Author Topic: Playoff Ticket Sales & Metro Situation  (Read 6577 times)

Offline djbaseball13

Re: Playoff Ticket Sales & Metro Situation
« Reply #50: September 30, 2019, 08:50:28 PM »
Thanks - I didn't see that one earlier. I hate paying a lot of money for parking so that might be the one I use. freak Metro for not staying open late.

what time does the game start? 

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #51: September 30, 2019, 09:01:06 PM »

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #52: September 30, 2019, 09:32:04 PM »
I may just park in the garage at the Anacostia Metro on the other side of the Douglass Bridge. Done it before - it’s either a one-stop Metro ride (from the opposite direction of most of the crowds) or a 10-15 minute walk, though it’s not the greatest. Parking is the standard Metro rate of under $5 though.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #53: September 30, 2019, 09:51:49 PM »
I may just park in the garage at the Anacostia Metro on the other side of the Douglass Bridge. Done it before - it’s either a one-stop Metro ride (from the opposite direction of most of the crowds) or a 10-15 minute walk, though it’s not the greatest. Parking is the standard Metro rate of under $5 though.

I know others that do that. You don't think it will get full?

Since I live outside the beltway I'm thinking of driving to the Greenbelt station (Green line) so I can avoid transferring.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #54: September 30, 2019, 09:53:23 PM »
You can always park at the Pentagon City Mall - the lot across Army/Navy from the Mall - for free after 5:00, and take the Metro from there...

Or park in the Mall structure for a few bucks...

Online rbw5t

« Reply #55: October 01, 2019, 12:09:03 AM »

Is it really a 10-15 min walk?  My map app says 28 min.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #56: October 01, 2019, 01:13:56 AM »
You can always park at the Pentagon City Mall - the lot across Army/Navy from the Mall - for free after 5:00, and take the Metro from there...

Ballston Quarter is also an option. Their parking lot is never close to full.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #57: October 01, 2019, 05:33:32 AM »

I'd leave off the walk, as some guy emerged from the wooded area over the summer between the station and the fridge and knifed a bridge worker to death in broad daylight.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #58: October 01, 2019, 08:22:17 AM »
Does any other major sports team in a major media market have this issue with public transportation? Like, do people in Chicago or NYC really not know if the trains are going to run late for a playoff game two days before the game?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #59: October 01, 2019, 08:28:50 AM »
How late does the Circulator run to Union Station?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60: October 01, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »
Does any other major sports team in a major media market have this issue with public transportation? Like, do people in Chicago or NYC really not know if the trains are going to run late for a playoff game two days before the game?

Well since those systems run 24 hours, no. Also, the populations of those cities are multiples of the population of DC.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #61: October 01, 2019, 08:40:03 AM »

NYC subway system and the LIRR run 24 hours.   Several of the train lines in Chicago are 24 hours as well, I'm not sure about those that serve the ballparks though.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #62: October 01, 2019, 08:50:54 AM »
Well since those systems run 24 hours, no. Also, the populations of those cities are multiples of the population of DC.

NYC subway system and the LIRR run 24 hours.   Several of the train lines in Chicago are 24 hours as well, I'm not sure about those that serve the ballparks though.
Pick another city then that is a top 10 media market and has this issue with it's public transportation system.

This shouldn't be an issue. At least 25k people are going to want to metro to and from the park. If you can't come up with a way to be profitable (or even break even) by keeping it open and running for the game, then people need to be fired.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #63: October 01, 2019, 08:53:17 AM »

Boston fans left a 2007 ALCS game early in droves because the Green Line was shutting down for the night. But that was an extra innings game I believe.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #64: October 01, 2019, 08:54:47 AM »

Both the Cubs and Sox are on the red line which is one of the two 24 hour lines.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65: October 01, 2019, 09:17:04 AM »
Pick another city then that is a top 10 media market and has this issue with it's public transportation system.

This shouldn't be an issue. At least 25k people are going to want to metro to and from the park. If you can't come up with a way to be profitable (or even break even) by keeping it open and running for the game, then people need to be fired.

Yes. All those folks taking the subway in Houston,  Dallas, LA and Atlanta are laughing at us.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #66: October 01, 2019, 09:23:58 AM »
Yes. All those folks taking the subway in Houston,  Dallas, LA and Atlanta are laughing at us.

How about including Philly and Boston, old cities with old subway systems to make it a real comparison?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #67: October 01, 2019, 09:32:42 AM »
Midnight on evenings when the Nats are home - assuming they don't change it for this game. I was thinking of parking near Union Station and taking the Circulator...

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #68: October 01, 2019, 09:42:48 AM »
Is it really a 10-15 min walk?  My map app says 28 min.

I wouldn't walk that after dark. Maybe I'm too cautious, but...

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #69: October 01, 2019, 09:51:43 AM »
When Metro decides not to stay open late, I wonder if they take into account that a significant number of fans will drive, who otherwise would take metro, and Metro thus loses significant revenue from fans traveling TO the game.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #70: October 01, 2019, 09:55:22 AM »
When Metro decides not to stay open late, I wonder if they take into account that a significant number of fans will drive, who otherwise would take metro, and Metro thus loses significant revenue from fans traveling TO the game.
You would like to think they would, but given the fact that they didn't take into account significant things like regular track maintenance preventing the trains from catching on fire, I don't think we can assume anything when it comes to WMTA.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #71: October 01, 2019, 10:47:32 AM »
Is this thread really going on for pages and pages after it was already announced that metro was in fact staying open late tonight??  Seems like an excellent use of time  :P

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #72: October 01, 2019, 11:01:01 AM »
Is this thread really going on for pages and pages after it was already announced that metro was in fact staying open late tonight??  Seems like an excellent use of time  :P

Good point. Let’s go back to the fire Dave thread and add a couple hundred more pages of drivel to the WWW. :mg:

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #73: October 01, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »

The Union Station-Navy Yard route is no more. It was replaced a couple of years ago by a route that runs from Eastern Market to L'Enfant Plaza.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #74: October 01, 2019, 11:57:28 AM »

I've done that quite often. I'm just trying to avoid using Metro tonight if I can.