Author Topic: Keep Anthony Rendon a Nat  (Read 1501 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Keep Anthony Rendon a Nat
« Reply #25: September 09, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »
Don't see us winning a whole lot with Jed Lowrie our 3B, a rookie Kieboom at 2B, Matt Adams/Zimm at 1B and a prayer that Victor Robles becomes more than a glove-first CF. We have close to 0 prospects in the organization and team that is bad at scouting free agents.

How does keeping Rendon fix your farm system?  You have no homegrown talent to look forward to.  Scherzer and Corbin were FA's...they did OK with them...

Zimm better be gone...I don't care what Inanimate object they plant at 1st in his stead...homegrown or not...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #26: September 09, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
Also, if you draft a guy in the first round, is he really "homegrown?"

The only reason Rendon wasn't taken first overall was because of his injury. We didn't find him and develop him.

our org's track record on non-obvious draft picks is sublime. basically batting like 2005 guzman.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #27: September 09, 2019, 12:22:07 PM »
How does keeping Rendon fix your farm system?  You have no homegrown talent to look forward to.  Scherzer and Corbin were FA's...they did OK with them...

Zimm better be gone...I don't care what Inanimate object they plant at 1st in his stead...homegrown or not...

Keeping Rendon helps field a competitive team next year and for at least the next few years. Turner-Robles-Rendon-Soto is a good half of the hitters. Letting him go basically means we have 2 hitters on the roster who can play every day and be counted on for an OPS over .800. Not going to win with that. You said all that matters is winning and losing Rendon opens a black pit of despair at 3B for the foreseeable future when first base is a sinkhole and 2B is likely just as bad.

And it doesn't take rocket science for Rizzo to say, "You know, I think our team would be better by signing the best pitcher on the market." Max has worked out better than anyone could have realistically hoped.

How about Wieters? Rafael Soriano? Trevor Rosenthal? Even Dozier? Papelbon? Nate McClouth? The middle-of-the-road signings and trades are Rizzo's kryptonite. Finding a diamond-in-the-rough is impossible with this organization.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #28: September 09, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »
Now there's an inspiring story

Nate McClouth

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #29: September 09, 2019, 12:50:46 PM »
Keeping Rendon helps field a competitive team next year and for at least the next few years. Turner-Robles-Rendon-Soto is a good half of the hitters. Letting him go basically means we have 2 hitters on the roster who can play every day and be counted on for an OPS over .800. Not going to win with that. You said all that matters is winning and losing Rendon opens a black pit of despair at 3B for the foreseeable future when first base is a sinkhole and 2B is likely just as bad.

And it doesn't take rocket science for Rizzo to say, "You know, I think our team would be better by signing the best pitcher on the market." Max has worked out better than anyone could have realistically hoped.

How about Wieters? Rafael Soriano? Trevor Rosenthal? Even Dozier? Papelbon? Nate McClouth? The middle-of-the-road signings and trades are Rizzo's kryptonite. Finding a diamond-in-the-rough is impossible with this organization.

You missed my point...the homegrown aspect doesn't mean squat to me.  I'd still want Rendon back even if we picked him up at the trade deadline this year.  You are getting too emotional over labels...winners win...gimme winners.  I don't care if you pick them up off the trash heap...like Cabby...prove you're a winner...your "Nats pedigree" means nothing...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #30: September 09, 2019, 12:52:19 PM »
Cabby has won nothing. And you didn't want them to sign him . . . ?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #31: September 09, 2019, 12:53:57 PM »
Cabby has won nothing. And you didn't want them to sign him . . . ?

No I didn't...but he's proven to be a big asset.  I can admit when I'm wrong...try it sometime...  :P

Nobody on this team has won anything...but there are guys who are winners...

Being a homegrown Nat is meaningless...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: September 09, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »
You missed my point...the homegrown aspect doesn't mean squat to me.  I'd still want Rendon back even if we picked him up at the trade deadline this year.  You are getting too emotional over labels...winners win...gimme winners.  I don't care if you pick them up off the trash heap...like Cabby...prove you're a winner...your "Nats pedigree" means nothing...

Some fans do like having connection to the players and like seeing players they have watched their entire careers. That might not be you, but folks will be more upset letting a good player walk if he’s been there for a long time vs. someone who just came last year.

The average Non-WNFF fan actually gets attached to players.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #33: September 09, 2019, 01:46:29 PM »
Some fans do like having connection to the players and like seeing players they have watched their entire careers. That might not be you, but folks will be more upset letting a good player walk if he’s been there for a long time vs. someone who just came last year.

