Author Topic: Offseason Changes / Non-Nats Hot Stove (2019-2020)  (Read 12713 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Trey Mancini of the o’s had surgery to remove a malignant tumor from his colon. He’s only 27.  :shock:
you have got to hope that this was picked up on a physical connected to his contract rather than when he started showing signs like bloody stools.  I'm not sure if I even had a test for colon issues (stool sample) before I was 40.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
you have got to hope that this was picked up on a physical connected to his contract rather than when he started showing signs like bloody stools.  I'm not sure if I even had a test for colon issues (stool sample) before I was 40.

The news article I saw said it was picked up in a colonoscopy but at his age he must’ve have some kind of symptoms to warrant such a test.

Offline Natsinpwc

Trey Mancini of the o’s had surgery to remove a malignant tumor from his colon. He’s only 27.  :shock:
Very unfortunate. Hope he gets well soon.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Very unfortunate. Hope he gets well soon.

Yeah, that's pretty rough.    Stay in the fight.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Chris Sale heading for TJ

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Chris Sale heading for TJ
well, if you figure the season has a decent chance of not being played, then it is a good move.  Heck, if it is delayed to June, then it is 50+ games or 10 starts fewer than he would have missed otherwise.  But if he had gotten it last August, he might have been around if there are playoffs.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
well, if you figure the season has a decent chance of not being played, then it is a good move.  Heck, if it is delayed to June, then it is 50+ games or 10 starts fewer than he would have missed otherwise.  But if he had gotten it last August, he might have been around if there are playoffs.

Red Sox aren’t making the playoffs.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Red Sox aren’t making the playoffs.
No one gonna make the playoffs at this rate

Offline UMDNats

Best-case scenario IMO is a half-season of baseball where they expand the playoffs. But I don't think that's likely. Then again, if the country still can't function by July, we have bigger problems.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://www.mlb.com/news/fenway-park-redesigned-safety-precautions

this is kind of neat.  Fenway was notorious for cramped clubhouses.  With the park empty, they're using all of the space to create distance between players.   In lieu of the clubhouse, players dress in the suites.  The under the bleacher area and the concession area are now workout areas and used by the trainers.  If you are familiar with Fenway, there are some interesting pictures.  They show Michael Chavis walking into the suite he shares with Alex Verdugo.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Betts signs 13 yr 380 million dollar contract with Dodgers.

Offline Slateman

Good job Dodgers. You gave up quite a bit to get, at most, 60 extra games of Mookie Betts

Given the financial outlook for baseball, the Dodgers were undoubtedly negotiating prior to COVID. Phenomenal deal for Betts. Probably the last of it's kind in baseball.

Offline Natsinpwc

Good job Dodgers. You gave up quite a bit to get, at most, 60 extra games of Mookie Betts

Given the financial outlook for baseball, the Dodgers were undoubtedly negotiating prior to COVID. Phenomenal deal for Betts. Probably the last of it's kind in baseball.
You don't know that they would have gotten him without the trade.  Did you predict last winter that this would be a 60 game season?  And the Dodgers don't worry about outspending everyone.  So what's the worry? Not like this is going to keep them from signing someone else. 

Offline Slateman

You don't know that they would have gotten him without the trade.  Did you predict last winter that this would be a 60 game season?  And the Dodgers don't worry about outspending everyone.  So what's the worry? Not like this is going to keep them from signing someone else. 
Could have waited until the deadline. Also, in February, it was pretty obvious COVID was coming and would have substantial impacts to the season

Offline Natsinpwc

Could have waited until the deadline. Also, in February, it was pretty obvious COVID was coming and would have substantial impacts to the season
Oh yea. Everyone saw how serious COVID 19 was in February.   :hysterical:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Phenomenal deal for Betts. Probably the last of it's kind in baseball.

Until the next one...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Somehow the Dodgers came out better than originally thoutht

It's basically an aggressive flu. On top of the normal flu. While it's a cause for concern and some precautions, it's not the next plague. Except, maybe, in China.

February you say?

Offline Slateman

February you say?

Was talking about the Gradersol/Maedea trade, after the Angel's trade fell through

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Was talking about the Gradersol/Maedea trade, after the Angel's trade fell through

:lmao:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Wut?  :hysterical:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline Slateman

:lmao:
What else would I be talking about? My last post before that was about the other part of that trade.

Been pretty consistent. Dodgers gave up Verdugo and Downs for an extra 60 games of Betts and the chance to pay him 400 million at a time when baseball is likely not going to be a hot bed of free agency spending.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
 :hysterical:

What else would I be talking about? My last post before that was about the other part of that trade.

Been pretty consistent. Dodgers gave up Verdugo and Downs for an extra 60 games of Betts and the chance to pay him 400 million at a time when baseball is likely not going to be a hot bed of free agency spending.

Offline Natsinpwc

:hysterical:
He was right on the mark about COVID 19 though.   :hysterical: