Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Yasel Antuna, OF  (Read 8035 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Follow the Prospects: Yasel Antuna, OF
« Reply #125: April 18, 2022, 10:22:39 AM »
Good start this season at High-A: .308 / .457 / .803

Now playing LF.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #126: April 18, 2022, 10:28:16 AM »
Good start this season at High-A: .308 / .457 / .803

Now playing LF.
But he still needs to learn per some folks here. So patience.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #127: April 18, 2022, 10:29:45 AM »
If Antuna cannot crush at Wilmington, then he's no value.  It's not the hitting that he's there for. It's the fielding.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #128: April 18, 2022, 10:37:31 AM »
But he still needs to learn per some folks here. So patience.
Sorry this was meant to be in the Garcia thread.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #129: April 18, 2022, 12:14:44 PM »
If Antuna cannot crush at Wilmington, then he's no value.  It's not the hitting that he's there for. It's the fielding.

If he's hitting A+, no reason for him to be there.  Learning to play corner OF isn't any different in AA than it is in A+.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #130: April 18, 2022, 12:44:45 PM »
He missed like 2 seasons of development, and only started to hit High A towards the end of last season. It doesnt hurt to let him stay in Single A for half a season. He's only 22.

Man, y'all just want to rush everyone through the minors

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #131: April 18, 2022, 12:51:36 PM »
He missed like 2 seasons of development, and only started to hit High A towards the end of last season. It doesnt hurt to let him stay in Single A for half a season. He's only 22.

Man, y'all just want to rush everyone through the minors

I'm not big on rushing dudes.  Antuna's issue is that he's already burning his second option year this year.  He might be the only 40-man player still in A ball in the entire league, and it's his second year eating options.  This is the rare situation where it's probably prudent to push a dude. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #132: April 18, 2022, 01:18:11 PM »
Provided he’s not terrible, he’ll probably finish the year in AA

Offline Slateman

« Reply #133: April 18, 2022, 04:34:34 PM »
I'm not big on rushing dudes.  Antuna's issue is that he's already burning his second option year this year.  He might be the only 40-man player still in A ball in the entire league, and it's his second year eating options.  This is the rare situation where it's probably prudent to push a dude. 
Honestly, who cares? Is there someone else that needs that roster spot? If he's magically in Double A next week does that make it suddenly worth a 40 man roster spot? Hes there because he lost two years, one to injury and another to the pandemic.

Honestly, he isnt even slugging .400. I dont think he's ready for Double A. He can stay down there all season. He isnt blocking anyone and we have nothing to lose.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #134: April 18, 2022, 04:44:55 PM »
Honestly, who cares? Is there someone else that needs that roster spot? If he's magically in Double A next week does that make it suddenly worth a 40 man roster spot? Hes there because he lost two years, one to injury and another to the pandemic.

Honestly, he isnt even slugging .400. I dont think he's ready for Double A. He can stay down there all season. He isnt blocking anyone and we have nothing to lose.

The problem isn't this year.  It's that next year is his final option year.  If you don't give him a shot to get to MLB by the end of '23, he'll go into Spring Training in 2024 having to be kept on the MLB roster or go through waivers.  Best way to get him there is to get him to AA pretty soon so he can get decent time there and AAA.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #135: April 18, 2022, 06:13:36 PM »
The problem isn't this year.  It's that next year is his final option year.  If you don't give him a shot to get to MLB by the end of '23, he'll go into Spring Training in 2024 having to be kept on the MLB roster or go through waivers.  Best way to get him there is to get him to AA pretty soon so he can get decent time there and AAA.
Then it sounds like he has two more seasons. Still not sure what the big deal is.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #136: April 18, 2022, 09:12:16 PM »

This is where I'm at. It isn't like there's a player I wish was on the 40 man in his place.

I think the original sin was panicking and adding Antuna to the 40 man. Was he really at risk of being stolen in the Rule 5 draft? I get protecting Adon. Some bad team could have use him as a swing arm between the rotation and pen. But I don't think anyone could have held Antuna on the active roster all season.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #137: April 18, 2022, 09:20:23 PM »
This is where I'm at. It isn't like there's a player I wish was on the 40 man in his place.

I think the original sin was panicking and adding Antuna to the 40 man. Was he really at risk of being stolen in the Rule 5 draft? I get protecting Adon. Some bad team could have use him as a swing arm between the rotation and pen. But I don't think anyone could have held Antuna on the active roster all season.

