Author Topic: 2019 NLDS - Here come the Dodgers!!  (Read 10330 times)

Offline djbaseball13

Re: 2019 NLDS - Here come the Dodgers!!
« Reply #50: October 02, 2019, 09:00:25 PM »
if you go Corbin/Strasburg/Scherzer you can go with Sanchez if needed in game 4, then repeat Corbin and Strasburg (with Max available in game five).  That seems like the ideal approach.

I think it would be much better to go with Sanchez in game 2. Then we have Stras & Scherzer fully rested back here in D.C.    Sanchez has been great!

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #51: October 02, 2019, 09:03:28 PM »
Can Howie handle second base? Cabrerra hasn't been great against LHP and I'd like to get Zim in at first

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I'd like to see Zim and Howie both in the batting order. I'm sure we will if we get to the WS.  ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #52: October 02, 2019, 09:21:52 PM »
Corbin
Sanchez
Strasburg
Scherzer
Everybody

And I like our RH lineup against their lefty starters.

Works for me. 

Offline DodgerBlue

« Reply #53: October 02, 2019, 09:46:53 PM »
Hey everyone.  Huge Dodger fan here, and just wanted to drop by to wish you the best of luck in this series.  I was pulling for the Brewers to win that game, b/c I think you guys match up a little better than us.  Here are a few insights into our team, and some of my worries (I can probably speak for a majority of Dodger fans with these):

-Our bullpen has been just terrible this year.  It got better in the second half of the season...but Kenley has had an off year, and Joe Kelly is really streaky (look at his ERA during the first few months of the season  :shock:).  They Dodgers are probably going to use normal starters as bullpen guys (Urias, Dustin May, etc)

-Starting pitching and power hitting are the two main strengths of this Dodger team.  Ryu has had the best year of his career...he lacks velocity, but has good command of his off speed pitches. Kershaw hasn't been himself, he's getting older and it's showing.  That said, he's made major adjustments to his style of pitching...way less fastballs than he used to throw, and by most measurements, it's still been a good season for him.  Buehler is incredibly talented and throws heat, but sometimes too over confident with his pitches.  Rich Hill, older but probably the most predictable pitcher in this group--you know it'll be a solid but not great outing pretty much every time out.

On the offensive side, obviously, Belly is the standout.  But his bat has quieted more and more as the year has progressed--this makes me a little nervous.  Justin Turner is coming off a little injury and may be a little rusty.  The sneaky guy to watch out for is Matt Beaty--he'll be used off the bench, but he is the best clutch hitter in our lineup. 

I think the key to the series will be how long your starters stay in the game.  If we can get them out in the 5th or 6th inning, then I think the odds really favor the Dodgers.  But if your starters go deep, we may be in big trouble.  I know a lot has been made about Corbin vs. the Dodgers, but I'm not sure that holds much weight.  This team has changed a lot over the years, and the only starter in our lineup that has struggled against him over an extended period of time is Corey Seager.  Seager and Turner are the only two starters with at least 20 at bats against him, and Turner is averaging .375 on him.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts.  I'll be around throughout the series if you guys will have me.  I think it's fun interacting with other fans.  Congrats on a heck of a game last night!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #54: October 02, 2019, 09:53:34 PM »
Hey everyone.  Huge Dodger fan here, and just wanted to drop by to wish you the best of luck in this series.

Can't speak for everyone else here but this sentiment is certainly not reciprocated. I wish your team nothing but the worst of luck (in the series)! :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #55: October 02, 2019, 09:55:25 PM »

Can't speak for everyone else here but this sentiment is certainly not reciprocated. I wish your team nothing but the worst of luck! :lol:
I'm  much more moderate than Spider because I moderate here, so I wish you the second best luck in the series! 

Offline DodgerBlue

« Reply #56: October 02, 2019, 09:56:32 PM »
lol, yea--not really sure why I said that. If we lose, and any Dodger fans know I said that, I may need to go into hiding.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #57: October 02, 2019, 10:11:03 PM »
lol, yea--not really sure why I said that. If we lose, and any Dodger fans know I said that, I may need to go into hiding.

