Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Matt Cronin, LHP  (Read 2634 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Matt Cronin, LHP
« Reply #25: August 19, 2021, 12:01:58 PM »
Control issues seem to have revealed themselves in Double A. Seems like a prime candidate to stay where he's at and maybe go to the AFL
there's a cryptic post in the Casey thread that I can't figure out where Cronin is mentioned. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: April 29, 2022, 06:28:27 PM »
Nice start at Harrisburg for our future closer: 5 Games, 6.2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 10Ks, 4BBs, 1.20 WHIP

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #27: May 09, 2022, 04:12:51 PM »
Probably due for Rochester.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28: May 26, 2022, 11:07:36 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/05/26/matt-cronin-harrisburg-nationals-prospect/

Reliever Matt Cronin has pitched on 14 dates for the Class AA Harrisburg Senators this spring. The whole list — April 9, April 14, April 17, April 20, April 24, April 29, May 1, May 5, May 8, May 12, May 15, May 18, May 21 and May 22 — tells a story on its own. Notice the consistent gaps until Cronin went back-to-back for the first time this past weekend? Or how, early on, coaches gave three or four days of rest to a lefty sidelined for parts of 2021 with shoulder issues?

Here’s the careful plan for a pitcher who entered Thursday with a 0.00 ERA in 16⅓ innings.
Once in a while, Cronin has mixed in what pitching coordinator Sam Narron called a split-finger change-up. Otherwise, he has flat-out dominated with high heaters and a sharp breaking ball. His velocity is in the low-to-mid 90s, ticking back to normal. Opposing hitters have a batting average/on-base percentage/slugging percentage slash line of .096/.203/.096. That identical batting and slugging percentage means Cronin has only allowed singles — and only five of them — while striking out 22 and walking seven.

0.00 ERA, 16.1 IP.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #29: May 26, 2022, 01:45:59 PM »

Offline Section214

« Reply #30: May 26, 2022, 02:07:13 PM »
He’ll be up after the deadline when we sell off Cishek, Erasmo, Rainey, etc

We have three more years of control with Rainey. I would like to see him be a staple back there. Sell everything else that isn't nailed down

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31: May 26, 2022, 03:37:13 PM »
We have three more years of control with Rainey. I would like to see him be a staple back there. Sell everything else that isn't nailed down
yes. Same for Finnegan, I think. 

I could see a need for a lefty in the bullpen, so Cronin may be a special case for an earlier call up, but he'd need to be added to the 40 man roster.  That's a disincentive until there's space available due to releases, trades, or 60 day ILs.

Offline Section214

« Reply #32: May 29, 2022, 10:26:31 AM »
Up to AAA. Pitched the 9th in their 8-0 win last night. Should be the last stop before he is in DC, hopefully soon.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: May 29, 2022, 10:38:27 AM »
Up to AAA. Pitched the 9th in their 8-0 win last night. Should be the last stop before he is in DC, hopefully soon.
What’s the rush? Let him get some time in AAA. Season is a lost one anyway.

Offline Section214

« Reply #34: May 30, 2022, 09:55:17 AM »
What’s the rush? Let him get some time in AAA. Season is a lost one anyway.

You could use the same logic for him to come up even sooner. I don't think they need to "rush" him, but I also don't think he needs a ton of time in AAA.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: May 30, 2022, 10:17:17 AM »
Take the Paul Masson approach - we will serve no reliever up before its time.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: May 30, 2022, 10:51:19 AM »
You could use the same logic for him to come up even sooner. I don't think they need to "rush" him, but I also don't think he needs a ton of time in AAA.
I don’t like to rush young pitchers. He will undoubtedly hit a rough patch soon and would rather him do that in the minors. And see if he can overcome it there. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #37: May 30, 2022, 10:54:35 AM »
I don’t like to rush young pitchers. He will undoubtedly hit a rough patch soon and would rather him do that in the minors. And see if he can overcome it there.
He’s only pitched one inning in Rochester.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #38: May 30, 2022, 11:22:01 AM »
Lets see how he adjusts to the new baseball

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #39: May 30, 2022, 11:32:43 AM »
Last year Cronin did great in Wilmington and then struggled mightily in Harrisburg. This year he has conquered Harrisburg so let’s give him a chance to conquer Rochester. They have also been shielding him from back to back appearances. Can’t ask a MLB manager to do that if he comes to DC.

