Author Topic: Keep Anthony Rendon a Nat  (Read 1522 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Keep Anthony Rendon a Nat
« Topic Start: September 08, 2019, 02:53:04 PM »
Going to Nats Park on Friday, September 13 for your Tony Two Bags bobblehead? Want to see this extraordinary player remain a Nat for a long time? Let the @Nationals know how you feel by showing up at the ballpark with signs expressing your appreciation for Rendon and your desire to see the Nats #KeepAntANat. Spread the word to help us fill the ballpark with signs.

Online hotshot

Re: Keep Anthony Rendon a Nat
« Reply #1: September 08, 2019, 07:40:39 PM »
Love the sentiment you express but  ....the Lerner's and Anthony are gonna do what they think is in their best interests. A total sellout with all the signage possible won't influence either party.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #2: September 08, 2019, 09:13:22 PM »
Love the sentiment you express but  ....the Lerner's and Anthony are gonna do what they think is in their best interests. A total sellout with all the signage possible won't influence either party.

Probably not, but it's the sort of thing that fans can do to express their opinion that will be viewed by those involved.  Thanks to the original poster for suggesting it. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #3: September 08, 2019, 09:49:06 PM »
This is the most inane thread on this forum.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #4: September 08, 2019, 10:04:34 PM »
I appreciate the passion for wanting to keep Rendon in a Nats uniform, though it may not be cool to say on this really sophisticated and jaded forum.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: September 08, 2019, 10:05:25 PM »
Going to Nats Park on Friday, September 13 for your Tony Two Bags bobblehead? Want to see this extraordinary player remain a Nat for a long time? Let the @Nationals know how you feel by showing up at the ballpark with signs expressing your appreciation for Rendon and your desire to see the Nats #KeepAntANat. Spread the word to help us fill the ballpark with signs.
good to see you post. If you look at the extend Rendon thread, there's a lot of skepticism about the team stepping up. While I think the attendance drop is about a lot of things other than letting Bryce walk, I think the Nats could get themselves in trouble if they let all the home grown top tier go and they settle back to mid pack

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #6: September 09, 2019, 07:51:59 AM »

Are you using my quote from another thread or too lazy to post your own on this thread.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #7: September 09, 2019, 08:26:09 AM »

This is a great idea regardless of the impact on negotiations, it sure can't hurt and Rendon deserves a big send off from the fans.

That said, I think that a large number of Nats fans are being unrealistic with the demand to resign Rendon. He picked Boras as his agent and the last big Boras client signed in March. The Nats should handle Rendon exactly as they did Harper, following the Nats last game make him a fair offer, once free agency starts after the World Series ends that offer expires and the team moves on.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #8: September 09, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »
Can't tell you the number of Nats fans that I have casual conversations with that say exactly the same thing. The ennui over this topic is real.

good to see you post. If you look at the extend Rendon thread, there's a lot of skepticism about the team stepping up. While I think the attendance drop is about a lot of things other than letting Bryce walk, I think the Nats could get themselves in trouble if they let all the home grown top tier go and they settle back to mid pack

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #9: September 09, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »
This is a great idea regardless of the impact on negotiations, it sure can't hurt and Rendon deserves a big send off from the fans.

That did, I think that a large number of Nats fans are being unrealistic with the demand to resign Rendon. He picked Boras as his agent and the last big Boras client signed in March. The Nats should handle Rendon exactly as they did Harper, following the Nats last game make him a fair offer, once free agency starts after the World Series ends that offer expires and the team moves on.

Rendon is more valuable than Harper to the success of the team minus the star power . I do recognize that attendance in our ball park and others will spike with Harpers presence with his potential walk-offs and drama versus Rendons' that has almost been non-existant ( two IIRC ).

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: September 09, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »
When he is gone next year you will be reading about: 

1. How he didn’t take losing seriously enough.
2. How he wasn’t really clutch.
3. How he didn’t really want to be in DC.
4 How he was aloof.

And whatever else the Lerner’s feed to Boswell.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #11: September 09, 2019, 09:34:57 AM »

That did, I think that a large number of Nats fans are being unrealistic with the demand to resign Rendon. He picked Boras as his agent and the last big Boras client signed in March. The Nats should handle Rendon exactly as they did Harper, following the Nats last game make him a fair offer, once free agency starts after the World Series ends that offer expires and the team moves on.

Yep, agreed.  I'd definitely like to see Rendon stick around a few more years.  At this point, the only way to do that is to give him more than what Boras thinks he could possibly get in an open market, and that is probably a year or two longer than he'll actually get in free agency.   