That's true.  A good gm shouldn't look at that attachment too much though and it should be a bit of a two way street.   A lot of mlb players will take a home town discount at least in regards to term length in exchange for some early security.  Boras clients are just here to be enjoyed while under team control before going and counting their money on some crappy team wanting to make a splash.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #34: September 09, 2019, 01:48:49 PM »
Some of us WNFFers, too.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #35: September 09, 2019, 02:08:38 PM »
What, you do not view the team with the same jaundiced eye as the rest of the jaded cognoscenti? 
Some of us WNFFers, too.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #36: September 09, 2019, 02:11:04 PM »
Uncomfortably un-jaded for an old guy.

What, you do not view the team with the same jaundiced eye as the rest of the jaded cognoscenti?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #37: September 09, 2019, 02:16:39 PM »
You'd think all those years of working with Boras would lend itself to some hometown deals, right? :lmao:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #38: September 09, 2019, 02:16:43 PM »

Watching them lose for their entire career isn't much fun for anyone...

Relying on homegrown to fill your roster just because they are homegrown doesn't make much sense...to me anyway...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #39: September 09, 2019, 02:25:10 PM »
Watching them lose for their entire career isn't much fun for anyone...

Relying on homegrown to fill your roster just because they are homegrown doesn't make much sense...to me anyway...

Relying on homegrown to fill your roster is also the cheapest and the most cost-effective. In this situation, we're going to be spending money on the roster anyways, so might as well spend it on Rendon.

$23 million next year to Rendon or $23 million split between Jed Lowrie, Jonathan Schoop and Dellin Betances?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #40: September 09, 2019, 02:36:37 PM »
Relying on homegrown to fill your roster is also the cheapest and the most cost-effective. In this situation, we're going to be spending money on the roster anyways, so might as well spend it on Rendon.

$23 million next year to Rendon or $23 million split between Jed Lowrie, Jonathan Schoop and Dellin Betances?
23 million to Rendon?  I don't think Boras signs for anything less than Arenado's 32 million.  Even still, though Rendon for 32 million/year for the next couple years is a no brainer.  It's the 5,6,7,8 years that could be problematic.

Getting value out of team controlled home grown talent or traded team control players is cost effective.  Handing out extensions that are higher than he could hope to get in free agency isn't.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #41: September 09, 2019, 02:37:40 PM »
You all need to think like casual fans and not the super sophisticated fans you are. If he’s drafted by the Nats, yes, he’s home grown. Duh. If he’s popular with the fans (as in Harper or Stras) is doesn’t matter if it makes sense to sign him from a fan support perspective. If you lose popular players you lose fans. It’s simple.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #42: September 09, 2019, 02:41:21 PM »
23 million to Rendon?  I don't think Boras signs for anything less than Arenado's 32 million.  Even still, though Rendon for 32 million/year for the next couple years is a no brainer.  It's the 5,6,7,8 years that could be problematic.

Getting value out of team controlled home grown talent or traded team control players is cost effective.  Handing out extensions that are higher than he could hope to get in free agency isn't.

I don't care about the final years because a) I think we'll be rebuilding by then anyways and b) I think Rendon's bat will age decently. More Adrian Beltre than Pablo Sandoval.

We have 0 players in the system who can even OPS .600 in the majors at 3B and finding stopaps for the next 6 years sounds extremely unappealing to me and considering the roster construction right now we need to continue to play in win-now mode, not small-market, "oh we tried" mode.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #43: September 09, 2019, 02:44:51 PM »

Cognoscenti good. Condescension bad.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #44: September 09, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »

Rendon will laugh at $23MM/yr...and rightfully so...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #45: September 09, 2019, 02:46:45 PM »
Rendon will laugh at $23MM/yr...

So make it $30 million a year, whatever. Now you've missed the point.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #46: September 09, 2019, 02:50:03 PM »
So make it $30 million a year, whatever. Now you've missed the point.

You threw out the figure...how did I miss your point?

I'd give him $30MM...I doubt the Lerners will...at least for more than 5, maybe 6 years...

I'f he's looking for more term than that...let him walk...he'll likely be just like Zimm by then...just stealing money...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #47: September 09, 2019, 02:55:08 PM »
You threw out the figure...how did I miss your point?

I'd give him $30MM...I doubt the Lerners will...at least for more than 5, maybe 6 years...

I'f he's looking for more term than that...let him walk...he'll likely be just like Zimm by then...just stealing money...

My point was that we're spending that $30 million on the roster anyways so where is it better spent? 3-4 mediocre dudes at best or on a stud 3B?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #48: September 09, 2019, 02:56:32 PM »
My point was that we're spending that $30 million on the roster anyways so where is it better spent? 3-4 mediocre dudes at best or on a stud 3B?

I'm not arguing that with you...not sure how we got here...I said I wanted him back...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #49: September 09, 2019, 02:58:28 PM »
I'm not arguing that with you...not sure how we got here...I said I wanted him back...

Got it. I assume you just think $30mm is too much, I just think it's the price of an elite player, but thinking it's too much is a reasonable  take.