Author Topic: Wild Card watch  (Read 30893 times)

Offline tenken627

Re: Wild Card watch
« Reply #75: August 08, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »
It used  to be that a tie-breaking game 163 counted as a regular season game.  I know because my roto team had Rodney or Benoit on the Tigers when they had a paly-in game against Gardy's Twins.  I had tied up for first that game, only to have my pitcher intentionally walk a guy in extra innings to blow the WHIP category. Those games would count in regular seasons stats.

I'm not sure the WC game counts statistically for the regular season.

I don't think they count statistically for the regular season, but that's what they are. A glorified game 163. It's all a marketing ploy.

The Wild Card games are officially postseason games.  Whether fans want to acknowledge them as so or not.  Funny how now that the Nats seem headed for a WC game the usual poo poo on everything crowd is preimptuvely calling it a non-playoff game.  Heaven forbid the Nats win a WC game and anybody claim it as a postseason win. 

A win is a win if it punches us a ticket into the real postseason.

But winning the one game wild card is not going to rub off the stink of the narrative that the Nationals are first round chokers.

You know this, I know this, we all know this.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #76: August 08, 2019, 03:12:57 PM »
I think winning a winner-take-all game would be huge.  This franchise needs to show it can eliminate a team head to head.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #77: August 08, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
I don't think they count statistically for the regular season, but that's what they are. A glorified game 163. It's all a marketing ploy.

A win is a win if it punches us a ticket into the real postseason.

But winning the one game wild card is not going to rub off the stink of the narrative that the Nationals are first round chokers.

You know this, I know this, we all know this.

No, it doesn't erase past postseason failures, but the Wild Card games are postseason games.  Period.  That's per MLB.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #78: August 08, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
Look - WS win > LCS win > LDS  win > wild card win > wild card loss > miss playoffs.  Getting further than this team has gotten before will be satisfying.  Short of that, there's going to be folks who say "meh."

Offline tenken627

« Reply #79: August 08, 2019, 04:23:49 PM »
Look - WS win > LCS win > LDS  win > wild card win > wild card loss > miss playoffs.  Getting further than this team has gotten before will be satisfying.  Short of that, there's going to be folks who say "meh."

But as a 4-time NL East division winner, isn't that the equivalent of a 4-time wild card winner?

I am just saying. In that case, the Nats have already been there done that.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #80: August 08, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »
But as a 4-time NL East division winner, isn't that the equivalent of a 4-time wild card winner?

I am just saying. In that case, the Nats have already been there done that.
Yes. A Wild Card win is meaningless.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #81: August 08, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »
Yes. A Wild Card win is meaningless.
The Mets WILL get one WC spot.  That means the following teams are competing for the other spot:
Nats
Diamonbacks
Giants
Cardinals
Phillies
Brewers

We likely will not have to worry about losing the WC game.   

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82: August 09, 2019, 12:31:52 AM »
The Mets WILL get one WC spot.  That means the following teams are competing for the other spot:
Nats
Diamonbacks
Giants
Cardinals
Phillies
Brewers

We likely will not have to worry about losing the WC game.

Lol at the Mets being fait accompli. Have you looked at their schedule? They have ONE series against a sub .500 team between now and the middle of September. Compare that to the ONE series they have had against a team over .500 since the All-Star Break.

This board is crazy sometimes. The Mets?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83: August 09, 2019, 01:42:56 AM »
Strength of remaining schedule of all the contenders. Note the Mets and Phillies have 2 of the 3 hardest schedules. Nats middle of road, but easier than most NL contenders other than Dodgers (doesn’t matter) and Braves (who we have many head to head matchups against).

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-teams-with-toughest-remaining-schedules

Offline Steve Rogers

« Reply #84: August 09, 2019, 09:40:15 AM »
Lol at the Mets being fait accompli. Have you looked at their schedule? They have ONE series against a sub .500 team between now and the middle of September. Compare that to the ONE series they have had against a team over .500 since the All-Star Break.

This board is crazy sometimes. The Mets?

The NY Mets play a BOATLOAD of home games the rest of the way. A BOATLOAD. crazy schedule set up. And they win at home.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #85: August 09, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
The NY Mets play a BOATLOAD of home games the rest of the way. A BOATLOAD. crazy schedule set up. And they win at home.
Whatever. They are on a hot streak.  They will cool down. Doesn’t mean they will be out of the race but to guarantee them a spot now is just silly.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86: August 09, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »

Mets have 4 more home games left than the Nats. And that disparity will be gone after this weekend.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #87: August 09, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »
Mets have 4 more home games left than the Nats. And that disparity will be gone after this weekend.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that the Mets will continue to win at a 90% clip?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88: August 09, 2019, 10:20:26 AM »
If the Mets sweep the Nats and then the Braves, then I’ll be a believer.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #89: August 09, 2019, 10:21:28 AM »
If the Mets sweep the Nats and then the Braves, then I’ll be a believer.
If they win 4 of 6 then I will be.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #90: August 09, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »
Why is it so hard for people to accept that the Mets will continue to win at a 90% clip?

:lol:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91: August 09, 2019, 11:13:51 AM »

Why is there a Mets fan here?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #92: August 09, 2019, 11:26:00 AM »
They don't have to play like this the rest of the season. They're in the race. They have to play well, but not 14 out of 15 well.

And they have the starting pitching to do that. Right now, they have one of the best rotations in the game, particularly if Wheeler stays healthy. The Mets are going to wish they did more at the deadline.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #93: August 09, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
They don't have to play like this the rest of the season. They're in the race. They have to play well, but not 14 out of 15 well.

And they have the starting pitching to do that. Right now, they have one of the best rotations in the game, particularly if Wheeler stays healthy. The Mets are going to wish they did more at the deadline.
As good as their starters are. The 2nd half of their lineup is terrible and their middle relief is just as bad.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95: August 09, 2019, 01:37:13 PM »
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=36837.0;msg=1991129

It wasn't a serious inquiry.

It was more just calling him out as a Mets fan and giving him a hard time and less about challenging his right to post here. Live and let live. He's pleasant enough. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #96: August 09, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
As good as their starters are. The 2nd half of their lineup is terrible and their middle relief is just as bad.
It's really not much worse than the Nats. In fact, you could make an argument that their bullpen is better than the Nationals has been for most of the season. They've also severely underachieved.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #97: August 09, 2019, 01:55:52 PM »
It wasn't a serious inquiry.

It was more just calling him out as a Mets fan and giving him a hard time and less about challenging his right to post here. Live and let live. He's pleasant enough.

True. He doesn't seem like the kind of Mets fan that would go home and murder members of his family after a loss.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #98: August 09, 2019, 02:02:18 PM »
True. He doesn't seem like the kind of Mets fan that would go home and murder members of his family after a loss.
You think he's the kind that would beat you up for having an opposing team's flag at a game?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #99: August 09, 2019, 02:29:26 PM »
You think he's the kind that would beat you up for having an opposing team's flag at a game?

Probing question.

Probably not the kind that would put you in a coma in the parking lot either.