It worked for Bartman. :mg:

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #58: October 02, 2019, 10:48:21 PM »
Hey everyone.  Huge Dodger fan here, and just wanted to drop by to wish you the best of luck in this series.  I was pulling for the Brewers to win that game, b/c I think you guys match up a little better than us.  Here are a few insights into our team, and some of my worries (I can probably speak for a majority of Dodger fans with these):

-Our bullpen has been just terrible this year.  It got better in the second half of the season...but Kenley has had an off year, and Joe Kelly is really streaky (look at his ERA during the first few months of the season  :shock:).  They Dodgers are probably going to use normal starters as bullpen guys (Urias, Dustin May, etc)

-Starting pitching and power hitting are the two main strengths of this Dodger team.  Ryu has had the best year of his career...he lacks velocity, but has good command of his off speed pitches. Kershaw hasn't been himself, he's getting older and it's showing.  That said, he's made major adjustments to his style of pitching...way less fastballs than he used to throw, and by most measurements, it's still been a good season for him.  Buehler is incredibly talented and throws heat, but sometimes too over confident with his pitches.  Rich Hill, older but probably the most predictable pitcher in this group--you know it'll be a solid but not great outing pretty much every time out.

On the offensive side, obviously, Belly is the standout.  But his bat has quieted more and more as the year has progressed--this makes me a little nervous.  Justin Turner is coming off a little injury and may be a little rusty.  The sneaky guy to watch out for is Matt Beaty--he'll be used off the bench, but he is the best clutch hitter in our lineup. 

I think the key to the series will be how long your starters stay in the game.  If we can get them out in the 5th or 6th inning, then I think the odds really favor the Dodgers.  But if your starters go deep, we may be in big trouble.  I know a lot has been made about Corbin vs. the Dodgers, but I'm not sure that holds much weight.  This team has changed a lot over the years, and the only starter in our lineup that has struggled against him over an extended period of time is Corey Seager.  Seager and Turner are the only two starters with at least 20 at bats against him, and Turner is averaging .375 on him.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts.  I'll be around throughout the series if you guys will have me.  I think it's fun interacting with other fans.  Congrats on a heck of a game last night!

Hey Dodger fan, nice post!  I agree that the key will be how deep the nats starters can go. The real question is,  how long will Davey let them go? With our bullpen, they should not come out until their arms are falling off. I was a Dodger fan as a kid, and loved Fernando, Hershiser, and of course the Kirk Gibson Home Run! 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #59: October 02, 2019, 10:49:46 PM »
I'm slightly scared.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #60: October 02, 2019, 10:56:30 PM »
Hey Dodger fan, nice post!  I agree that the key will be how deep the nats starters can go. The real question is,  how long will Davey let them go? With our bullpen, they should not come out until their arms are falling off. I was a Dodger fan as a kid, and loved Fernando, Hershiser, and of course the Kirk Gibson Home Run!
Gibson hr most overhyped play ever. Ironic thanks to Scully the best sports announcer ever.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #61: October 02, 2019, 11:43:14 PM »
Hey DodgerBlue, nothing personal -- everyone outside of Los Angeles hates the freakin' Dodgers.  We know all about their strengths and weaknesses,  If I had to bet money on this series I'd pick the Dodgers.  But if we somehow manage to kick your ass, it will be sweeter than cherry pie.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #62: October 03, 2019, 12:04:07 AM »
I'm slightly scared.

