Author Topic: Bull Pen Construction for 2020  (Read 5264 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Bull Pen Construction for 2020
« Reply #25: October 08, 2019, 04:12:09 PM »
I think Doo, Rainey and Suero will be in the pen next year. Everything else is up for grabs, I think.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #26: October 08, 2019, 04:30:43 PM »
Elias and Strickland will be here also.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27: October 08, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »

Who is this Elias person?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #28: October 08, 2019, 04:46:54 PM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #29: October 08, 2019, 05:13:51 PM »
They'll be invited to Spring Training, but I don't think you pass on better options if they're out there just because these guys are still here. I don't think their jobs are guaranteed for next year.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #30: October 08, 2019, 05:40:09 PM »
They'll be invited to Spring Training, but I don't think you pass on better options if they're out there just because these guys are still here. I don't think their jobs are guaranteed for next year.

Their paychecks are though, aren't they?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #31: October 08, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »
arbitration eligible

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #32: October 08, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »
arbitration eligible

Can they be non-tendered?

Online dracnal

« Reply #33: October 08, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »
Can they be non-tendered?

If they are arb eligible, I believe the answer is yes.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: October 08, 2019, 05:50:25 PM »

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #35: October 08, 2019, 06:06:46 PM »
I believe Doo should become more a lefty set up guy and spot closer than primary closer. 

I think Suero and Rainey both have potential with their stuff and I'd like to see them back as lower leverage guys until they prove themselves.

Spending big isn't always needed to buil a bullpen.  Guys that get big deals turn to crap the following year and scrap heap guys turn to gems all the time.  You just have to identify guys, put them in the proper role and give them the proper direction, and enjoy the results.  Easier said than done.  There just are very few sure thing guys to throw money at and feel secure.

Offline catocony

« Reply #36: October 09, 2019, 04:24:01 PM »
Suero and Rainey have options, so if they don't make the team neither they'll just go to Fresno.  That said, both have pitched decently this year. Strickland should be non-tendered as he's not coming back.  Elias, he seemed to not be able to get lefties out, which is bad for a lefty reliever.

The Nats have left spring training with a bad bullpen for many years now.  I don't know if that will be any different 6 months from now.  With Voth, Ross and Fedde in the fight for the number 5 spot next year, I would put the other two in the bullpen.  Having guys who can start in the bullpen worked for 120 years, it's only been the last 20 where relievers are specialized and starters either break with the big league team or go to AAA. 

I'll assume Koda Glover will never pitch in the majors again, so I think they'll release him.  None of the randos from this year, like Vetters, are coming back.  Rodney, he'll be 43 and isn't that good, so I don't think they'll resign him.  Did Grace accept a job at AAA?  He got screwed over, getting DFA'd right as rosters expanded. 

« Reply #37: October 09, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »
Suero and Rainey have options, so if they don't make the team neither they'll just go to Fresno.  That said, both have pitched decently this year. Strickland should be non-tendered as he's not coming back.  Elias, he seemed to not be able to get lefties out, which is bad for a lefty reliever.

The Nats have left spring training with a bad bullpen for many years now.  I don't know if that will be any different 6 months from now.  With Voth, Ross and Fedde in the fight for the number 5 spot next year, I would put the other two in the bullpen.  Having guys who can start in the bullpen worked for 120 years, it's only been the last 20 where relievers are specialized and starters either break with the big league team or go to AAA. 

I'll assume Koda Glover will never pitch in the majors again, so I think they'll release him.  None of the randos from this year, like Vetters, are coming back.  Rodney, he'll be 43 and isn't that good, so I don't think they'll resign him.  Did Grace accept a job at AAA?  He got screwed over, getting DFA'd right as rosters expanded.

I think Ross will be the guy to start out as the #5 guy.  To me, he's shown the most ability to be an effective starter for 6 innings each night.  Outside of a bad start against the Mets, he was very good the final 2 months.  I look for him to take a big step forward and provide 175 or so innings of solid 4ish ERA.  Maybe he can even go beyond that and be more like a mid 3 ERA guy?

Voth is 27, so he's not really a prospect you are developing and need to keep stretched out in AAA as a starter.  He's an arm that is basically a finished product and should be used however he best helps the team.  I think he's a good enough arm to be of use somewhere.  Same for Fedde.  He's 26, so time to put him to work however he can help. 

Offline catocony

« Reply #38: October 09, 2019, 06:55:40 PM »
Agreed on the Ross-Voth-Fedde combo.  They'll all get starts next year, assuming the Nats don't do a pitching rebuild.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #39: October 09, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
Agreed on the Ross-Voth-Fedde combo.  They'll all get starts next year, assuming the Nats don't do a pitching rebuild.
Honestly, given what we've seen from Strasburg and Scherzer, we'll need them to fill in for IL stints

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #40: October 11, 2019, 08:05:52 PM »
With Strickland off the NCLS roster does that mean more than likely he gets nontendered or he gets DFA 30 days before start of season and gets 25% of his salary for 2020?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #41: October 11, 2019, 08:06:22 PM »
With Strickland off the NCLS roster does that mean more than likely he gets nontendered or he gets DFA 30 days before start of season and gets 25% of his salary for 2020?
We can only hope

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #42: October 12, 2019, 12:33:54 AM »

I think they have more faith in Elias at this time than Strickland.  Maybe Elias is more likely to be picked up than Strickland, but I think they could keep both or even cut both.  Long winded way of saying Idunno.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Planning the 2020 Bullpen
« Reply #43: October 31, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
The Nats are going to have a bunch of AAAA castoffs and stiffs next season out of the gate. Will be on paper worse bullpen in majors. They'll convince themselves it is again an easy fix at the trade deadline.

Re: Re: 2019 Bullpen
« Reply #44: October 31, 2019, 04:45:50 PM »
The Nats are going to have a bunch of AAAA castoffs and stiffs next season out of the gate. Will be on paper worse bullpen in majors. They'll convince themselves it is again an easy fix at the trade deadline.

In order to pay all the guys we need to pay to return (including Rendon), money for the bullpen just won't be there.  You hope Rainey/Suero make big leaps and try your shot at a bargain gem or 2 signing. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: October 31, 2019, 05:50:33 PM »
In order to pay all the guys we need to pay to return (including Rendon), money for the bullpen just won't be there.  You hope Rainey/Suero make big leaps and try your shot at a bargain gem or 2 signing. 
Perhaps Koda and The Bear can visit Sainte Anne des Beaupre with the world series trophy.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #46: October 31, 2019, 09:02:20 PM »
If either Ross ,Fedde or Voth are the # 5starter then the other two can pitch out of the 'pen. Certainally an upgrade. I'm not sure what can be done with Strickland. So you have Doo , Rainey , Suero  , Elias and hopefully a pick up or two to close.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #47: November 01, 2019, 09:23:33 AM »
If the Nationals bring Rendon and Strasburg back it will require a new financial commitment by ownership. Good news is attendance should be way up next season.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #48: November 01, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »
If the Nationals bring Rendon and Strasburg back it will require a new financial commitment by ownership. Good news is attendance should be way up next season.
Plus revenues from the postseason

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49: November 01, 2019, 09:40:47 AM »
Plus revenues from the postseason
well, their ticket base for next year  is up with all the folks who bought half-season plan to get playoff tickets.  They don't care about the resale market, which should tank as more folks dump purchased tickets.