer seems to need some limiting in his workload. May be going to the pen a lot earlier in games than we otherwise would.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131: March 14, 2020, 05:03:45 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/14/nationals-release-veteran-reliever-hunter-strickland/

The 31-year-old signed a one-year, $1.6 million contract in the offseason, but by cutting Strickland now, the Nationals only owe him 45 days’ worth of termination pay, which comes out to around $387,000.

The move opens a spot on the Nationals’ 40-man roster and, more importantly, in their bullpen. Strickland had been in line to join an eight-man group that also included Sean Doolittle, Will Harris, Daniel Hudson, Tanner Rainey, Wander Suero, Roenis Elías and either Austin Voth or Joe Ross. But since he arrived in Washington, Strickland had trouble keeping the ball in the park.

He was one of three relievers the Nationals acquired at last year’s trade deadline, after he had missed most of the season with the Seattle Mariners because of a lat injury. The upside was that he had a biting slider to go with high-90s heat, but he never found consistent command. In 21 regular season innings with the Nationals, he allowed five home runs. In two postseason innings, he allowed three. In 6⅔ innings of spring training, he allowed three more. The Nationals decided they had seen enough.

Saves $1.3MM on the CBT threshold.  I always questioned the accepted wisdom that he and Elias were guaranteed spots behind Doo, Hudson, Harris, Suero, and Rainey.  This potentially opens a slot for Harper or one of the non-roster pitchers.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132: March 14, 2020, 05:08:20 PM »
Several other roster moves, including releasing David Hernandez and reassigning Aaron Barrett to the minors. 

Those moves leave right-handers Kyle Finnegan, Ryne Harper, James Bourque, Austen Williams and Javy Guerra as relievers who could complete the bullpen. Finnegan, Harper, Bourque and Williams are on the 40-man roster, but Guerra would need to be added.

It'd be kind of nice to have a shuttle spot in the pitching staff allowing Fedde plys Finnegan et al to be brought in and out as needed, but there's also the sentimental favorite of Guerra.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #133: March 14, 2020, 05:19:42 PM »
Could always bring Strickland back on a minor league deal

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134: March 14, 2020, 05:41:34 PM »
Kind of reminds me of the scene in Blazing Saddles where Bart and Charlie discover there's quicksand at the end of the rail line by driving a hand cart into it and Taggart saves the day by rescuing the hand cart.  Strickland roster spot and CBT savings were more valuable to the team than keeping him around.

Online Slateman

« Reply #135: March 14, 2020, 06:27:47 PM »
Could always bring Strickland back on a minor league deal
Or not at all

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #136: March 14, 2020, 06:30:21 PM »
good riddance strickland
this now opens a spot for
Fernando Rodney

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #137: March 14, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
good riddance strickland
this now opens a spot for
Fernando Rodney
Rodney doesn’t get enough credit for last year. He kept the pen afloat for a while. Not great but better than the other crap they threw out there. That said I would take a hard pass on him now.

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #138: March 14, 2020, 08:03:32 PM »
Rodney doesn’t get enough credit for last year. He kept the pen afloat for a while. Not great but better than the other crap they threw out there. That said I would take a hard pass on him now.
yeah, the three batter rule hurts in his case
and he is 42 years old but he was more then serviceable for a time
in the NATS world series run

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #139: March 14, 2020, 08:47:42 PM »
From what I’ve seen, this bullpen is a cross between a dumpster fire and a burning nightmare.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #140: March 18, 2020, 01:34:00 PM »
From what I’ve seen, this bullpen is a cross between a dumpster fire and a burning nightmare.

Based on what exactly? Minimal ST numbers?

I don't think anyone thinks the pen will be amazing, but Doolittle, Hudson, Harris, Elias, Voth, Rainey, and Suero should be fairly solid. Maybe middle of the road.