Author Topic: Tyler Skaggs of the LA Angels found dead at age 27  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Tyler Skaggs of the LA Angels found dead at age 27
« Reply #50: September 02, 2019, 10:59:39 AM »
Their patients are the ones saying they're in pain and the doctors unable to ascertain the cause.

Everyone acts like you can just run a scan and have a diagnosis. It's not that easy. And even with a diagnosis, treatment isnt always simple or quick
It’s scary when you make sense.

They should be given weed instead.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #51: September 02, 2019, 11:00:09 AM »
"Doctors" also over-prescribed antibiotics for the flu.  Bottom of the class has to work somewhere.

That's a pretty good analogy actually.  Like Bluestreak observed docs have pressure to achieve satisfactory patient reviews and giving them what they demand is an easier path than giving them the tough love they really need.  The whole system is not geared towards efficient, effective outcomes really. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #52: September 02, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »
Doctors are encouraged to go along with patients. So if mommy insists on antibiotics even though it’s not bacterial the doctor will relent and prescribe it.

:shock:  really?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #53: September 02, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »
That's a pretty good analogy actually.  Like Bluestreak observed docs have pressure to achieve satisfactory patient reviews and giving them what they demand is an easier path than giving them the tough love they really need.  The whole system is not geared towards efficient, effective outcomes really.
That’s because that’s not what the customers want. They want what they want when they want it. And know how to work the system. We know that many lie about their pain to get the opioids.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: September 02, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »

Encouraged  is a bit strong. It's more like, how do I get this stupid wench to shut the freak up so I can move on to another patient? Oh she has insurance? Take these.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #55: September 02, 2019, 11:03:52 AM »

Yep.  As bluestreak noted they are all evaluated on customer satisfaction. So that means giving them what they want unless it’s a danger.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #56: September 02, 2019, 11:07:42 AM »
Encouraged  is a bit strong. It's more like, how do I get this stupid wench to shut the freak up so I can move on to another patient? Oh she has insurance? Take these.
It’s also why people who show up at the emergency room for minor treatment are not turned away.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #57: September 02, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »

Sure.  In a few days they are feeling better, the doctor must have been correct in his diagnosis an prescription!  Even though the virus just ran its course and the antibiotic had no effect whatsoever.   

Even many illnesses with biological origin would resolve themselves without treatment. I worked for a company back in the day that had a clinical trial (550 patients) that were first tested positive for strep throat - half were dosed with the antibiotic and half placebo.  The cure rate for the drug was 70% (which met the threshold required for FDA approval which was exactly 70%) but the cure rate for placebo as I recall was 50% (all within a fairly short time frame).  All patients eventually recovered, just some reached cure faster than others due to treatment.

I think the tide has turned a bit on antibiotic overprescribing - blue, what do you see in practice?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #58: September 02, 2019, 11:10:02 AM »
Yep.  As bluestreak noted they are all evaluated on customer satisfaction. So that means giving them what they want unless it’s a danger.

Of course overprescribing antibiotics IS a danger to all of us collectively.  And it's not just prescriptions, note the prevalence of antibiotic soaps too.  Nothing like a stiff challenge to overcome that can breed super bugs.

Online Slateman

« Reply #59: September 02, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
It’s also why people who show up at the emergency room for minor treatment are not turned away.
No, they're not turned away because the hospital doesnt feel like getting sued.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #60: September 02, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »
No, they're not turned away because the hospital doesnt feel like getting sued.
Yea. The customer is always right. When I was a kid doctors were like gods. You would never question them. Now as a society we question everything. In general we are spoiled brats.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61: September 02, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »
I have literally been called in and asked “what are you doing to improve your Press-Gainey (patient satisfaction) scores? Hospitals are businesses that need to attract customers. Customers don’t care about outcomes. They care about seeing someone quickly, getting what they want, and having their ass kissed. And pretty waiting rooms and facilities.
And clinics and hospitals love touting their high satisfaction scores. Even though evidence shows that high scores are correlated to worse outcomes. Because PR...
So you can hold the line and not only have to deal with a complaining patient in front of you, you have to deal with a complaining administrator on the back end.
You would be shocked to sit in one of these Press-Gainey coaching workshops that is required of all staff.

Online Slateman

« Reply #62: September 02, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »
See this is why I dgaf and take them to triage :lol:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #63: September 02, 2019, 12:07:05 PM »
I’ve learned from my daughter the doctor what bluestreak said is true. Doctors are encouraged to go along with patients. So if mommy insists on antibiotics even though it’s not bacterial the doctor will relent and prescribe it. It’s also why she frequently treats patients at an emergency room who have minor issues. It’s the American way!

I don't think this is incompatible with what I said.  Not everyone is a rockstar, but the ones that are probably aren't worried about what the patient thinks.  Not to say they're not culpable as well - I don't know hospital politics from the next job but in the spirit of "the American way" I'm sure it's just as rife with misguided performance quotas.

Offline machpost

« Reply #64: September 02, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »
Opioids are no joke. He probably took them to ease the pain of the grind, ala Roy Halladay.

It's probably time that MLB relaxes the substance abuse policy with regards to the herb.

MLB players don't get suspended if they test positive for marijuana. There must be reasonable cause for them to be tested in the first place. It isn't tested for nor enforced the same way as PEDs.

MiLB is a different story. Those players are subject to random testing and can be suspended.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #65: September 03, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
I had kidney stones as a teenager, and at least one doctor I saw during that time thought I was lying about my level of pain (I wasn't). That doctor still gave me morphine.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #66: September 03, 2019, 07:26:49 PM »
And after all that, they hired an utter hack to write the study report
Even many illnesses with biological origin would resolve themselves without treatment. I worked for a company back in the day that had a clinical trial (550 patients) that were first tested positive for strep throat - half were dosed with the antibiotic and half placebo.  The cure rate for the drug was 70% (which met the threshold required for FDA approval which was exactly 70%) but the cure rate for placebo as I recall was 50% (all within a fairly short time frame).  All patients eventually recovered, just some reached cure faster than others due to treatment.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67: September 03, 2019, 07:38:14 PM »
Sure.  In a few days they are feeling better, the doctor must have been correct in his diagnosis an prescription!  Even though the virus just ran its course and the antibiotic had no effect whatsoever.   

I think the tide has turned a bit on antibiotic overprescribing - blue, what do you see in practice?

Strep throat isn’t a great example. You need to treat that because of the possibility of rheumatic fever. So most pediatricians are giving a full course if you have a positive swab or throat culture.

But for things like ear infections and respiratory illnesses? Yes the tide has turned quite a bit. Lot harder to get antibiotics now.

• babble on
« Reply #68: September 03, 2019, 08:04:09 PM »
Here.  In Hanoi street hawkers sell cipro for hangovers.  And that's a flight away.   
Strep throat isn’t a great example. You need to treat that because of the possibility of rheumatic fever. So most pediatricians are giving a full course if you have a positive swab or throat culture.

But for things like ear infections and respiratory illnesses? Yes the tide has turned quite a bit. Lot harder to get antibiotics now.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #69: September 03, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
And after all that, they hired an utter hack to write the study report

:lol:

Hey, it passed, go figure.

• babble on

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71: September 03, 2019, 08:14:03 PM »
Here.  In Hanoi street hawkers sell cipro for hangovers.  And that's a flight away.

You can get anything just across the border in Tiajuna. And watch out for the tendon rupture.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

Yeah, that’s not really accurate unless you’re going to a lame doctor