Author Topic: 2019 Trade Deadline Rumors/Trades/Discussion  (Read 15157 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
2019 Trade Deadline Rumors/Trades/Discussion
« Topic Start: July 17, 2019, 08:36:43 AM »
It's after the ASB, so I guess it's reasonable to talk about this?

Pretty obvious the Nationals need pen help. But the biggest question is will the Lerners let Rizzo go over the luxury tax again?

Offline tenken627

Pretty obvious the Nationals need pen help. But the biggest question is will the Lerners let Rizzo go over the luxury tax again?

One negative about Kenley Jansen blowing the save to Harper last night is that the Dodgers are said to be now pursuing Jake Diekman on Kansas City with the Nats.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/dodgers-interested-in-jake-diekman.html

Like Bailey and Maldonado, Diekman isn’t someone who figures to bring back a large return in a trade. Although Diekman boasts 96 mph heat, he has only managed a 4.97 ERA in 38 innings this year, thanks in part to an unpalatable walk rate (5.45 BB/9). That’s not to say Diekman hasn’t been serviceable for Kansas City, though. On the contrary, Diekman has struck out just over 13 hitters per nine and posted a career-high swinging-strike rate (16.4). He has also logged a 3.71 FIP, induced grounders at a 46.5 percent clip and generated infield pop-ups at a 20.0 percent rate. Diekman has been useful against lefty hitters (.289 weighted on-base average) and righties (.313 wOBA) in the process.

And he's owed less than $1 million dollars for this year.

Offline tenken627

And.. MasnBlow's beat reporter writes Nats interested in Mychal Givens FWIW

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/07/whos-the-next-orioles-player-to-be-traded.html

The Nationals had a scout at Camden Yards over the weekend and they also like Givens for a bullpen that’s in constant repair, but there are the obvious challenges in getting the two sides to work out a deal. That’s a hard one to consummate.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Cot's currently has the Nats about $6MM below the luxury tax threshold.  there's room under the cap for Will Smith or Sam Dyson.  It'd be tight for Ken Giles, but I think dropping an MLB minimum guy would let us squeeze him in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-t4BlpC_npBSj6KFivtDkuqtmEu5Vlk2yPvMZD_UkuQ/pubhtml

Offline Slateman

One negative about Kenley Jansen blowing the save to Harper last night is that the Dodgers are said to be now pursuing Jake Diekman on Kansas City with the Nats.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/dodgers-interested-in-jake-diekman.html

And he's owed less than $1 million dollars for this year.

Dodgers were always going to get pen help.

Cot's currently has the Nats about $6MM below the luxury tax threshold.  there's room under the cap for Will Smith or Sam Dyson.  It'd be tight for Ken Giles, but I think dropping an MLB minimum guy would let us squeeze him in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-t4BlpC_npBSj6KFivtDkuqtmEu5Vlk2yPvMZD_UkuQ/pubhtml
Except Will Smith is considered elite and I don't think the Nats have the prospects. And Giles is a freaking nutjob, so hard pass on him. Not unless he comes with Stroman and the plan is to deal Giles.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
seems like everyone is pursuing Diekman, we've been linked to him as well.  Smith is a short-term rental (FA at the end of the year) so he wouldn't cost us a massive amount.

Offline Slateman

seems like everyone is pursuing Diekman, we've been linked to him as well.  Smith is a short-term rental (FA at the end of the year) so he wouldn't cost us a massive amount.
Disagree.

There's only one deadline this year. And there are 11 teams that are in the hunt for the WC. Most of them need bullpen help. Even the teams ahead in their division will want it.

Going to be a year when the cost of relievers is steep.

Offline Scrapple

The penalty for the Nationals going over the luxury tax threshold two years in a row was 2.4 million. What would it be for three years in a row? Anybody know?

Offline Slateman

The penalty for the Nationals going over the luxury tax threshold two years in a row was 2.4 million. What would it be for three years in a row? Anybody know?
50%

Offline dracnal

50%

But just on the portion that's over the cap, I think? I mean, Lerners aren't likely to throw away money, but it's not the full 190M$+, right?

Offline Slateman

But just on the portion that's over the cap, I think? I mean, Lerners aren't likely to throw away money, but it's not the full 190M$+, right?

