Author Topic: Can We Please Get a New Crew?  (Read 4330 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Can We Please Get a New Crew?
« Reply #25: August 13, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
Tom Paciorek was the man.

I wish they had kept him and paired him with Proctor

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: August 13, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #27: August 13, 2019, 09:54:42 PM »
I liked Proctor. Darling is as bad today as he was in 2005.
Proctor, Keith Hernandez, and Jim Palmer are my dream crew. 

That Sunday Night crew makes me puke.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #28: August 13, 2019, 10:05:22 PM »
:nts:

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #29: August 14, 2019, 12:51:30 AM »
As much as I love their chemistry and would miss C&D, Give Dave Jaegler the TV job.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #30: August 14, 2019, 06:59:05 AM »
As much as I love their chemistry and would miss C&D, Give Dave Jaegler the TV job.
Give them both the TV job. And the radio job.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #31: August 14, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »
Look, doing 162 baseball games a year is going to get mundane.  It's baseball.  I love baseball, but it's not exactly high octane all the time and they play 162 of them.  They do about 500 hours of play by play each regular season.  I think Bob is fine.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #32: August 14, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »
Darling was learning the ropes here and may have been awful, but the Mets announcers are consistently voted one of the top teams in baseball.  One advantage they have is there's no one named Carey or Buck in the booth.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #33: August 14, 2019, 03:18:51 PM »
If you listen to Darling now and compare him to broadcasts he did here you see that he has not improved. Who votes for this crap anyway?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #34: August 14, 2019, 03:25:35 PM »
If you listen to Darling now and compare him to broadcasts he did here you see that he has not improved. Who votes for this crap anyway?

Elis

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #35: August 14, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »

http://draftamerica.com/ranking-the-mlb-tv-broadcasters-1-31-including-espn/  - Mets #2.

Granted, this was 2011, but #2 here too.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/774015-five-best-tv-broadcast-teams-in-major-league-baseball#slide1

2016 - Fangraphs rankings - Mets #3:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2016-broadcaster-rankings-tv-10-1/

The Guardian had the Mets as #1 in 2017:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/jul/11/best-mlb-broadcast-teams-baseball

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: August 14, 2019, 03:45:18 PM »
http://draftamerica.com/ranking-the-mlb-tv-broadcasters-1-31-including-espn/  - Mets #2.

Granted, this was 2011, but #2 here too.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/774015-five-best-tv-broadcast-teams-in-major-league-baseball#slide1

2016 - Fangraphs rankings - Mets #3:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2016-broadcaster-rankings-tv-10-1/

The Guardian had the Mets as #1 in 2017:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/jul/11/best-mlb-broadcast-teams-baseball

This is all based on reputation. No one is reliably listening to enough different crews to realize which ones are good and which ones aren’t.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #37: August 14, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

On this, we fully agree.  The original sketch before the show was the best. 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #38: August 14, 2019, 04:28:00 PM »
This is all based on reputation. No one is reliably listening to enough different crews to realize which ones are good and which ones aren’t.

I think you've hit it on the head here. Sports journos can get just as lazy as any other journalist on occasion.

Offline Slateman

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #40: August 15, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
Give them both the TV job. And the radio job.

This times 1000.  You have one fantastic pairing and one utterly crap one doing parallel broadcasts of the same game.  The solution is not difficult.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #41: August 15, 2019, 10:55:53 AM »
At least we don't have the formalin-preserved corpses they have to suffer through on the other MASN channel.
I hate the O's but ... Jon Miller, and now Gary Thorne, the Nats haven't even come close to that level of excellent play by play.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #42: August 15, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
And how about those shirts. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #43: August 15, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
Those shirts are right out of a 1976 Sears catalogue  :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #44: August 15, 2019, 03:48:40 PM »
And how about those shirts. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

(Image removed from quote.)

I thought they looked like hockey gear and VaRK mentioned Star Trek.    :lol:

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #45: August 15, 2019, 04:06:48 PM »
really? this thread, the fluff article referenced and especially it's title.... really?
      last spring my wife gifted me MLB Extra Innings and i have been able to see and hear most of the MLB on-air teams.
we should consider ourselves fortunate to have Bob & FP as our tv team. IMO Bob Carpenter & F P Santangelo should be
ranked at the top of this lazy, fluff journalism that claims itself "a survey".
      both Bob & FP have a wealth of baseball knowledge, are intelligent and insightful - how many times has FP told you what was about
to happen just before what he said actually happened? the man is a baseball savant! they are immensely entertaining as well.
       as for Dave Jagelar, who so many posters are clamoring for - well i have only been exposed to him when he fills in on MASN but
it seems to me he has the personality of a tomato - almost humorless and i have yet to see any indication that he can build any sort of
mutual repartee with his broadcast partner. BOB & FP FOREVER!
      ok, soap box dismounted, blindfold on , back against the wall, cigarette dangling from lips - gentlemen, you may present arms when ready

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #46: August 15, 2019, 04:11:17 PM »
Yeah, I'm not wild about Bob & FP; they certainly have some cringe-worthy moments. But I don't despise them.

Can't help but wonder if this isn't the result of Nats fans all growing up with some other team and thus broadcasters. I grew up with Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn, and yeah, of course I think those guys were orders of magnitude better than Bob & FP. Not really a fair comparison, though.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #47: August 15, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
really? this thread, the fluff article referenced and especially it's title.... really?
      last spring my wife gifted me MLB Extra Innings and i have been able to see and hear most of the MLB on-air teams.
we should consider ourselves fortunate to have Bob & FP as our tv team. IMO Bob Carpenter & F P Santangelo should be
ranked at the top of this lazy, fluff journalism that claims itself "a survey".
      both Bob & FP have a wealth of baseball knowledge, are intelligent and insightful - how many times has FP told you what was about
to happen just before what he said actually happened? the man is a baseball savant! they are immensely entertaining as well.
       as for Dave Jagelar, who so many posters are clamoring for - well i have only been exposed to him when he fills in on MASN but
it seems to me he has the personality of a tomato - almost humorless and i have yet to see any indication that he can build any sort of
mutual repartee with his broadcast partner. BOB & FP FOREVER!
      ok, soap box dismounted, blindfold on , back against the wall, cigarette dangling from lips - gentlemen, you may present arms when ready

Hi Bob.  You're a crap broadcaster, and please freak off back to St. Louis. 

Love, the large number of people who correctly and honestly answered the survey.

(Kidding, but re Jageler, he has great chemistry with Slowes.  Not having chemistry with FP is hardly a personality defect; many people are not fans of dudebros whose MLB careers saved them from appearing on Jersey Shore.)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #48: August 15, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »
Hi Bob.  You're a crap broadcaster, and please freak off back to St. Louis. 

Love, the large number of people who correctly and honestly answered the survey.

(Kidding, but re Jageler, he has great chemistry with Slowes.  Not having chemistry with FP is hardly a personality defect; many people are not fans of dudebros whose PED use MLB careers saved them from appearing on Jersey Shore.)

FIFY

Offline rileyn

« Reply #49: August 15, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »
Rough crowd here.