Author Topic: 2019 Trade Deadline Rumors/Trades/Discussion  (Read 15175 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Margot is a functional CF.  They also have Myers, who isn't actually good and probably should be playing first but is blocked there and is owed a lot of money; Reyes, who is decent but also should be playing first; and Naylor, who's a former first round pick and probably will hit enough but also needs to be playing first.  Cordero, when he comes back, should also be playing a corner.   As a practical matter, they have too many guys who occupy outfield positions, not too few.
Losing any of them in two years wont hurt them.

Crowe doesnt even crack their top 10.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Losing any of them in two years wont hurt them.

Crowe doesnt even crack their top 10.

So...why would this trade happen?  Or are we just wondering why anybody thought there was a match there?

Offline Slateman

So...why would this trade happen?  Or are we just wondering why anybody thought there was a match there?
I'm wondering why anyone thought Yates would go for so little.

Offline UMDNats

Fangraphs did a "predict the deadline" post and had us trading Luis Garcia (with others) for Kirby Yates and Will Myers. I'd probably do that. I think he would be fine at 1B for us and if we send salary back (MAT?) As part of it it evens out. It'd be a gamble but I don't see Garcia as a big loss IMO

We definitely need 1B help as Howie can't play every day and Adams can only play against righties.

Offline Slateman

Wil Meyers is hitting .215/.314/.392 and is owed 67 million over the next three years.

I think I'd rather platoon Adams and Kendrick.

For reference: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/predicting-the-2019-trade-deadline/

Offline UMDNats

Yikes, didn't realize he was owed that much. Thought it was lower. Yeah, nevermind, though I think he'd hit better here.

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
36 and 5' 11". He wont last a whole season

Elevator cleats?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Wil Meyers is hitting .215/.314/.392 and is owed 67 million over the next three years.

I think I'd rather platoon Adams and Kendrick.

For reference: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/predicting-the-2019-trade-deadline/

they note we'd only owe Myers $7 million a year for 3 years (after this season), so it's not like we're overpaying for the guy.  Seems like a reasonable trade.  At worst he's a RH bench bat for the next 3 years.

Online Natsinpwc

they note we'd only owe Myers $7 million a year for 3 years (after this season), so it's not like we're overpaying for the guy.  Seems like a reasonable trade.  At worst he's a RH bench bat for the next 3 years.
Not sure how that’s possible. His contract is 20 million per year the next three years.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/wil-myers-11711/

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Not having an extension in place for Rendon complicates moving Garcia.  If we had Rendon locked up, then we are just looking for a 2nd baseman and Kieboom is enough for that.  If Rendon is not locked up and walks, then we have 3 IF places to fill (1st, 2d, and 3d) and only one MLB minimum guy in the wings.  I suppose if we got back a 1st baseman in a Garcia move, then that fills one of the holes, you write in Kieboom for the other, and sign next year's Dozier / Kendrick to fill the 3d hole.

Offline Slateman

I just dont think they're going to give up Yates for salary relief and a utility middle infielder when they have Urias and Xavier Edward's in their system.

Not having an extension in place for Rendon complicates moving Garcia.  If we had Rendon locked up, then we are just looking for a 2nd baseman and Kieboom is enough for that.  If Rendon is not locked up and walks, then we have 3 IF places to fill (1st, 2d, and 3d) and only one MLB minimum guy in the wings.  I suppose if we got back a 1st baseman in a Garcia move, then that fills one of the holes, you write in Kieboom for the other, and sign next year's Dozier / Kendrick to fill the 3d hole.
Eh, not sure finding another middle infielder is that hard and it certainly doesnt trump getting Yates.

Still think we would have been better off signing Iglesias and moving Turner to 2nd base

Offline Slateman

Not sure how that’s possible. His contract is 20 million per year the next three years.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/wil-myers-11711/
Fangraphs suggests San Diego eats 40 million. Again, I just dont see them doing that and adding the best closer in baseball right now for Garcia.

Online Natsinpwc

Fangraphs suggests San Diego eats 40 million. Again, I just dont see them doing that and adding the best closer in baseball right now for Garcia.
Yes. Makes no sense for SD.

Offline Slateman

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rotoworld_BB/status/1154084104750505984
Not that we have the prospects, but Edwin Diaz is available

Keiboom and Denaburg for Thor and Diaz :stir:

Offline Truconfidence

I wonder what it would take to pry Scott Oberg from the Rockies. has 3 years left till FA. but is a good set up guy. I'd trade Crowe for him.