Yes.

The Lerners fired a dude because he miscalculated and put them over the cap

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Our financial reality is what it is. Nationals should stay under luxury tax this year if it helps the long term of keeping Rendon and maybe eventually Juan Soto and Trea Turner.

I like our position players right now. First base is a problem, but that isn't going to get fixed the middle of this season.

Our top 4 starters have really good, but I wouldn't mind if the Nats took a flyer on a potential #5 starter. Just don't think the salary room or resources are there.

For the bullpen, it's been better as of late. Doolittle has the 9th locked down and Rodney in a small sample size has made me feel better about the middle innings. I think the Nationals will be fine in their attempts to find a decent middle inning arm or two. Isn't like they're trying to find a closer.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Our financial reality is what it is. Nationals should stay under luxury tax this year if it helps the long term of keeping Rendon and maybe eventually Juan Soto and Trea Turner.

I like our position players right now. First base is a problem, but that isn't going to get fixed the middle of this season.

Our top 4 starters have really good, but I wouldn't mind if the Nats took a flyer on a potential #5 starter. Just don't think the salary room or resources are there.

For the bullpen, it's been better as of late. Doolittle has the 9th locked down and Rodney in a small sample size has made me feel better about the middle innings. I think the Nationals will be fine in their attempts to find a decent middle inning arm or two. Isn't like they're trying to find a closer.

This. Find some middle innings relievers that are better than Grace, Rainey, Sipp, etc., and roll.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline UMDNats

1. Trade for Caleb Smith. Jeets is a terrible negotiator so let's just give up Yasel Antuna and Seth Romero. They get a solid infield prospect and a lottery ticket. Throw in someone like Gage Canning if you have to. Thanks Jeets.

2. Make Voth a middle-relief option as Smith solidifies the rotation. He basically replaces Grace on the roster or Rainey. Caleb Smith makes $550k so we're good luxury-tax wise and he gives us a cheap option for next year.

3. Call up the Blue Jays and ask for Tim Mayza (.614 opposing OPS vs. lefties this year). He's a team-control reliever, so Toronto doesn't want to part with him for nothing, but he doesn't have a long track record. They ask for Telmito Agustin, our #10 prospect. Fine, take him. We don't need outfielders. Mayza makes the minimum.

4. Call up the Tigers and ask for Buck Farmer. They're terrible and he's a middle reliever who is arb-eligible next year. We give them James Bourque and Raudy Read, two likely big-leaguers. You're welcome.

5. Smith makes our rotation even better and offers a bullpen option for the postseason, especially as a lefty. Grace is gone. Bullpen becomes Voth-Mayza-Rodney-Suero-Guerra-Farmer-Doolittle. Rainey, Barracalough, Sipp, etc. are the reserves.

Give me a call Mike.

Offline Slateman

1. Jeters already said he wasn't going to deal Smith.
2. It's not that simple. Relieving is a whole different beast.
3. Doubt he's available without an overpay. He's under team control for a while.
4. See above.
5. Sure, except Smith/Mayza are going to be expensive.

Offline UMDNats

To grease Jeet's wheels we'll include a highlight package of his 1996 season.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
And that Bronx farewell video with Franky singing 'My Way'.
To grease Jeet's wheels we'll include a highlight package of his 1996 season.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Bonuses?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Bonuses?
you might have to leave some room, too.  I'm just going by what is on that chart.  But, for sake of argument, let's say that you did get Dyson.  You would have to take someone off your roster to get him, so that's a bit more relief.  If you got SF or TOR to take Taylor off our hands, that would be a lot of relief.  So, say, Taylor / Garcia and a pitching prospect might work. 

Offline UMDNats

That's a good point JCA. We need to move Taylor, he is being paid way too much for us to sit in AA. He needs a change of scenery and a rebuilding team might like to throw him in CF for the rest of the year and see what he can do playing every day.

Offline UMDNats

Daniel Hudson is a lock to be a Nat by 7/31.

Offline Monarch

That would be sweet. #ODUalum

Offline slhubic

and ken giles?

Offline Expos

and ken giles?

We need 2 arms. Giles and Hudson would be fantastic.

Jay's need a starter. Maybe Voth and a prospect?