Author Topic: Offseason Changes / Non-Nats Hot Stove (2019-2020)  (Read 12520 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Starling Marte to D-Backs for two prospects

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Starling Marte to D-Backs for two prospects

And some slot money

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Kris Bryant loses his grievance, still has 2 years of eligibility now.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Mookie and Price to the Dodgers. Hate this

Offline Slateman

Well, if you wanted to know what Bryant would cost . . .

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Whenever the Red Sox need to dump some salary, there's always the same team to help them...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Sox get Verdugo and reportedly a prospect with major league service time from a 3d team.  Sox send cash to cover some of Price's salary. 

Kenta Maeda sent to the Twins for Brusdar Gaterol who goes to the Sox.   Joc Pederson to the Angels for an infielder Luis Rengifo.

Offline Count Walewski

Is money really that tight in Boston?

Offline imref

Iirc they are way over the luxury tax

Offline rileyn

LA is a monster.  Let them win 115 games and the take your chances against them in a 5 or 7 game series.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
LA is a monster.  Let them win 115 games and the take your chances against them in a 5 or 7 game series.

Highest payroll in baseball???

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Yup

Offline imref

position players don't win championships. :)

Offline Slateman

position players don't win championships. :)
That's funny, they did in 2016, 2017, and 2018

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Depends who you ask.  I'm cynical: I look it as a negotiating ploy whereby they pleaded poverty and low expectations for this season - the latter half of which is probably true - so they could use Betts (who they figured they were going to lose anyway) as a means of getting rid of Price.   This is the Carl Crawford/Adrian Gonzalez trade all over again but with more definitive upside in both directions. 

Offline nfotiu

I am guessing the Dodgers don't keep Betts either.   Baseball economics are in an odd situation at the moment.   Higher payroll teams who expect to be competitive every year are not interested in giving monster contracts to elite position players, but those players are still asking for those contracts because there are still mid market teams willing to hand them out for various reasons.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
What is Verdugo's upside?  Projections have him about league average, scouting (at least on FG) says he is a good hitter (60) with most of the rest of the tools around 50.  I imagine he plays left and they try Beni in right.  Gaterol seems to be a hard thrower with the potential to start, but has ballooned up to 265 (from 170).  Second coming of Guapo Garces?

I think the point about the Boston payroll is they had a projected 93-95 win team with a payroll of a 105 win club in a division they were only going to be 2d or 3d. Now they have an 88-90 win team and still could contend for that wild card spot, plus they trade 1 year of Betts and 3 years of Price for 12 years of Verdugo and Gaterol.  For a team with no real significant prospects in the high  minors, that's the only way they get talent soon. 

Interesting too that moving Maeda figured into the affordability for the Dodgers.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I am guessing the Dodgers don't keep Betts either.   Baseball economics are in an odd situation at the moment.   Higher payroll teams who expect to be competitive every year are not interested in giving monster contracts to elite position players, but those players are still asking for those contracts because there are still mid market teams willing to hand them out for various reasons.
IF the Nats were to spend on a FA position player, with Eaton coming off contract as well as Sanchez, then . . . oh, there's still no way.

Offline Slateman

What is Verdugo's upside?  Projections have him about league average, scouting (at least on FG) says he is a good hitter (60) with most of the rest of the tools around 50.  I imagine he plays left and they try Beni in right.  Gaterol seems to be a hard thrower with the potential to start, but has ballooned up to 265 (from 170).  Second coming of Guapo Garces?

I think the point about the Boston payroll is they had a projected 93-95 win team with a payroll of a 105 win club in a division they were only going to be 2d or 3d. Now they have an 88-90 win team and still could contend for that wild card spot, plus they trade 1 year of Betts and 3 years of Price for 12 years of Verdugo and Gaterol.  For a team with no real significant prospects in the high  minors, that's the only way they get talent soon. 

Interesting too that moving Maeda figured into the affordability for the Dodgers.

I think the Maeda trade was more about Maeda not likeing having to switch between the rotation and the pen, then money.

Offline Ryan9009

At first glance this almost seems like an apology for stealing a world series from them...

Dodgers look stacked for this year and seem to have flexibility and a year+ to negotiate a sweet 400+ deal with mook, why not when you can print money? At this point you could argue the 5 best position players in the sport all play in the same city, glad we grabbed a title before the onslaught...

Offline Slateman

No … but yes.

But Betts wants to hit free agency. He has made that very clear. He believes that his contract will help the bargaining position of every other player, so he believes it is his obligation to get the best deal possible.

Also, it seems clear that no team is willing to pay the tax and give up draft position/signing slot money to go over the CBT. Or at least, they won't do it unless they truly believe they are contenders. And I don't think the Red Sox believe they are contenders. Price is clearly fading. Evolodi was a mistake. And the Yankees and Rays are great teams. So the Sox probably had an honest appraisal and decided that getting out from under the Price contract and getting quality pieces in return for Betts, who was going to walk for nothing anyway, is the best way to make the team competitive in the future.

Verdugo is, frankly, a huge haul for Betts. He's young enough that he has a ton of team control left, but he's actually proven he can play at the big league level.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

The Dodgers have no reason to do these moves if they don't keep Betts for this year.  They'd be getting a lot more expensive in the long term while probably not getting much, if any, better.  If you're talking long term, then maybe.

I'd take the higher side of those stat projections.  Verdugo is a very good outfielder (and can play CF credibly) and he's a good hitter who will probably develop more power than he's shown so far. 

Offline nfotiu

The Dodgers have no reason to do these moves if they don't keep Betts for this year.  They'd be getting a lot more expensive in the long term while probably not getting much, if any, better.  If you're talking long term, then maybe.

I meant long term.  Unless they can talk him into a short term/high dollar option deal to stay in LA.

Offline Slateman

They're not going to get an extension. Betts has been adamant about hitting free agency. This is a one year rental for the Dodgers. They are going all in, and rightfully so.

Offline UMDNats

Imagine being a Dodgers fan when we eliminate them this year and then sign Mookie.