Poll

Vote and state your reasoning below!

Werth
11 (25%)
Soto
33 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: October 09, 2019, 12:05:40 PM

Author Topic: What was greater: Werth's walkoff or last night?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Traded For Mclain

Worth’s hit was clearly more important. It out then a game away from the NLCS. With Soto’s hit they are still three games away.

That’s a good point, almost makes me want to change my vote.  I still look at it as Soto’s hit advanced us a round, Werth’s hit meant losing in five instead of four.  It really may be that after seven years I’m still working through the pain of game 5 with my therapist....

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Werth's was probably more significant in terms of the potential for winning the World Series because it meant we only needed to win 9 more games instead of 11.  Soto's was much more of a "monkey off  the back" moment.  I think in terms of added likelihood of winning the game, I think Soto's probably added more win probability Werth went from a little above 50% to 100%, while Soto's went from about 25% to about 90+%, IIRC the graphs Bluestreak posted.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Measured by the volume of beer thrown in the air, Soto all the way. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Measured by the volume of beer thrown in the air, Soto all the way. 
well, that's because they stopped selling 12 Ozs.  Those 24 Oz beers are much more efficient at soaking folks.

Offline Duke of Earl

Worth’s hit was clearly more important. It out then a game away from the NLCS. With Soto’s hit they are still three games away.
And without it, they are 165 (or 6) games away.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
This still baffles me...if Grisham doesn't make that error...that three run single isn't, and it isn't even being discussed today...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
This still baffles me...if Grisham doesn't make that error...that three run single isn't, and it isn't even being discussed today...

I'm still baffled by Soto's base running on the play.     I thought he could have made third (on replay).    I didn't get much from Charlie and Dave on the original over all play call.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
I'm still baffled by Soto's base running on the play.     I thought he could have made third (on replay).    I didn't get much from Charlie and Dave on the original over all play call.

He said he wanted to draw the throw so Rendon could score.  He did, and he did...but not sure that was really going thru his mind. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
He said he wanted to draw the throw so Rendon could score.  He did, and he did...but not sure that was really going thru his mind. 

that's what he says now but at the time he was directing traffic in the basepaths and celebrating. even doing all that, the play would've been close at 3B (I thnk he's safe because the cutoff man wasn't even expecting there to be a play at 3B) so Rendon doesn't need a distraction to score

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

And if Werth’s homer had died at the warning track, we wouldn’t be talking about that. Why are we discussing counter factuals. He put the ball in play we won a game that we had a high probability of losing.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
bs objecting to someone because their opinion doesn't match his....

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
And if Werth’s homer had died at the warning track, we wouldn’t be talking about that. Why are we discussing counter factuals. He put the ball in play we won a game that we had a high probability of losing.

But Werth's ball did carry and Grisham did make an error.  Those are facts...

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I should have asked "What was the bigger playoff moment?" so some folks would not be answering "What was the bigger achievement?"

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
bs objecting to someone because their opinion doesn't match his....

(Image removed from quote.)

The guy said it baffled him why people thought the other way. I explained how people could. He has his opinion, I have mine. Hell, you could say the same thing about him.

But you won’t, because for some reason you like to stir crap with me. I guess I should consider it a compliment. I’m glad I can play some part in your happiness.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I’m glad I can play some part in your happiness.

:hysterical:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Howie...

Offline dracnal

Howie...

Yeah - we've got a new, and clear, winner.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
FP reading WNFF again...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
/thread

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?