Offline Section214

« Reply #40: June 10, 2022, 11:22:47 AM »
Meeting his match a bit in Rochester. 5 ER in his last two outings, 9.00 ERA over his 5 IP since the call-up. Not surprising that it will take him a little time to adjust.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #41: June 10, 2022, 11:41:31 AM »
It’s a good thing.  Every reliever gets lit up at some point.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #42: August 15, 2022, 10:11:17 AM »
After an awful June he had a fantastic July but has regressed a bit so far in August. Since getting promoted at the end of May: 21.2 IP, 4.98 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 21Ks, 10 BBs.  Still pitching roughly every 3-4 days.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #43: August 15, 2022, 11:16:07 AM »
Lost the last game of Rochester's 19-game losing streak. The Red Wings tied the game in the 8th, and Cronin gave up the winner in the top of the 9th.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: August 15, 2022, 11:25:48 AM »
I think we get 2 adds in September to take the roster up to 28.  I could definitely see Cronin and Alu as being the add ons.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: March 06, 2023, 06:13:17 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/06/matt-cronin-sean-doolittle-nationals-spring-training/

Matt Cronin was a sophomore at Arkansas when he first heard the comparisons — that his fastball looked like Sean Doolittle’s. Both have a rising action that makes hitters swing under the baseball.
I just stay very true behind the baseball. It gets perfect backspin, so I’m not wasting any of that spin. It just helps the ball to stay up. If you really want to read about it, you can go read about the Magnus effect.”

The Magnus effect is the force that is responsible for how much break the ball experiences as it spins. Cronin learned about it in high school. The downward Magnus effect on a curveball with topspin aids gravity and leads to a steep fall. The fastball, on the other hand, has backspin and opposes gravity, allowing the ball to stay in the air longer.
Doolittle, who first met Cronin at the Nationals’ alternate site in 2020, said he can see why people say the two are alike. Doolittle said Cronin has a shorter arm action that allows him to hide the ball behind his body and deceive the hitter.

“I’ve followed him since [2020],” Doolittle said. “And even back then, at least within the [Nationals] organization, they were telling me that there were some similarities there. So I always kept an eye on him. I’m really happy for him that last year he had a really good year. It’s been kind of fun watching him progress and figure out who he is and how to use his strengths and leverage those.”
Says after his curve was ineffective against righties in AAA, he picked upa slider from watching Clippard.  I suppose if he makes it, then the Doo and Clip experiment was worth it in 2022.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: July 08, 2023, 01:15:30 PM »
weird. Rotowire on 5/23 reported that he went on the IL at Rochester, but Rochester's transaction list omits the move and lists him as active.  In any event, he has not pitched since 5/20. threw just 14.1 innings with little control (8.79 BB/9) and a 5.02 ERA.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #47: July 08, 2023, 01:16:28 PM »
Probably recovering from TJS

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: July 08, 2023, 01:24:58 PM »
Probably recovering from TJS
when did he have TJS? I didn't see any news.  Injury was undisclosed back in MAy.

By the way, I guess you can recall him and then place him on the 60 day IL to open up a 40 man slot.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #49: July 08, 2023, 02:31:13 PM »
when did he have TJS? I didn't see any news.  Injury was undisclosed back in MAy.

By the way, I guess you can recall him and then place him on the 60 day IL to open up a 40 man slot.
I was assuming based on this org's history of not updating anyone on minor league injuries. See Cole Henry and his TOS surgery.