Author Topic: Wild Card - Getting Ready for the Brewers  (Read 3214 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Wild Card - Getting Ready for the Brewers
« Reply #100: September 30, 2019, 06:04:46 PM »
Aaron Barrett throwing out the first pitch tomorrow.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101: September 30, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »
The Brewers scare me. I know it’s a win or go home game - but they have nothing to lose. They lost their MVP. Braun is hurt. Cain is hurt. Nobody expects them to do anything. The pressure is on the Nats.

Yes. I’d much rather have the team “with nothing to lose” than the team with superior personnel.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #103: September 30, 2019, 06:07:04 PM »
The pressure is on both teams because the loser is done for the year. They're not some big underdog and we're not some stud favorite.

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #104: September 30, 2019, 06:11:48 PM »
Leta dwell on this statement. You can only conclude one of three things

1. Davey doesnt know this and no one in the analytics section has told him

2. Davey doesnt know this and neither does anyone else in the franchise.

3. Davey knows this and is doesnt care.

Which one of those gives you the most confidence that this team is going to pull out the WC Game?

I'll take #3...   I feel that there is less stress on the Nats because after Harper left, and the slow start, many people had written them off.  The thing that gives me confidence is that the pure baseball talent is top-notch and better than Brewers. The Nats have a clear advantage!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #105: September 30, 2019, 06:11:57 PM »
Does Davey know this?  I'm CERTAIN that he would start Stras if he did:|   Some of were laughed at for even suggesting that we start another pitcher besides Max.

:crackup:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #106: September 30, 2019, 06:14:23 PM »
Aaron Barrett throwing out the first pitch tomorrow.

bring your glove mitlen

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #107: September 30, 2019, 06:28:48 PM »
Ernie Johnson, Ron Darling and Jeff Francoeur in the booth for TBS with Lauren Shehadi on the field.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #108: September 30, 2019, 06:40:01 PM »
When Parra comes up to the plate she's going to think people are doing the gator chomp

Online imref

« Reply #109: September 30, 2019, 06:46:17 PM »
Nats Xtra tonight at 8 pm on MASN.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Online rbw5t

« Reply #111: September 30, 2019, 07:00:09 PM »
Last 5 starts:
29.2 IP, 26H, 17ER, 43K, 6BBs, 5.16 ERA, opponents batting .230 / .264 / . 460 against him, but BAbip is .303 which is really high.

Stras on the other hand:
30 IP, 18H, 8ER , 36Ks, 13 BBs, 2.40 ERA, opponents batting .171 / .269 / .324, BAbip is .215

:pray: that Max can give us four or five strong. 

I'm in the camp that felt it might be best to go with the hot hand (Stras), but...  Those differences don't seem to me to be strongly favoring Stras over Max.  The WHIPs are essentially identical, and the K/BB rate STRONGLY favors Max.  WHIP and K/BB are two of the most strongly predictive factors and correlate generally with success.  Max's much higher ERA is driven by the much higher slugging, which is driven by the HRs.  HR/Fly ball rate is one of the least predictive measures of future outcomes.  Max is a fly ball pitcher, and does give up homers (as we all know), but the quoted "last 5 game" stats don't really show any indication that Stras rather than Max is likely be more effective. 

Either way, I'm both hopeful and nervous!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #112: September 30, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »
Ernie Johnson, Ron Darling and Jeff Francoeur in the booth for TBS with Lauren Shehadi on the field.

Darling :)

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #113: September 30, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
wait, Gio will be pitching for them???

:w:

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
Re: Re: Wild Card watch
« Reply #114: September 30, 2019, 08:19:44 PM »
But we can't account for things like a random bloop scoring a run or a walk-off-balk.

No random bloops falling in if Willie Mays Adams is out there. :lol:

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #115: September 30, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »
I'm in the camp that felt it might be best to go with the hot hand (Stras), but...  Those differences don't seem to me to be strongly favoring Stras over Max.  The WHIPs are essentially identical, and the K/BB rate STRONGLY favors Max.  WHIP and K/BB are two of the most strongly predictive factors and correlate generally with success.  Max's much higher ERA is driven by the much higher slugging, which is driven by the HRs.  HR/Fly ball rate is one of the least predictive measures of future outcomes.  Max is a fly ball pitcher, and does give up homers (as we all know), but the quoted "last 5 game" stats don't really show any indication that Stras rather than Max is likely be more effective. 