:lmao:  of course (but I'm sure you won't be the only one here who will be anxious all day tomorrow :?)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63: October 03, 2019, 09:06:00 AM »
DodgerBlue  - First, thanks for your post.  In terms of nats self-scouting, one of the things that strikes me about the Nats offense is its balance.  Their likely line up tonight will have 7 hitters with 15 or more home runs, 8 if Suzuki starts instead of Gomes, and two 20 HR guys on the bench in Adams and Dozier.  Run well, good OBP/OPS, but other than Soto, Rendon, and the 2d basemen, they don't like to walk.  Rendon and Soto get the notice, but Turner and Kendrick, Asdrubel since he came over, and even Eaton in spots can carry the team when Rendon and Soto are off.  Kendrick actually had a terrific year, and Martinez has been good at sparing himi wear and tear.  Second, don't sleep on Soto on the bases - 12 steals - but Nats (Robles) seem to get picked off a lot.  Third, I would expect to see starters in relief given the schedule. Corbin in DC games 3 & 4, and possibly game 5 if he doesn't start.  Maybe Stras again?  Otherwise, middle relief is quite erratic and Doolittle has not been himself.  Rainey may match up v. righties (Turner) but he's wild. Suero may be used against lefties because he has a freaky cutter if he makes the roster (led the team in appearances but also  has the highest ERA of the guys who may make the roster). Finally, I would expect the Nats to go with 4 starters this series.  Sanchez is not up there with the strikeout guys or the WAR / Cy Young candidates, but he's been pretty effective. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #64: October 03, 2019, 09:18:11 AM »
The first two games will be played in the shadows. At least in part. Advantage pitchers. Advantage Nats. If this are high scoring games it’s hard to see the Nats keeping up.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65: October 03, 2019, 09:21:23 AM »
The first two games will be played in the shadows. At least in part. Advantage pitchers. Advantage Nats. If this are high scoring games it’s hard to see the Nats keeping up.
Well, Game 2 will be a 6:30 PDT start, so it will only be in the twilight for about a half an hour.  Buehler should like the 4:30 - 7 PM sky as much as Corbin. 

Offline tenken627

« Reply #66: October 03, 2019, 09:35:19 AM »
I did not know this:

We recommend sticking around until the end of the Nationals-Dodgers games. Washington and L.A. each had 29 blown saves this season, tied for most in the NL. Dodgers relievers had a considerably better ERA (3.78 to the Nats' 5.66), but things could get interesting late.

I knew Kenley Jansen had a rough year, but the Dodgers blew as many saves as we did this year?

Offline miller10

« Reply #67: October 03, 2019, 09:35:27 AM »
Hey DodgerBlue, nothing personal -- everyone outside of Los Angeles hates the freakin' Dodgers.  We know all about their strengths and weaknesses,  If I had to bet money on this series I'd pick the Dodgers.  But if we somehow manage to kick your ass, it will be sweeter than cherry pie.

Funny, I don't mind the Dodgers.  I would root for them over any one of our NL East rivals. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #68: October 03, 2019, 09:36:19 AM »
my hope is that we're a better team the last time we played them, and they aren't as good as they were the last time we played them.

This team just needs to play loose and we have a shot.  And no dumb pitching changes.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: October 03, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »
Well, Game 2 will be a 6:30 PDT start, so it will only be in the twilight for about a half an hour.  Buehler should like the 4:30 - 7 PM sky as much as Corbin.
Well. I said it would help the pitchers in general. I think that’s an advantage for the Nats. Even though we were only 0.1 runs behind them per game they have the better lineup IMHO.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #70: October 03, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »
I did not know this:

I knew Kenley Jansen had a rough year, but the Dodgers blew as many saves as we did this year?
Bullpens across baseball were terrible this season.

But yea, it's been pretty rough for the Dodgers. Joe Kelly has helped settle that down a bit. But if you can get into the bullpen, you can score. Maybe.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #71: October 03, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »
Mark Zuckerman
@MarkZuckerman
TBS announcing crew for Nats-Dodgers is Ernie Johnson, Jeff Francoeur and ... wait for it ...
@AlexChappell
. (She swears she’ll be impartial on air.)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #72: October 03, 2019, 11:26:13 AM »
Corbin Game 1
Stras a slightly abbreviated Game 2 start
Max Game 3
Sanchez Game 4
Stras Game 5

If Stras pitches Game 2, he can be on full resty for Game 5.  I'd rather have Stras for Game 5 than Corbin, although Corbin isn't a bad option at all.  Corbin could be ready to pitch in relief that game behind Stras.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #73: October 03, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »
I'm slightly scared.

They are the heavy favorites. Pressure is on them. If we somehow get ahead in Game 1 and even win it, the noose starts to tighten.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #74: October 03, 2019, 11:38:44 AM »
Corbin Game 1
Stras a slightly abbreviated Game 2 start
Max Game 3
Sanchez Game 4
Stras Game 5

If Stras pitches Game 2, he can be on full resty for Game 5.  I'd rather have Stras for Game 5 than Corbin, although Corbin isn't a bad option at all.  Corbin could be ready to pitch in relief that game behind Stras.

I saw an interview with DM  done Wed. night and he basically said Friday's starter is TBD. I think it's all on how Game 1 goes.