Author Topic: Windmill them in: The Fire Bob Sendley Thread  (Read 5598 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Windmill them in: The Fire Bob Sendley Thread
« Reply #50: August 13, 2019, 02:02:21 PM »
not sure anything could be worse than when he sent Werth in a playoff game.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51: August 13, 2019, 02:25:42 PM »
On sunday he sent soto around 3rd in the first inning and the only reason he was safe was because ramos dropped the ball. guy is a clown and has horrible judgment. he's gotten real lucky on a number of sends recently and has, at this point, had a major negative effect on a number of games in a crucial stretch. of course he's right more than he's wrong and we don't notice that but when this guy has made boneheaded calls in crucial games routinely i have little to no faith in him as a 3B coach in a playoff game.

when we lose by 1 in the wild card game and SENDLEY sends adams and he gets thrown out, we should focus on the times he was right!

But isn't this why you err on the side of sending a guy? That sore of thing happens all the time. Throw up the line, Catcher fumbles ball. Outfielder doesn't make a clean exchange, etc, etc. Runs are incredibly valuable. And for even the best players hits are rare.

Getting guys thrown out occasionally means you're probably not being aggressive enough. If you never have a guy thrown out you are almost certainly leaving runs on the table.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #52: August 13, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
We're paying the guy six figures to be able to draw upon his experience (decades) to make the correct call in crucial situations. His leash should be super short and if our guys get crappy breaks that should factor into his decision-making. I mean, he sent a gimpy Howie and a gimpy Adams home despite (hopefully) knowing they can't run well at all. It's not like he's sending Turner consistently and getting a burner out. He's sending slow runners. Get him out of here if he can't make correct, important decisions in tough spots.

He's human and he'll make mistakes but his track record is horrendous and like imref said, never forget when he sent Werth in 2016. Howie and Adams are just the latest.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #53: August 13, 2019, 02:42:39 PM »
But isn't this why you err on the side of sending a guy? That sore of thing happens all the time. Throw up the line, Catcher fumbles ball. Outfielder doesn't make a clean exchange, etc, etc.

If you are hoping for the other team to make a mistake at the MLB level, you are really desperate and playing with fire. I would not send a player unless I thought he could beat the throw. You can't count on the other team crapting the bed.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #54: August 13, 2019, 02:46:43 PM »
But isn't this why you err on the side of sending a guy? That sore of thing happens all the time. Throw up the line, Catcher fumbles ball. Outfielder doesn't make a clean exchange, etc, etc. Runs are incredibly valuable. And for even the best players hits are rare.

Getting guys thrown out occasionally means you're probably not being aggressive enough. If you never have a guy thrown out you are almost certainly leaving runs on the table.

You can't send a guy with only the hope that the other team will have a brainfart, which seems to be Henley's M.O. I have 0 faith in his ability to judge baserunners in a crucial game. And the thing is, I agree that he should be aggressive. But be aggressive with guys like Turner, Eaton, Robles - not Howie Kendrick or Jayson Werth.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #55: August 13, 2019, 02:55:18 PM »
You can't send a guy with only the hope that the other team will have a brainfart, which seems to be Henley's M.O. I have 0 faith in his ability to judge baserunners in a crucial game. And the thing is, I agree that he should be aggressive. But be aggressive with guys like Turner, Eaton, Robles - not Howie Kendrick or Jayson Werth.

I think you make a good point about who he sends. He sent a slow ass Adams hobbling on one foot after being hit while hitting. He sent Eaton last year after he was coming off an injury. He sent Kendrick and we know how that turned out. Send fast, athletic guys who will pressure the opposition, not slow and injured guys and get them hurt again.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56: August 13, 2019, 03:06:31 PM »
If you are hoping for the other team to make a mistake at the MLB level, you are really desperate and playing with fire. I would not send a player unless I thought he could beat the throw. You can't count on the other team crapting the bed.

I’m not saying you count on it, but it definitely should be taken into account because these things happen a not insignificant account of the time. I’ll put it another way: If the only way that the guy is going to be out is with a clean field and exchange, a perfect throw and a perfect catch, you probably should be sending the guy.
I don’t have a huge problem with the Howie send. I don’t think you can hold a third base coach responsible for a guy getting hurt doing something as routine as rounding 3rd base.  The Adams one was dumb though because the guy had sustained an injury in that game and was limping. 

And if I know that Ramos is a crappy fielder, then why can’t Hendley know it. Maybe that’s why he sent the guy?

Point is, you should be aggressive sending guys except in a very rare set of specific game situations. Most people are not aggressive enough. And human have loss aversion. So they perseverate on the run lost when the guy is thrown out at home and not the one lost when the guy is stranded on third.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #57: August 13, 2019, 03:20:17 PM »
I’m not saying you count on it, but it definitely should be taken into account because these things happen a not insignificant account of the time. I’ll put it another way: If the only way that the guy is going to be out is with a clean field and exchange, a perfect throw and a perfect catch, you probably should be sending the guy.
I don’t have a huge problem with the Howie send. I don’t think you can hold a third base coach responsible for a guy getting hurt doing something as routine as rounding 3rd base.  The Adams one was dumb though because the guy had sustained an injury in that game and was limping. 

And if I know that Ramos is a crappy fielder, then why can’t Hendley know it. Maybe that’s why he sent the guy?

Point is, you should be aggressive sending guys except in a very rare set of specific game situations. Most people are not aggressive enough. And human have loss aversion. So they perseverate on the run lost when the guy is thrown out at home and not the one lost when the guy is stranded on third.

