Author Topic: Offseason Changes / Non-Nats Hot Stove (2019-2020)  (Read 12775 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Trading Grisham HAD to have something to do with the error.  He would not live that down in Milwaukee.  I say he gets a standing O next year at Nats Park.
https://mobile.twitter.com/mlbdeadlinenews/status/1201358691523604480?s=21

Online Slateman

Moustakas to the Reds. 4 years, 64 million

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
JurPro to Padres for Catcher Allen.

Catcher Leon to Indians for minor leaguer.  Vasquez wins Red Sox Survivor, beating out Swihart and Leon.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

JurPro to Padres for Catcher Allen.

Catcher Leon to Indians for minor leaguer.  Vasquez wins Red Sox Survivor, beating out Swihart and Leon.

Barely able to hit his weight at the Oakland Coliseum, Profar will now escape his deserved non-tender and get to try again at Petco.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Villar to the Marlins.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
quite the fall for Taijuan Walker.  I wonder if he'll try to reinvent himself as a reliever.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Cesar Hernandez and Yolmer Sanchez are 2d basemen who were nontendered. 

Online imref

Cole Hamels to Atlanta on a one-year deal for $18 million

Offline Natsinpwc

Cole Hamels to Atlanta on a one-year deal for $18 million
Overpay. Expect him to regress in 2020. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Overpay. Expect him to regress in 2020.

Perhaps, but considering that JA freaking Happ got 2/34 last offseason at the same age, this seems like a decent deal for Atlanta.  For a one year contract to really be enough of an overpay to really matter, he'd need to be remarkably awful. 

Offline Natsinpwc

Perhaps, but considering that JA freaking Happ got 2/34 last offseason at the same age, this seems like a decent deal for Atlanta.  For a one year contract to really be enough of an overpay to really matter, he'd need to be remarkably awful.
Probably you are right. I thought MadBum was going there? I guess not.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Probably you are right. I thought MadBum was going there? I guess not.

I think people who assumed Bumgarner was going to the Braves because of his accent are likely to be some of the same folks who thought Trout was a dead lock to sign with the Phillies.  They are best ignored.

Online imref

Wheeler to Philly, 5 years $118 million

Online Dave in Fairfax

I think people who assumed Bumgarner was going to the Braves because of his accent are likely to be some of the same folks who thought Trout was a dead lock to sign with the Phillies.  They are best ignored.
Some of these people also said the same about Georgia native Zack Wheeler. As soon as he signed with Phillies, though, the masters of 20/20 hindsight then said, "well, his wife's family is from south Jersey."

Online imref

The rumor mill says the White Sox and Twins are making strong pushes for Bumgarner. 

Online imref

O's trade Dylan Bundy to LAA for some minor leaguers.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Wheeler to Philly, 5 years $118 million
The rumor mill says the White Sox and Twins are making strong pushes for Bumgarner. 
Time to poop or get off the pot with Strasburg.  We can't let every potential replacement get signed while he weighs offers and tries to extract the last $. 

Online Slateman

Time to poop or get off the pot with Strasburg.  We can't let every potential replacement get signed while he weighs offers and tries to extract the last $. 
Cole is his replacement :stir:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Cole is his replacement :stir:
Which begs the question, how can you give Stras an ultimatum when his agent also represents Cole?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Which begs the question, how can you give Stras an ultimatum when his agent also represents Cole?

I don’t understand how Boras can represent all of these guys effectively. This seems to be clear conflict of interest. I don’t see how he can fulfill his fiduciary duty to multiple guys at the same position or negotiating with the same team.

Online Slateman

I don’t understand how Boras can represent all of these guys effectively. This seems to be clear conflict of interest. I don’t see how he can fulfill his fiduciary duty to multiple guys at the same position or negotiating with the same team.
His job is to get his client the most money.

Do you want Player X? Okay, it costs this much. Oh, Player Y? Costs this much. Team A will pay this much for Player X. Will you pay more?

Online HalfSmokes

He can’t. Representing multiple people competing for the same limited pool of money and job openings should be impossible under a fiduciary standard. Of course it’s just athletes, so no one cares

Online HalfSmokes

Do you want Player X? Okay, it costs this much. Oh, Player Y? Costs this much. Team A will pay this much for Player X. Will you pay more?

We want player X, player X plays the same position as player Y who we also want, but only if we can’t get player X. There is no possible way to represent player x and player y without creating a conflict of interest

Offline Elvir Ovcina

His job is to get the best deal he can for his clients according to their wishes.  Whether that's the most money or not depends on the client.  In terms of the potential for conflicts, it makes a big difference that not all his clients are looking for the same thing.

But:

Still seems accurate.  In particular, Strasburg and Cole are likely to be fishing in the same pond.  I don't think any team will sign two of them.  Several teams will likely offer contracts to both.  I don't see how one person can effectively represent two applicants for the same job, possessing confidential information relating to both, without it impacting negotiations.   For example, say the Angels plan to hand out a single bajillion-dollar contract to a pitcher, but they will only do it for one, and no club is coming anywhere close to the AAV they're offering for either pitcher.  So how does Boras choose which player to screw out of several million dollars per year?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Just look at last year and this year with an example closer to home. If the Nats had signed Harper, it affects their ability to pay Rendon. Assuming Rendon wants to stay with Nats, maximizing Harper’s money hurts Rendon. He either has to take less money from the Nats or go somewhere else.

Yes, this isn’t how it actually happened, but very easily could have. I don’t see how he can competently represent all of these guys.