Either way, I'm both hopeful and nervous!

If you look at the stats then yes, Stras has been way more effective in the past 5 games. Also, if you look at their entire career you will see almost identical numbers.    i.e.  both pitchers had a 1.17 K/inning. and their ERA was similar.   The fans on this board seem to value CY young awards and hype rather than overall success.   But, it shouldn't matter because both pitchers are great! I just hope that Davey didn't promise Stras any innings, or any kind of pre-game compromise. I don't think Stras would want to rock the boat anyway. 

Online imref

« Reply #116: September 30, 2019, 08:55:12 PM »
I honestly don't think it's going to matter all that much who starts.  Max, unless he's pitching a no-hitter, likely goes 3 innings, then Strasburg comes in.  They both were going to pitch no matter who started.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117: September 30, 2019, 09:01:34 PM »
If you look at the stats then yes, Stras has been way more effective in the past 5 games. Also, if you look at their entire career you will see almost identical numbers.    i.e.  both pitchers had a 1.17 K/inning. and their ERA was similar.   The fans on this board seem to value CY young awards and hype rather than overall success.   But, it shouldn't matter because both pitchers are great! I just hope that Davey didn't promise Stras any innings, or any kind of pre-game compromise. I don't think Stras would want to rock the boat anyway.

I think the Stats don’t say Strasburg has been Way better. He’s walked more batters and struck out less. And I think the number for ERA look way better if that ball that Soto lost in the lights is an error and not a double.

I think you could have made the case to start Strasburg. But I don’t think it’s idiotic to start the guy who seems to have better control right now. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118: September 30, 2019, 09:01:55 PM »
I honestly don't think it's going to matter all that much who starts.  Max, unless he's pitching a no-hitter, likely goes 3 innings, then Strasburg comes in.  They both were going to pitch no matter who started.

3 innings?

Online imref

« Reply #119: September 30, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »
3 innings?

Yeah, I don't think he's going deep into the game.   

FWIW, I took a look at last year's results, both NL starters went at least 6 (Freeland went 6.2).  On the AL side, Severino was done after 4 and the A's bull-penned.

In 2017, the Yankees starter went 0.1 (again, Severino), and the Twins starter (Ervin Santana) went 2.  On the NL side, Jon Grey went 1.1 for Colorado and Grienke went 3.2 for Arizona.

Online imref

« Reply #120: September 30, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »
Let Teddy Win! @LetTeddyWin
1m
Gates open at 5:30pm for the #Nats #Brewers NL Wild Card game at Nationals Park.
There will be giveways at the gate.
Nationals batting practice starts at 5:40pm.
First pitch 8:08pm.

Kolko tweets that The US Army Chorus Quartet will sing the anthem. DC Washington will sing God Bless America.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #121: September 30, 2019, 09:12:43 PM »
The Nats are saying that all gates open at 5:30pm on Tuesday

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #122: September 30, 2019, 09:18:42 PM »
The Brewers scare me. I know it’s a win or go home game - but they have nothing to lose. They lost their MVP. Braun is hurt. Cain is hurt. Nobody expects them to do anything. The pressure is on the Nats.
Underestimating the Brewers would be a huge mistake. Mike Moustakas is one of the tougher players I have ever had the pleasure of watching. He is THE EXAMPLE of the saying, 'It's not the size of the dog in fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog'. Winning seems to follow him around.
If our Nationals are gonna win this game they’re gonna have to shake off their demons then go through Mike Moustakas to get it. This will not be easy that is for sure.

The key to success - If you really want it, “YOU FREAKING TAKE IT!!!!

:panic: :woop: :metal: :woop: :panic:

LETS GO NAAAAAAAAATS!

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123: September 30, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »
Underestimating the Brewers would be a huge mistake. Mike Moustakas is one of the tougher players I have ever had the pleasure of watching. He is THE EXAMPLE of the saying, 'It's not the size of the dog in fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog'. Winning seems to follow him around.
If our Nationals are gonna win this game they’re gonna have to shake off their demons then go through Mike Moustakas to get it. This will not be easy that is for sure.

The key to success - If you really want it, “YOU FREAKING TAKE IT!!!!

:panic: :woop: :metal: :woop: :panic:

LETS GO NAAAAAAAAATS!

:hysterical:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #124: September 30, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
Well then, we can just sign Moustakas in free agency . . .