He woulda been gone quick as crap. 21st ranked international prospect. Cost the Nats 3.9 million. Was the Nationals number 10 prospect when he was added.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #138: April 19, 2022, 07:08:22 AM »

Antuna might not have been picked in the major league phase, but he'd have been a dead certainty to go in the minor league phase. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #139: April 19, 2022, 12:32:24 PM »
Antuna might not have been picked in the major league phase, but he'd have been a dead certainty to go in the minor league phase.
I guess I never really understood the minor league rule five. Have they gotten rid of that with the new CBA?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #140: April 19, 2022, 01:11:59 PM »
I guess I never really understood the minor league rule five. Have they gotten rid of that with the new CBA?

Not that I'm aware.  Minor League Rule 5 eligibility is the same as MLB except that anyone in AAA is also protected (even if not on the 40-man), which covers most of the fringe types even if not protected from the major league portion.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #141: April 19, 2022, 01:26:35 PM »
Not that I'm aware.  Minor League Rule 5 eligibility is the same as MLB except that anyone in AAA is also protected (even if not on the 40-man), which covers most of the fringe types even if not protected from the major league portion.
Thanks.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #142: May 11, 2022, 10:53:17 AM »
Down to .218 with no power, although a pile of walks.  .706 OPS.  Not so good for a corner OF in high-A.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #143: June 08, 2022, 01:46:21 PM »
Had a slash .213/.368/.413 line in May and is hot so far in June. 2 for 3 with a homer last night. Year line up to .241/.393/.405. He also has 13 steals after having only 4 all of last season.

Still some concerns. But this is his best season so far and 22 isn't old for A+.

Any positive sign is good news for this young guy.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #144: June 08, 2022, 02:12:54 PM »
Had a slash .213/.368/.413 line in May and is hot so far in June. 2 for 3 with a homer last night. Year line up to .241/.393/.405. He also has 13 steals after having only 4 all of last season.

Still some concerns. But this is his best season so far and 22 isn't old for A+.

Any positive sign is good news for this young guy.

I’m wondering what’s up with the walk rate.  It freaking skyrocketed.  Wonder if the low average is due to a change in approach where he’s a lot more patient. 

If he tops out in the majors as a .250/.340/.400 guy who switch hits then he’s a piece

Online Section214

« Reply #145: June 22, 2022, 11:25:52 AM »
3-4 last night, HR back on June 18. .248/.379/.398 7 HR 8 2B 18 SB. Striking out too much, 55ks in 206 AB, but taking walks, 45.

Strictly playing LF at this point.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146: June 22, 2022, 01:22:27 PM »
3-4 last night, HR back on June 18. .248/.379/.398 7 HR 8 2B 18 SB. Striking out too much, 55ks in 206 AB, but taking walks, 45.

weird pattern

April    May   June
ISO     .180    .200   .160
AVG     .226   .213    .304
OBP     .410   .368    .359
K/BB    19/20 23/18 13/7

It's like, "I thought you wanted me to get on and show pop when I do swing?  You mean you want me to swing at everything and stop trying to drive the ball?  I can do that, too."

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #147: June 22, 2022, 06:22:37 PM »

If he hadn't signed for a bajillion dollars, there's nothing about him that suggests he's a prospect.  A .777 OPS in LF in high-A at 22 is a "eh, move him up to AA next year, see what happens" profile and nothing more.

I seriously wonder how many people on here have ever seen him play, and of those who have (I'm one), who has ever seen an inkling of a major league player there.  He's just Not. Good. Enough. At. Baseball.

Online Section214

« Reply #148: June 22, 2022, 11:44:34 PM »
If he hadn't signed for a bajillion dollars, there's nothing about him that suggests he's a prospect.  A .777 OPS in LF in high-A at 22 is a "eh, move him up to AA next year, see what happens" profile and nothing more.

I seriously wonder how many people on here have ever seen him play, and of those who have (I'm one), who has ever seen an inkling of a major league player there.  He's just Not. Good. Enough. At. Baseball.

Man, I am active on a few boards for my teams and none are as toxic as this one. I never said anything glowing, just giving an update. He's showing some life at the plate and I hope he keeps showing improvement. The most active members on this board are nothing but negative, it's exhausting

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149: June 23, 2022, 08:49:34 AM »
I've seen a lot more toxic exchanges than someone saying a guy is doing well recently, someone else saying his stats look weird, and another person saying the guy is overhyped based on his own observations.  Specifically, go into the WaPo comments on baseball articles or on other papers that still allow comments.  Nothing ad hominem in this thread about any member who posted or the player.  I don't necessarily disagree that negativity can be a turn off, but this just strikes me as a string of baseball observations, which is what folks come here for