Author Topic: Wild Card watch  (Read 30299 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Wild Card watch
« Reply #100: August 22, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »
I just don't see baseball as "championship or bust" like some other sports like hockey.   The regular season is still meaningful in baseball, and it is exciting watching a team in a wild card race and hanging in the pennant race.  They play 162 games, and I try to watch most of them, and I am really enjoying these August/Sept games that matter in the standings.   

Being in 4th place and selling everyone off doesn't guarantee a championship team in a few years anyway.   I'd say our odds of winning the world Series from the wild card this year than the odds of winning a world series in the next 5 years out of a full rebuild.   If our big 3 pitchers are healthy, and one or two of the Dodgers are having health issues, then I like our chances.   Corbin should match up well against the Dodgers if we use him twice.
I'm glad you can enjoy them, but I find the enjoyment of them less fulfilling as we get further and further away from the 2012 Shutdown Decision. We fired a guy who managed this team to 97 wins  because he didn't get past the NLDS.

I'd rather set this team up for a real chance at significant postseason succes than try and be happy with losing a WC game.