Author Topic: The Bench Guys  (Read 765 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

The Bench Guys
« Topic Start: August 25, 2019, 05:38:05 PM »
These vets have brought a lot of leadership, chemistry, and big hits to the club.  Howie has another year as a utility guy who starts fairly regularly in different spots.  I could see trying to bring Adams back and them splitting 1B.  I wouldn't mind bringing Parra and Asdrubel back on cheap deals.  They likely won't find starting opportunities elsewhere and I believe both would welcome a return in similar roles.  Great finds by Rizzo off the scrap heap.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: The Bench Guys
« Reply #1: August 25, 2019, 05:41:02 PM »
too soon

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #2: August 25, 2019, 10:51:10 PM »
Adams has an option for 4 million. I dont see anyone else coming back but if I could pick it would be Parra just because I think he is working wonders with Robles and Soto

Offline GataNats

« Reply #3: August 26, 2019, 12:53:29 AM »
Parra and Howie.  Adams can go hit the Golden Corral.

« Reply #4: August 26, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »
Parra and Howie.  Adams can go hit the Golden Corral.

Why wouldn't you want Adams back?  Very cheap production both years with us.

« Reply #5: August 26, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
Adams has an option for 4 million. I dont see anyone else coming back but if I could pick it would be Parra just because I think he is working wonders with Robles and Soto

Didn't realize Adams had a option.  Mutual, team, or player?

Parra is a solid vet bench bat and glove, but the intangibles do mean something.  This team was tight and his stupid baby shark thing and home run dances loosened them up.  I'd absolutely have him back.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #6: August 26, 2019, 12:07:52 PM »

Parra is a solid vet bench bat and glove, but the intangibles do mean something.  This team was tight and his stupid baby shark thing and home run dances loosened them up.  I'd absolutely have him back.

Or the boost will have run its course and it may be best to move on from him after this season.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: August 26, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »
Didn't realize Adams had a option.  Mutual, team, or player?

Mutual, with a $1MM buyout.

You could probably do worse than a Kendrick / Adams or Zimmerman / Adams platoon at first for around $8 - 10MM.  As for Parra, it probably will not be a money matter.  He signed for $1.75MM this year, so it's not like you need to save $$ and play Stevenson.  Technically, Stevenson is out of options, but I don't think he can reject an assignment if he clears waivers.  Asdrubel may have choices, too. Only guy I'd say no way would be Gomes at $9MM ($1MM buyout).  I'm not sure the platoon is worth $15MM for 2020.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: August 26, 2019, 01:42:59 PM »
Mutual, with a $1MM buyout.

You could probably do worse than a Kendrick / Adams or Zimmerman / Adams platoon at first for around $8 - 10MM.  As for Parra, it probably will not be a money matter.  He signed for $1.75MM this year, so it's not like you need to save $$ and play Stevenson.  Technically, Stevenson is out of options, but I don't think he can reject an assignment if he clears waivers.  Asdrubel may have choices, too. Only guy I'd say no way would be Gomes at $9MM ($1MM buyout).  I'm not sure the platoon is worth $15MM for 2020.

Yasmani Grandal?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: August 26, 2019, 01:51:56 PM »
Yasmani Grandal?

Grandal has a $16MM option.  For a player who is consistently about 20% better than a league average hitter and a good defender, I'd think it should be picked up.

« Reply #10: August 26, 2019, 03:02:14 PM »
I think we buy Gomes out.  Suzuki can't throw anybody out, but he's fine to platoon due to his bat.  I'd like to pair him with a great defensive catcher at the least.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: August 26, 2019, 03:07:11 PM »
I think we buy Gomes out.  Suzuki can't throw anybody out, but he's fine to platoon due to his bat.  I'd like to pair him with a great defensive catcher at the least.
suit up Henry Blanco!

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #12: August 26, 2019, 07:02:59 PM »
I like how Gomes has handled the young pitchers. I give him a chance to turn it around with the bat.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #13: August 26, 2019, 08:56:48 PM »
I like how Gomes has handled the young pitchers. I give him a chance to turn it around with the bat.

If your heart of the order guys produce like they should, then all you need from your catcher is solid defense. The way the top 4 spots have been going lately (and even Cabrera in the 5th spot), the Nats could get by with Minty behind the dish. :stir:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: September 20, 2019, 02:57:00 PM »
Nice article on Howie:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-nationals-secret-weapon/

Brings up numerous stats on just how well he's doing this year compared to his career and MLB.  In particular, they say, if anything, he's been unlucky. Notes how he doesn't chase anymore and hits hard and up in the air.
 Gives a lot of credit to the Nats for managing his workload given his age and recent injury history.   Points out that, while he has hit well as a starter, he's been outstanding off the bench.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #15: September 20, 2019, 03:10:29 PM »
Kevin Long is really, really good at working with veteran hitters IMO. At least veteran hitters who are open to listening and tweaking. Mark Teixeira was way too stubborn to listen to advice or coaching at the end, but guys like Howie, Murph and Curtis Granderson thrived under K-Long despite playing in their late-30s.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #16: September 20, 2019, 03:36:59 PM »
Kevin Long is really, really good at working with veteran hitters IMO. At least veteran hitters who are open to listening and tweaking. Mark Teixeira was way too stubborn to listen to advice or coaching at the end, but guys like Howie, Murph and Curtis Granderson thrived under K-Long despite playing in their late-30s.
Like I said, sign Billy Hamilton and have Kevin Long turn him into a .320 hitter :lol:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #17: September 25, 2019, 11:11:02 AM »
Asdrubal Cabrera has a .907 OPS for us with 35 RBI in 33 games and put together 0.9 bWAR in just 33 games. What a godsend his pickup was.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #18: September 25, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »
Asdrubal Cabrera has a .907 OPS for us with 35 RBI in 33 games and put together 0.9 bWAR in just 33 games. What a godsend his pickup was.

Yep, good thing we didn't bench him on 9/1 and start Kieboom. :poke:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: September 25, 2019, 11:18:02 AM »
There's really no way for Dozier to get back in the line up this past month.  He ends up with the .338 OBP and 19 HRs, which is  close to what we wanted from him when we signed him.  That's skipping this month, more or less.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #20: September 25, 2019, 06:57:36 PM »

He's going to be a hot commodity this winter so he ain't signing a one year deal here to be a sub anymore.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #21: September 25, 2019, 07:31:31 PM »
He's going to be a hot commodity this winter so he ain't signing a one year deal here to be a sub anymore.
He'll be 34 and he hit .254/.337/.430. He's not going to be that hot of a commodity