Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Yasel Antuna, OF  (Read 8105 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Yasel Antuna, OF
« Reply #150: June 23, 2022, 09:29:04 AM »
WNFF (and Nats fans in general) are pretty oblivious to scouting and prospects. They expcet guys to race through the system and thats simply not how baseball works.

A sub .800 OPS in High A is nothing special, but its also nothing to snear at. He's behind schedule from where we hoped, but Im not sure why we'd give up on him or declare him a bust at age 22.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #151: June 23, 2022, 10:00:22 AM »
Man, I am active on a few boards for my teams and none are as toxic as this one. I never said anything glowing, just giving an update. He's showing some life at the plate and I hope he keeps showing improvement. The most active members on this board are nothing but negative, it's exhausting

I didn't see Elvir's post as negative, but more of realistic observations. Elvir has consistently shown his baseball IQ is pretty high, and many here (myself included) like his standpoint and insight on players. I'm not a baseball player and I never have been. I'm a fan and a numbers nerd. I like the honesty of people who have played, people who have scouted, and people who understand more about the game than just the numbers. While it is good to see a guy do well, we have to keep honest expectations in check.

I also don't think you were going out of your way to say "THIS GUY IS THE BEST". You were just reporting on his recent play. I didn't take Elvir's post as an attack on yours.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #152: June 23, 2022, 10:56:51 AM »
The last sentence of Elvir’s post was probably a bit over the top but he is just trying to be realistic and adding that he has seen the guy play. I respect his baseball knowledge as others do. No reason to give up on Antuna. Just can’t assume he will be a big leaguer. Like Kieboom!

Offline Section214

« Reply #153: June 23, 2022, 11:09:37 AM »

I didn't see Elvir's post as negative, but more of realistic observations. Elvir has consistently shown his baseball IQ is pretty high, and many here (myself included) like his standpoint and insight on players. I'm not a baseball player and I never have been. I'm a fan and a numbers nerd. I like the honesty of people who have played, people who have scouted, and people who understand more about the game than just the numbers. While it is good to see a guy do well, we have to keep honest expectations in check.

I also don't think you were going out of your way to say "THIS GUY IS THE BEST". You were just reporting on his recent play. I didn't take Elvir's post as an attack on yours.

Fair enough, I don't notice Elvir in particular being negative that just happened to be the negative post that annoyed me. I know it's hard going through a rebuild, but man, people are so negative about everything on here. Keep the negativity to the clubhouse consternation threads and let the blind optimists enjoy the farm in peace!

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #154: June 23, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »
Fair enough, I don't notice Elvir in particular being negative that just happened to be the negative post that annoyed me. I know it's hard going through a rebuild, but man, people are so negative about everything on here. Keep the negativity to the clubhouse consternation threads and let the blind optimists enjoy the farm in peace!

I think it's a hard pill to swallow for many that the Nats had built a contender from 2102-2019, finally won it all after all the gut wrenching losses and playoff misses, and then the piper came calling. The franchise was so mis-managed before Rizzo came on board, and if any fans followed the team from Montreal (like me) it was DECADES of mis-management. Maybe fans feel like that is what we are seeing the franchise return towards? Plus, let's just be honest here, the world has been pretty crazy since the end of 2019. I think fans were hoping to see something on the field that would help them cope with how hard regular life has become. That hasn't happened.

I for one enjoy watching players develop, and hopefully this bottoming out of talent was enough to let the organization know that in order to be a powerhouse organization, you've not only gotta draft well and win trades and signings, but also learn how to develop well.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #155: June 23, 2022, 12:54:57 PM »
:clap:  Nice!  You want blind optimism, there's the Theophile thread.  No one has seen enough of him to be down on him.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #156: June 23, 2022, 03:46:47 PM »
Man, I am active on a few boards for my teams and none are as toxic as this one. I never said anything glowing, just giving an update. He's showing some life at the plate and I hope he keeps showing improvement. The most active members on this board are nothing but negative, it's exhausting

I don't mean to be negative, just realistic.  I'm not a particularly negative guy on other prospects in the system; for example, I think at least one of Rutledge or Henry likely will be a legit starter and the other a reasonable reliever.  I've just seen enough of Antuna versus similarly-aged corner OF prospects in other systems (and infield prospects, back when that's what he was) to think he's not much more than a lottery ticket at this point.

One thing I particularly don't understand with him was the move to LF.  When moving a guy off SS who has the athletic traits but has trouble with grounders and throwing accuracy but not strength, the usual move is CF.  That describes Antuna almost perfectly.  He has the tools to play CF - if not well, then at least not worse than a lot of the destined-for-the-corners dudes you see there in A+.  And in CF you get a lot more work, so it's a better place to learn on the job than a corner.  That's not his fault at all, but rather the team's.  And frankly, a guy who was learning CF, might stick there, and is OPSing .777 at 22 in A+ is a much different prospect than a guy who's in LF with no apparent organizational appetite to even try him at 8.

And I certainly didn't mean my post as an attack on yours - which merely provided helpful information.  Sorry if it came off that way.

WNFF (and Nats fans in general) are pretty oblivious to scouting and prospects. They expcet guys to race through the system and thats simply not how baseball works.

A sub .800 OPS in High A is nothing special, but its also nothing to snear at. He's behind schedule from where we hoped, but Im not sure why we'd give up on him or declare him a bust at age 22.

