Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Mason Denaburg, RHP  (Read 4998 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Follow the Prospects: Mason Denaburg, RHP
« Reply #25: April 04, 2021, 05:43:58 PM »
I guess you hope he's only 21 and still has plenty of time to recover, but losing a season to TJ and another to shoulder surgery certainly doesn't bode well for him having a career playing baseball.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: April 04, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »
Yep.  Except Purke at least was a college dude.  Overall, people don't seem to acknowledge the injury risk in drafting 18-year-olds who throw in the upper 90s: a lot of those dudes break, but when they're doing it on a college roster, you haven't wasted a first round pick on them.  It also makes the choice harder when Denaburg ages out of the MiLB control years, because he'll still be reasonably young.
He's the type of guy that could be out of the game 5 years then try a comeback like in the movies.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #27: April 04, 2021, 06:48:57 PM »
He's the type of guy that could be out of the game 5 years then try a comeback like in the movies.
Mark Appel is trying a comeback. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #28: April 05, 2021, 11:39:03 AM »
Does Denaburg have more surgeries than professional innings pitched? sick draft pick

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: June 02, 2021, 04:43:38 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/02/mason-denaburg-injury-problems-nationals/

Profile on him and his recovery from TJ after his shoulder surgery.  He's hanging out in West Palm with Aaron Barrett and Jake Irvin, a college draftee from 2018 that also is going through TJ rehab. 

They have swapped stories and advice in West Palm Beach, hanging in the trainer’s room, the weight room or the outfield grass. And Irvin and Barrett have seen a notable change in Denaburg.

“When you come out of high school, you may not know adversity in the same way as college guys,” said Irvin, who pitched three years at Oklahoma, in a recent phone interview. “You have only ever dominated, you’re a first-round pick, you get the big bonus. So when Mason first got hurt, with his shoulder, there was more feeling sorry for himself, more asking, ‘Why me?’ Like maybe he didn’t understand why he had to go through this and others didn’t. But that’s stopped now. He is in a really good head space.”

“No one wants to start their career the way he has,” Barrett explained in a phone interview. “I mean, no one. But he has gone from being antsy, maybe, to understanding that this is a one-day-at-a time thing. I know it sounds cliche. But with my injuries, I have always tried to go Friday to Friday. Then days become weeks, weeks become months, months become years, and you’re back to where you want to be.

“It’s far from easy. I just always tell Mason, ‘You’ll have a chance to tell this story one day, and it’s going to be a great one.’ ”

Offline imref

« Reply #30: April 01, 2022, 11:42:10 AM »
Denaburg had TJ in March of last year, but I haven't seen any updates on him. Anyone hear of anything?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #31: April 01, 2022, 03:41:06 PM »
there was a video of him on twitter throwing a bullpen around the time of the lockout. if he pitches 20 innings in 2022 it's a major W

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #32: April 03, 2022, 09:10:08 PM »
there was a video of him on twitter throwing a bullpen around the time of the lockout. if he pitches 20 innings in 2022 it's a major W

There's a video of someone purporting to be "Mason Denaburg," perhaps.  As of right now, I'm not convinced the dude exists. 

MLB's prospect profile of him right now says "he was back to throwing off a mound this spring and is still eyeing a return to play in the summer."  So, uh, maybe he'll prove his existence by throwing 20 innings.  I'll take the under.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: April 04, 2022, 09:46:35 AM »
There's a video of someone purporting to be "Mason Denaburg," perhaps.  As of right now, I'm not convinced the dude exists. 

MLB's prospect profile of him right now says "he was back to throwing off a mound this spring and is still eyeing a return to play in the summer."  So, uh, maybe he'll prove his existence by throwing 20 innings.  I'll take the under.
Definitely need all references to him to be "Mason Denaburg" until we get proof of life

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #34: April 04, 2022, 12:37:41 PM »

Yeah I'm still convinced Denaburg is actually 3 middle schoolers dressed up in a trench coact pretending to be an adult.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #35: April 04, 2022, 03:12:35 PM »
Yeah I'm still convinced Denaburg is actually 3 middle schoolers dressed up in a trench coact pretending to be an adult.

Then they should get themselves on the mound after the school year ends, because two broken-down right arms is no excuse when you have three of the damn things.

Offline imref

« Reply #36: April 09, 2022, 02:48:33 PM »
Per TalkNats Denaburg is assigned to Wilmington but is on the 7-day IL

Offline imref

« Reply #37: May 26, 2022, 07:44:43 AM »
Guess who finally pitched last night?

It wasn’t pretty:  2+ IP, 4H, 4R, 4ER, 4BB, 1K, WP, 52 pitches, 26 strikes.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: May 26, 2022, 09:14:22 AM »

strasburguesque

Offline Section214

« Reply #39: May 26, 2022, 10:02:02 AM »

I know he is the butt of a joke at this point among Nationals fans, but it's very cool that he is still grinding and trying to get out there through all of his injuries.

Still only 22, I hope for his sake he is able to get through a dozen starts this summer and build up

Offline imref

« Reply #40: May 26, 2022, 10:17:03 AM »
I know he is the butt of a joke at this point among Nationals fans, but it's very cool that he is still grinding and trying to get out there through all of his injuries.

Still only 22, I hope for his sake he is able to get through a dozen starts this summer and build up

agreed. Just to see him back on the mound is encouraging. Let's give him, like Strasburg, 3 or 4 starts to see where they are.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #41: May 26, 2022, 11:19:42 AM »
Broadcast was on last night but missed the beginning. Did not realize Joel Hanrahan was the pitching coach there. Maybe he can help. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #42: May 26, 2022, 12:48:29 PM »
Broadcast was on last night but missed the beginning. Did not realize Joel Hanrahan was the pitching coach there. Maybe he can help. 
He was on G&D's new baseball podcast recently. Good listen.

Glad to see Mason still going after it. Guys in his situation got the worst end of the deal during Covid. Hopefully he can still realize some of his potential. He was a 1st round pick for a reason.

Offline imref

« Reply #43: June 01, 2022, 10:28:57 PM »
3 IP, 0H, 3BB, 6Ks tonight.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: June 02, 2022, 09:28:26 AM »
3 IP, 0H, 3BB, 6Ks tonight.
Strasburgesque second start.

Offline imref

« Reply #45: June 02, 2022, 01:53:06 PM »
49 pitches, 26 strikes.  If Denaburg does nothing more than stay healthy this year, that's a win.

Offline imref

« Reply #46: June 09, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »
2⅔ IP, 3H, 3R, 3ER, 3BB, 4K, HR, WP last night.  Fell apart in the third.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #47: June 09, 2022, 10:17:54 AM »
2⅔ IP, 3H, 3R, 3ER, 3BB, 4K, HR, WP last night.  Fell apart in the third.
Call him up. He will fit in with the majority of our SP’s.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #48: June 15, 2022, 01:50:18 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/hoothtrevor/status/1536865891652096002?s=21&t=ZXkw_I5kHilPF9129FiIjA

WAS RHP Mason Denaburg looking nasty as ever. Struck out 4 in 3 innings today. FB up to 97 MPH per the broadcast. Breaking stuff was working. Really fun arm, awesome to see he’s healthy.

3 innings, 2 hits, 4 strikeouts, no walks

Offline imref

« Reply #49: June 26, 2022, 01:00:34 PM »
made it to 4 IP last night, 6H, 3R, 3ER, 0BB, 1K, HR