Author Topic: Offseason Changes / Non-Nats Hot Stove (2019-2020)  (Read 12522 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

So looks like Strasburg and Cole will be about the same age when their contracts run out?  Expect to see articles at that time of why clubs made the mistake of giving such long contracts during the late 2010s when they had resisted before that.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
So looks like Strasburg and Cole will be about the same age when their contracts run out?  Expect to see articles at that time of why clubs made the mistake of giving such long contracts during the late 2010s when they had resisted before that.
I think we are spoiled by Max's 1st 5 years.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Cole's contract includes an opt-out after 5 years.  Fangraphs ran a simulation and found it makes sense for him to opt out in a lot of cases:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/valuing-gerrit-coles-opt-out/

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Treinen to the Dodgers. 1 year, 10 million

Online Slateman

Roark to the Blue Jays. 2 years, 24 million

Offline nfotiu

Roark to the Blue Jays. 2 years, 24 million
Good for Tanner.  That's a nice payday for him.   It sure is shocking how much money a consistent, average-slightly above average starting pitcher gets paid on the open market.  It gives a lot of context to why Cole and Strasburg got so much money.    A 33 yo consistently average position player is probably just hoping for a job this off season.

Online Slateman

I don’t understand how Boras can represent all of these guys effectively. This seems to be clear conflict of interest. I don’t see how he can fulfill his fiduciary duty to multiple guys at the same position or negotiating with the same team.
Given the last week of deals, how do you feel about this statement?

I'm not seeing a conflict of interest.

Offline imref

Given the last week of deals, how do you feel about this statement?

I'm not seeing a conflict of interest.

I’m seeing $40 million this week for Boras.

Online Slateman

Porcello going to the Mets :lmao:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Kluber to Rangers.

Online Slateman

MadBum to the Dbacks

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline imref

Online Slateman

Seems kind of cheap?
Hes old, and his metrics do not favor long term production.

I really dont understand this move for a Dbacks team that is rebuilding

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Seems kind of cheap?

He's 30 which seems reasonable for someone that age in the current market for SP's. Does he have any history of injuries?

Offline imref

He's 30 which seems reasonable for someone that age in the current market for SP's. Does he have any history of injuries?

He missed some time in 17 and 18.  17 was due to a dirt bike crash, in 18 he was hit in the hand with a come-backer.  Steamer has him projected with a low 4.00 ERA.  BTW, $15 million of his deal is deferred.

Online Slateman

He missed some time in 17 and 18.  17 was due to a dirt bike crash, in 18 he was hit in the hand with a come-backer.  Steamer has him projected with a low 4.00 ERA.  BTW, $15 million of his deal is deferred.
Check out his exit velocity the last couple years

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
So, more or less, they swapped gritty veterans - Greinke for MadBum, picked up prospects, and saved money.  Of course, Greinke has been better, but if you think MadBum is bouncing back or can adjust to a velo drop, it might work.

Offline imref

So, more or less, they swapped gritty veterans - Greinke for MadBum, picked up prospects, and saved money.  Of course, Greinke has been better, but if you think MadBum is bouncing back or can adjust to a velo drop, it might work.

there's speculation that they signed Bumgarner to improve the market for Ray

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Wade Miley to Reds 2 years/ 15 million

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Matt Kemp to the Marlins on a minor league contract.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Matt Kemp to the Marlins on a minor league contract.
Nice buffets for him as he approaches retirement.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

there's speculation that they signed Bumgarner to improve the market for Ray

I'd love to see a GM justify an $85 million expenditure on the basis that it might improve his ability to trade away a younger, cheaper pitcher a bit, given that he's still going to net a lot less than $85 million in value.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I'd love to see a GM justify an $85 million expenditure on the basis that it might improve his ability to trade away a younger, cheaper pitcher a bit, given that he's still going to net a lot less than $85 million in value.

Or you could say they traded Greinke for Bumgarner, saved money and got prospects.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Smoak, 1/5m to the Brewers.