The thing that bothers me with him is there isn't a single major tool that is close to MLB-caliber right now, and counting his 2020 alternate site gig he's in his sixth year as a pro.  There's nothing to carry him and surmount the many negative/neutrals in his profile.  With a lot of fringey dudes in high-A (and this even applies to 22-year-olds), you have some profile that translates to "has a chance if he can maintain his average/power levels, cut down on Ks, and up his defensive value by showing he either can play above-average LF or average RF."  With Antuna, it's "has to improve his average, has to improve his power, has to show he can play any defensive position even remotely adequately, and maintain his plate discipline and contact skills the whole way up."  There are just too many things that need to go right - and given his status with the 40/options, need to go right very soon - for me to see it working out.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #157: June 23, 2022, 07:36:46 PM »
He's 22. Thats still pretty young. The average age of a Double A is 23. And he effectively missed two seasons due to injury and pandemic.

This team is going to be rebuilding for at least one more season. There is plenty of room on the 40 player roster. No decision really needs to be made on this guy until 2024 at the earliest. And Im doubting the Nationals are competitive then.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #158: June 23, 2022, 07:41:43 PM »
He's 22. Thats still pretty young. The average age of a Double A is 23. And he effectively missed two seasons due to injury and pandemic.

This team is going to be rebuilding for at least one more season. There is plenty of room on the 40 player roster. No decision really needs to be made on this guy until 2024 at the earliest. And Im doubting the Nationals are competitive then.

Yes, but the average age in AA is somewhat inflated by org guys.  The actual prospects there are usually 21 or 22 on opening day, although COVID has messed everything up to the point that it's taking a few years to work out of it.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #159: June 23, 2022, 07:55:11 PM »
Thats pretty much my point. Combine missing all of 2019 injured and all of 2020 not playing, and he is well behind wherr his expected development would normally be.

If this were 2016 or 2017, sure, I'd say leave him unprotected. But this is a 100+ loss team and wont be .500 for probably 3 more seasons. No reason to give up on a young guy so we can sign a 33 year old journeyman in two years

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #160: June 23, 2022, 08:14:11 PM »
Thats pretty much my point. Combine missing all of 2019 injured and all of 2020 not playing, and he is well behind wherr his expected development would normally be.

If this were 2016 or 2017, sure, I'd say leave him unprotected. But this is a 100+ loss team and wont be .500 for probably 3 more seasons. No reason to give up on a young guy so we can sign a 33 year old journeyman in two years

2019 yes, but he was at the alternate site in 2020.  Better than nothing.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #161: June 23, 2022, 08:57:23 PM »
2019 yes, but he was at the alternate site in 2020.  Better than nothing.
Its still not a season or even proper development. Antuna has effectively missed two seasons.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #162: August 07, 2022, 08:45:24 PM »
On fire so far in August: .353 / .500 / .765 in 6 games with 2HRs and a SB. 3BBs and 4Ks as well.

Offline Section214

« Reply #163: August 07, 2022, 09:00:12 PM »
On fire so far in August: .353 / .500 / .765 in 6 games with 2HRs and a SB. 3BBs and 4Ks as well.

Trying to nail down a 40 man roster spot I see... I would like to see Antuna get one more offseason with us and then get a start in Harrisburg next year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164: August 07, 2022, 09:17:50 PM »
Does anyone think he would be grabbed as a rule 5 if he was dropped from the 40 man? At what point would he be a Milfa?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #165: August 07, 2022, 09:19:46 PM »
Why wouldnt we add him to the 40 man roster?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166: August 07, 2022, 09:31:02 PM »
Why wouldnt we add him to the 40 man roster?
Jordan Weems?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167: August 07, 2022, 09:32:33 PM »
Jordan Weems?
more seriously, Rutledge needs to be added, maybe a few others.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #168: August 07, 2022, 09:34:21 PM »
Plenty of guys we can drop. Cruz, Stevenson, Weems, Cishek . . .

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #169: August 07, 2022, 09:39:03 PM »
Stevenson is off the 40 man. So is Adrian Sanchez I think. Nats lifers.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #170: August 08, 2022, 09:19:35 AM »
Does anyone think he would be grabbed as a rule 5 if he was dropped from the 40 man? At what point would he be a Milfa?
Probably not. But as Slate pointed out, it isn't like we'll have a problem making space.

Offline imref

« Reply #171: August 08, 2022, 09:32:45 AM »
continuing to stay hot: 2-3, 3R, 2RBIs, HR, 2B, 2BBs, SB yesterday.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #172: August 08, 2022, 01:33:47 PM »

He wouldn't be picked in the major league phase if dropped from the 40, but unless he was on the 40 or AAA roster he'd almost certainly be picked in the minor league phase.  There's still lottery-ticket talent there, and that's better than the typical org-guy MiLFA fare.  (And yes, I wish to call them MiLF Agents.)

Minor league free agency is after six full seasons.  But you don't become a MiLFA if you're on the 40: the 40 is the full major league roster, and from there some guys get optioned to play for a minor league team.

Offline imref

« Reply #173: August 15, 2022, 11:10:13 PM »
Joining Hassell in Harrisburg. The kids are getting closer…..

.306   .438   .611 in August, 12 games, 3HRs, 3SBs

Offline Slateman

« Reply #174: August 16, 2022, 08:21:53 PM »
Getting promoted to Double A