Offline Slateman

Fangraphs did a "predict the deadline" post and had us trading Luis Garcia (with others) for Kirby Yates and Will Myers. I'd probably do that. I think he would be fine at 1B for us and if we send salary back (MAT?) As part of it it evens out. It'd be a gamble but I don't see Garcia as a big loss IMO

We definitely need 1B help as Howie can't play every day and Adams can only play against righties.
So there was another article on FGs: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-make-some-trades-the-2019-edition/

The Washington Nationals acquire P Kirby Yates from the San Diego Padres for pitchers Wil Crowe, Tim Cate, and Sterling Sharp

Yes, 2019 has been a Dream Land for Kirby Yates, but the Padres have been slowly and gradually falling out of the playoff picture. San Diego is awash in young arms, but the gauntlet that pitching prospects have to go through on the way to becoming major league contributors will ensure that not every one makes it. And if everybody does, how would that be a problem? Complaining that you have too much excellent young pitching is like grumbling that your closet full of gold bars is just too dang hard to transport easily.

Washington’s window is rapidly closing, and right now, they need bullpen arms who will be both effective and who the Nationals won’t suddenly lose interest in (see: Felipe Vazquez, Blake Treinen, Austin Adams, Trevor Gott, etc). Yates is an excellent reliever having an excellent season, but at the end of the day, he’s still a reliever, and there are limits to his value. Gleyber Torres-for-Aroldis Chapman required a very specific set of circumstances to happen, circumstances I don’t think are present in 2019.
Perhaps I'm underestimating the trade market, but the comments lead me to believe otherwise. Yates is controllable this season and next. Which means you're getting a season and a half for probably around 5 million. Neither Crowe nor Garcia are going to headline a package like that. Particularly for a team that is stocked at middle infield and back of the rotation depth.

Offline Section214

I wonder what it would take to pry Scott Oberg from the Rockies. has 3 years left till FA. but is a good set up guy. I'd trade Crowe for him.

After we give them their second 4 game sweep in 2 weeks, they will probably be more willing to sell.. Oberg would be a terrific get and is the perfect type of guy to get at the deadline. No inflated value because of saves and he has team control for 3 years. Think he would cost more than just Crowe though.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Well, I think the FG perception is that a mid-rotation starter prospect (#3-#4) like Crow can bring back a quality set up guy. By their rankings, I think Crow is a 45.  Garcia is thought to be an average or better major league ballplayer, and that is thought to be worth more.  Putting a Garcia and a Crow in a package for Yates, Dyson, Giles, and others of that quality should get you the pitcher plus  something, at least according to their view.

For Crow, I think a #4 is his floor, not his ceiling. 

Offline Slateman

Still wondering if a first baseman needs to be acquired.

Matt Adams .244/.286/.518 line isn't real inspiring and Kendrick may be coming back to earth a bit.

I wonder if Keiboom, Denaburg, Crowe (or Cate), and Antuna  would be enough to get Whit Merrifield and Scott Barlow.

Offline Slateman

After we give them their second 4 game sweep in 2 weeks, they will probably be more willing to sell.. Oberg would be a terrific get and is the perfect type of guy to get at the deadline. No inflated value because of saves and he has team control for 3 years. Think he would cost more than just Crowe though.
Would them throwing in Jake McGee make it cost less or more? I like McGee's away splits. If he can put together a couple good appearances before the deadline, I'd like that deal, particularly since it would mean getting rid of Grace.

Offline Monarch

Matt Adams .244/.286/.518 line isn't real inspiring and Kendrick may be coming back to earth a bit.

I wonder if Keiboom, Denaburg, Crowe (or Cate), and Antuna  would be enough to get Whit Merrifield and Scott Barlow.

Its a waste to get a 1B because RZ slots right back in as soon as he can. The organization will only allow him to start full time or be on the IL.

Merrifield would be a good get though.

Offline Slateman

Its a waste to get a 1B because RZ slots right back in as soon as he can. The organization will only allow him to start full time or be on the IL.

Merrifield would be a good get though.
It took Zim 2 months to get over plantar fascitis. That puts us at the end of September. Which means he won't have enough time to get ramped up and they'll bench him. I believe there is precedent for this when Zim had his hamstring injury.

Offline Monarch

It took Zim 2 months to get over plantar fascitis. That puts us at the end of September. Which means he won't have enough time to get ramped up and they'll bench him. I believe there is precedent for this when Zim had his hamstring injury.

I hope you're right about that. I like the dude, but I hope he seriously considers retirement after this season.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

That's among the least of our worries...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
That's among the least of our worries...

Slate was just talking about blowing up the team a day or two ago