I get the psychology of fans who forget the send play that works or the hold play that leaves runs on the table. But, you don't have to have "perfect" plays to throw a guy out, just good ones. Especially when the runner is out by 10 effin feet like Werth was. Werth didn't even bother to slide.

And no way you should be aggressive with a 35 year old who is coming off Achilles surgery. That's plain insane. Your are pushing him to run all out. He's lucky he didn't tear his Achilles again.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #58: August 14, 2019, 09:08:21 AM »
I think this is where Sendley gets the most grief.  WTF was he running when the run didn't mean that much and conserving the out matters more.
Yes. Those are the ones that could and should get you fired.

There are so many things that factor into how aggressive you are as a 3B coach including where you are in the standings. If we had a 10 game lead in the East right now I sure as heck wouldn’t want my 3B coach risking any injuries to key players with close plays at the plate. However, if you’re a desperate team trying to grab a Wildcard spot you send those runners on 50/50 plays at the plate.

Henley has certainly raised many eyebrows with some brutal sends that’s for sure. That said, Mike Rizzo and the manager should be continually communicating with Henley on the do’s and don’ts of every situation especially with his history.
You certainly don’t want to put Henley on pins and needles but you can’t take the chance he may have overlooked something and even Henley is never too old to learn or be pointed in the right direction. Heck, my guess is Henley would welcome their opinions/direction so he knows they’re all on the same page. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #59: August 17, 2019, 10:44:17 PM »
He held him

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #60: August 18, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »
Had my picture taken with Henley and Robles at the SPH event yesterday. I said "Mr. Sendley, how you doing." He did not particularly acknowledge that (beyond just "Hi, thanks for your support."

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #61: August 18, 2019, 11:28:34 AM »
Had my picture taken with Henley and Robles at the SPH event yesterday. I said "Mr. Sendley, how you doing." He did not particularly acknowledge that (beyond just "Hi, thanks for your support."

You really called him Sendley? :hysterical:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #62: August 18, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »
He held him

Dave should’ve subbed Joe Ross for Suzuki after he got his hit and Sendley could’ve waved him on through with nary a worry in the world.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #63: August 18, 2019, 11:36:32 AM »
Dave should’ve subbed Joe Ross for Suzuki after he got his hit and Sendley could’ve waved him on through with nary a worry in the world.

dave :smh:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #64: August 18, 2019, 11:38:28 AM »

Did you send him?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #65: August 18, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
You really called him Sendley? :hysterical:

I remember reading somewhere several years ago that a young kid told him his nicknamer was Sendley. He was not aware of it at the time.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #66: August 18, 2019, 09:31:20 PM »
And when Ross was thrown out by 25 feet at the plate, who plays catcher?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #67: August 18, 2019, 10:00:43 PM »

Gomes was in the game at that point...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #68: August 18, 2019, 10:26:04 PM »
Gomes was in the game at that point...
The game ends in the 13th when Gomes strikes out, Cabrera doesnt advance to third, and no one scores on Robles sac fly. And you all are in here, nagging about Suzuki getting sub'd out for Joe Ross.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #69: August 19, 2019, 02:20:27 AM »
The game ends in the 13th when Gomes strikes out, Cabrera doesnt advance to third, and no one scores on Robles sac fly. And you all are in here, nagging about Suzuki getting sub'd out for Joe Ross.

I'm not nagging about anything.  You asked a question and I'm simply pointing out something that you were unaware of...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #70: August 19, 2019, 04:34:28 AM »

Gomes

Offline Slateman

« Reply #71: August 19, 2019, 05:50:22 AM »
Gomes

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #72: September 22, 2019, 12:23:52 PM »
He sends Cabrera and gets him thrown out by a mile and maybe gets him injured too.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #73: September 22, 2019, 08:24:27 PM »
He sends Cabrera and gets him thrown out by a mile and maybe gets him injured too.
The funny thing about that was FP was just kissing Henley’s a$$ like an inning before that happened saying, “the fans are too hard on Henley and I feel he does a GREAT JOB”.   :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

After Rizzo and Henley get fired on October 2nd I hope they continue the slaughter by firing FP and Carpenter for continually trying to pull the wool over Nationals Fans eyes.  👀 Tired of listening to FP playing suck a$$ in an attempt to get a contract extension while Carpenter has become another big fake this season. Hard to pretend you care when you don’t really give a poop.

SLAUGHTER!!! SLAUGHTER!!! SLAUGHTER-SLAUGHTER!!!

🔪🐷🔪🐷🔪🐷🔪🐷🔪🐷🔪🐷 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #74: September 22, 2019, 09:52:10 PM »
The funny thing about that was FP was just kissing Henley’s a$$ like an inning before that happened saying, “the fans are too hard on Henley and I feel he does a GREAT JOB”.   :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

After Rizzo and Henley get fired on October 2nd I hope they continue the slaughter by firing FP and Carpenter for continually trying to pull the wool over Nationals Fans eyes.  👀 Tired of listening to FP playing suck a$$ in an attempt to get a contract extension while Carpenter has become another big fake this season. Hard to pretend you care when you don’t really give a poop.

SLAUGHTER!!! SLAUGHTER!!! SLAUGHTER-SLAUGHTER!!!

🔪🐷🔪🐷🔪🐷🔪🐷🔪🐷🔪🐷

FP and Bob are MASN employees. I think Angelos is pretty happy with the quality of the pair.