Author Topic: Nationals vs Dodgers, Game 1  (Read 11674 times)

Offline djbaseball13

Re: Nats vs Dodgers, Game 1
« Reply #475: July 27, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »
Dave M gave away game last night with Rodney,,,,, what will he do tonight?

YES!  Davey and the bullpen are KILLING the Nats!  I hate Davey's excuse "I had to pinch hit for Sanchez".. Oh, really?  What about the other games in which you took him out early?  What about those games vs the AL where you had the DH, and STILL pulled your starter?  And, what about your overworked (and underperforming) bullpen?  As good as Davey is, he deserves to be fired if he keeps one making the same mistakes. Sanchez threw a gem last night, and Davey and the bullpen blew it! Hey Davey, stop making excuses, and own up to your mistakes!

Offline djbaseball13

Re: Nationals vs Dodgers, Game 1
« Reply #476: July 27, 2019, 11:19:01 AM »
Just forfeit whenever Sanchez is done

So, your point is obvious to everyone except the manager. I think the Nats GM needs to have a serious discussion with Davey and tell him that his late inning decisions are hurting the team. The only way these pitching changes are smart is IF you have a solid bullpen. But, when your starter (i.e. Sanchez last night) is mowing down the Dodgers, KEEP HIM IN!

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #477: July 27, 2019, 11:24:06 AM »
I would have bunted Sanchez here and had him go out for another inning. Saved Parra for later.
. I agree.

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #478: July 27, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
And all that work to get that 1 run to tie it up just to.........well, as dave would say, ya know

Actually, he uses the old (statistical based) excuse that tells a manager what to do. (i.e. Oh, it's the 3rd time through the lineup, I better call to the bullpen). or, Sanchez has been great, now lets take him out before the Dodgers start hitting him. 

With this 2019 team, going 7 innings isn't going to win many games. Sanchez threw a 3 hitter with only 89 pitches. And, Davey does this all the time.

Seriously, what other team has such a stark difference between their quality starters and crappy bullpen?

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #479: July 27, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »
Some of his other moves, I could be convinced or at least willing to listen.    This move was plain old fashioned mercury free dumb.

Maybe, but there is still an underlying flaw. Look at (2 starts ago) when Fedde pitched good for 5 (or 6?) innings vs the Orioles. Fedde only had 66 pitches, and he gets the hook,  and, we had the DH that game. Davey just CAN"T leave his starters in to finish a game. Now, I'm not saying that Fedde or Sanchez should always go 9 innings. BUT... when they are pitching GREAT, and still have a low pitch count, then it's dumb to pull them.

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #480: July 27, 2019, 11:49:31 AM »
A lot of Dave's curious moves have all been about having no confidence to go to Guerra, and now no confidence to leave him in.   It's not like Sipp is an amazing loogie, and it's not like Joc Pedersen is that big a threat 2 outs, top of the 8th with no one on.  Why is he so anti Guerra after just 2 bad outing, when we've had a lot of other guys do a lot worse things.

Maybe, but the bigger problem is that he goes to the 'pen' early. Only Scherzer is "allowed" to go 8 innings. These starters are not fragile. And, they get paid millions of $$ to pitch, AND they get 4 days rest after each start. Whats wrong with keeping him in?  Am I missing something?