Author Topic: Little League World Series  (Read 1094 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Little League World Series
« Reply #25: August 18, 2019, 11:39:04 AM »
Huh?

Hey VaRK !     Where you been?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #26: August 18, 2019, 11:39:11 AM »
He's got a few more years to play.    :)

Which puts him in line for FP’s eventual retirement from MASN.  :lol:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #27: August 18, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »

Lookin' for my keys...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #28: August 18, 2019, 11:40:16 AM »

He’s been busy this morning.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #29: August 18, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »
He’s been busy this morning.

Tendin' to the shrine in the back yard.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #30: August 18, 2019, 11:43:34 AM »
Tendin' to the shrine in the back yard.

I figured maybe polishing up his fleet of white vehicles. :mg:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #31: August 20, 2019, 06:26:01 AM »
Two no hitters thus far. Impressive.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #32: August 20, 2019, 11:19:00 AM »
Two no hitters thus far. Impressive.

The media thinks it's the girl playing.     :couch:    Last evening CBS showed her fielding, pitching against LS and a short interview.   They didn't even mention Loudoun South.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #33: August 21, 2019, 01:39:20 PM »
Loudoun South and Hawaii at 7:30 on ESPN.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #34: August 22, 2019, 07:05:03 AM »
Loudoun South lost 12-9 so they move to the "one loss" bracket.    If they win, they're in.    If they lose, they'll be back in school tomorrow.

7 p.m. U.S. semifinal: River Ridge (La.) vs. South Riding (Va.) » ESPN

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: August 22, 2019, 09:04:13 AM »
Loudoun South lost 12-9 so they move to the "one loss" bracket.    If they win, they're in.    If they lose, they'll be back in school tomorrow.

7 p.m. U.S. semifinal: River Ridge (La.) vs. South Riding (Va.) » ESPN
School in August in VA?  They will be working the fields.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #36: August 22, 2019, 11:00:51 AM »
School in August in VA?  They will be working the fields.

School starts in Loudoun today.    Guess they gotta build in snow days and a two week spring break.     :)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #37: August 22, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »
School starts in Loudoun today.    Guess they gotta build in snow days and a two week spring break.     :)

Prince William starts on Monday, I think Fairfax too.  I assume Loudoun South is a travel team pulling in players from the region?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #38: August 22, 2019, 11:12:39 AM »
IT's all the snow days. The counties panicked after the last monster blizzard we had and put in a bunch of extra snow days. Then they had to justify them so they started canceling school for every little bullcrap reason.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: August 22, 2019, 11:18:02 AM »
Prince William starts on Monday, I think Fairfax too.  I assume Loudoun South is a travel team pulling in players from the region?

I think they're the AS team from South Riding.    I expect them to have excuses in hand for missing classes.   Gotta prepare 'em for college athletics.    :mg:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #40: August 22, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
IT's all the snow days. The counties panicked after the last monster blizzard we had and put in a bunch of extra snow days. Then they had to justify them so they started canceling school for every little bullcrap reason.

The problem with Loudoun is the eastern part of the county can have totally different weather from the western (upper elevation) part.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #41: August 22, 2019, 11:41:24 AM »
The problem with Loudoun is the eastern part of the county can have totally different weather from the western (upper elevation) part.
No, the problem is that its' filled with stay at home moms who have nothing better to do but autistically screech about it being too cold for their precious little snowflake to stand outside for ten minutes while waiting for a bus

Offline mitlen

« Reply #42: August 22, 2019, 01:35:37 PM »
No, the problem is that its' filled with stay at home moms who have nothing better to do but autistically screech about it being too cold for their precious little snowflake to stand outside for ten minutes while waiting for a bus

Today's the first day of school so all the parents are at the stop makin' sure their kids get off OK.   I got behind a bus that stopped at a rather large contingent on Algonkian Parkway.     The kiddies all got on and as the bus pulled off, the 25 or more parents on the corner all waved.    As I rode by, I waved at them.     Several cracked up.    The moms with tears probably put a special curse on me.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #43: August 22, 2019, 02:05:31 PM »

Go to Lovettsville, VA and drive some of those roads. You don't really need to get that far past Leesburg to hit areas where a bus can't reliably travel when it's snowy or icy. Instead of spending a bunch of money to improve roads and snow clearing in the rural parts of Loudoun, they just start a couple days earlier and run a few minutes longer. As a result, they have 14 snow days baked in to their schedule. Much easier to say 'screw it, snow day,' than it is for Fairfax or DC with their two snow days available.

Also worth noting that Loudoun is in general has a much higher median income than DC. Calling a snow day doesn't mean no breakfast or lunch that day for 60% of its student population like it does in DC.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #44: August 22, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »
Go to Lovettsville, VA and drive some of those roads. You don't really need to get that far past Leesburg to hit areas where a bus can't reliably travel when it's snowy or icy. Instead of spending a bunch of money to improve roads and snow clearing in the rural parts of Loudoun, they just start a couple days earlier and run a few minutes longer. As a result, they have 14 snow days baked in to their schedule. Much easier to say 'screw it, snow day,' than it is for Fairfax or DC with their two snow days available.

Also worth noting that Loudoun is in general has a much higher median income than DC. Calling a snow day doesn't mean no breakfast or lunch that day for 60% of its student population like it does in DC.

There are some schools in E. Loudoun with 60%+  students on the free/reduced school lunch program.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #45: August 22, 2019, 02:38:44 PM »
There are some schools in E. Loudoun with 60%+  students on the free/reduced school lunch program.

Really? That's pretty surprising to me because Loudoun has one of the highest median incomes per capita in the country. Must be some really rich folks raising up the numbers for folks who aren't so fortunate.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #46: August 22, 2019, 03:13:36 PM »
Really? That's pretty surprising to me because Loudoun has one of the highest median incomes per capita in the country. Must be some really rich folks raising up the numbers for folks who aren't so fortunate.

IIRC Park View HS is 60.4% free/reduced lunch program.

EDIT:   Did some googlin':

Sterling Middle School  64%
Sully Elementary    87%
Rolling Ridge Elementary  73%

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: August 23, 2019, 09:23:16 AM »
Well they had a good run.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #48: August 23, 2019, 11:11:42 AM »