Maybe we should all bring signs telling Rendon to find a new agent... Drop the Rat and Stay A Nat!?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #12: September 09, 2019, 10:11:46 AM »
Looking forward to Mark Lerner dropping the "MASN case got settled too late" excuse in December.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #13: September 09, 2019, 11:12:21 AM »
Can't tell you the number of Nats fans that I have casual conversations with that say exactly the same thing. The ennui over this topic is real.

Who are the good teams that are signing their position players to long term, high dollar contracts into their mid thirties?  Not signing Harper and Rendon is all about not wanting to hamstring the baseball team 4-5 years from now, and the LAC arguments seem way off base.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #14: September 09, 2019, 11:15:07 AM »
Who are the good teams that are signing their position players to long term, high dollar contracts into their mid thirties?  Not signing Harper and Rendon is all about not wanting to hamstring the baseball team 4-5 years from now, and the LAC arguments seem way off base.
If that's really the case, and you only care about the ball club 4-5 years from now, there was no reason not to move Rendon, Scherzer, Strasburg, and Doolittle at the deadline.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #15: September 09, 2019, 11:25:09 AM »
If that's really the case, and you only care about the ball club 4-5 years from now, there was no reason not to move Rendon, Scherzer, Strasburg, and Doolittle at the deadline.
I think the goal is to be competitive every year, and not become the Angels or Tigers.

Even the Red Sox owners don't seem to happy about winning a world series and leaving the future an expensive mess.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #16: September 09, 2019, 11:26:10 AM »
If Rendon leaves I think the team's popularity (read attendance) takes a big hit with fans. This would be coming on Harper leaving. And if he signs with the Phillies, god help the Lerners.

The only thing that can save them is a good playoff showing.

Online hotshot

« Reply #17: September 09, 2019, 11:38:55 AM »
I had zero issues with Bryce leaving. I'd feel the same about Stras.

Feel the opposite about Rendon, an everyday player who is one of the games' elite hitters. The Lerner's need to put legit money on the table, not the kind of "deferred" offer Harper got. If Rendon then still chooses to walk, well ...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #18: September 09, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »

Feel the opposite about Rendon, an everyday player who is one of the games' elite hitters. The Lerner's need to put legit money on the table, not the kind of "deferred" offer Harper got. If Rendon then still chooses to walk, well ...

How many Rendon jerseys do you see around town? Slightly more than zero? He's up there with Max for the core fan base but not at that super star level of Harper.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #19: September 09, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
I had zero issues with Bryce leaving...

I did.  It wasn't soon enough...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #20: September 09, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
How many Rendon jerseys do you see around town? Slightly more than zero? He's up there with Max for the core fan base but not at that super star level of Harper.

Letting Rendon walk tells the fans that any player they love will be gone soon, too, and that ownership has no interest in locking up homegrown players. Harper walking away had a million factors into it. Desmond & J-Zimm had their red flags, too. Rendon - not so much. Not easily replaceable, not a boom-or-bust bat, not a dividing factor in the organization. Great hitter, great defender, and our team is undoubtedly weaker - by a huge degree - next year and for years to come. At this point, letting him walk sends a clear message to fans that any player they develop will be gone as soon as they get long-term expensive. But don't worry - we'll use that cash savings to smartly spend on guys like Trevor Rosenthal!

Say goodbye to Soto in a few years, everyone. Hope we win a World Series by then!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #21: September 09, 2019, 11:56:31 AM »
Letting Rendon walk tells the fans that any player they love will be gone soon, too, and that ownership has no interest in locking up homegrown players anymore. Say goodbye to Soto in a few years, everyone. Hope we win a World Series by then!

I don't give a crap about homegrown players (other than Ovi and Backy, of course) I just want to win...

You win...I'll love you...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #22: September 09, 2019, 12:02:20 PM »

Stras is a different issue. If he opts out, it's likely to try and get more money to stay here. But if you're going to pay more money, I'd rather get the younger, better Cole.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #23: September 09, 2019, 12:05:02 PM »
I don't give a crap about homegrown players (other than Ovi and Backy, of course) I just want to win...

You win...I'll love you...

Don't see us winning a whole lot with Jed Lowrie our 3B, a rookie Kieboom at 2B, Matt Adams/Zimm at 1B and a prayer that Victor Robles becomes more than a glove-first CF. We have close to 0 prospects in the organization and team that is bad at scouting free agents.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #24: September 09, 2019, 12:08:21 PM »
Also, if you draft a guy in the first round, is he really "homegrown?"

The only reason Rendon wasn't taken first overall was because of his injury. We didn't find him and develop him.