Author Topic: Tyler Skaggs of the LA Angels found dead at age 27  (Read 3791 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
It’s alarming how prevalent this crap has gotten. I can’t believe doctors can write scrips to this extent willy nilly.

Most of these folks just wanted to take the "edge off" to ease the pain of the daily grind, whether it's ball players, mill workers, coal miners, kids hangin' around on the corner, etc.     In W. PA and the tri-state area, there's a code in the obituaries that tells opioids took another young life without mentioning the cause of death.     My niece was explaining the nuances of the obits.    It's pretty sad.

Offline HalfSmokes

It’s alarming how prevalent this crap has gotten. I can’t believe doctors can write scrips to this extent willy nilly.

A lot of these drugs were initially pushed by pharma to doctors as non-addictive alternatives to other opioids.
As far as sports, not really shocking; anyone remember this little scandal that went nowhere https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/28/nfl-toradol-lawsuit-painkillers-nflpa-union-team-doctor-conflict-interest

Online Natsinpwc

Most of these folks just wanted to take the "edge off" to ease the pain of the daily grind, whether it's ball players, mill workers, coal miners, kids hangin' around on the corner, etc.     In W. PA and the tri-state area, there's a code in the obituaries that tells opioids took another young life without mentioning the cause of death.     My niece was explaining the nuances of the obits.    It's pretty sad.
It may be worse out here. My SIL tells me that about one third of the patients they have as plastic surgeons are treatment for infections from heroin injections. They have to do skin grafts. So even if you don’t kill yourself you still have some major issues. Of course we as taxpayers pay these bills. Just make it all legal.

Offline mitlen

It may be worse out here. My SIL tells me that about one third of the patients they have as plastic surgeons are treatment for infections from heroin injections. They have to do skin grafts. So even if you don’t kill yourself you still have some major issues. Of course we as taxpayers pay these bills. Just make it all legal.

My sense is the whole Ohio River valley is a mess.    Ya got PA, OH, WV, KY, IN, IL   .....   

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/statedeaths/drug-overdose-death-rate-increase-2016-2017.html

Offline Mattionals

It's nuts and I'm really glad that I try to convince folks to skip the painkillers and try your best to deal with the pain. It sucks, but the alternatives have gotten so bad and out of hand.

Offline mitlen

It's nuts and I'm really glad that I try to convince folks to skip the painkillers and try your best to deal with the pain. It sucks, but the alternatives have gotten so bad and out of hand.

I have some stuff comin' up and it concerns me.    I think of my old man who refused pain killers after he got his hip replaced in '82.    They may have dripped him but he didn't wanna become addicted.

Online Natsinpwc

I have some stuff comin' up and it concerns me.    I think of my old man who refused pain killers after he got his hip replaced in '82.    They may have dripped him but he didn't wanna become addicted.

I got some of the hard stuff after my hand surgery last month but didn't use it--still sitting there in the closet.  On the other hand I have been on steady doses of ibuprofen to reduce the swelling there and with my eye.  Will have to wean myself off it. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Professional athlete uses recreational drugs. Professional athlete dies from said drug use. Old story. Nothing to see here...

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I’ve used pain killers after surgery a few times and was extremely thankful for them but when the script was done I didn’t go hunt down my local drug dealer to get more. It actually IS possible to use them for the prescribed time and NOT become addicted.

Offline mitlen

I’ve used pain killers after surgery a few times and was extremely thankful for them but when the script was done I didn’t go hunt down my local drug dealer to get more. It actually IS possible to use them for the prescribed time and NOT become addicted.

It's good to have a support system.   I told the missus to keep an eye on me.

Offline dracnal

Re: Tyler Skaggs of the LA Angels found dead at age 27
« Reply #35: September 02, 2019, 06:36:55 AM »
It's good to have a support system.   I told the missus to keep an eye on me.

I was on eight percocets a day for eight months prior to a spinal surgery. Three days after the surgery I took a perc and felt... weird. I didn't take another one after that. Painkillers are fine as long as you are seriously in pain. If you're feeling high from them? Don't. Take. Them.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #36: September 02, 2019, 07:14:36 AM »
I blew my knee out many years ago ( ACL , MCL and partial meniscus). Had donor ligament replace ACL. Dr. gave me a scrip for Oxy (60 tabs) and I used a few and still have the remainder. When I went in for my post -surgery visit a week later he offered me a re-fill. I un-graciously declined . I hope he has learned from that.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #37: September 02, 2019, 07:54:33 AM »
I blew my knee out many years ago ( ACL , MCL and partial meniscus). Had donor ligament replace ACL. Dr. gave me a scrip for Oxy (60 tabs) and I used a few and still have the remainder. When I went in for my post -surgery visit a week later he offered me a re-fill. I un-graciously declined . I hope he has learned from that.

:(

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #38: September 02, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »
docs are way too liberal with pain meds.  Focus should be on fixing the root causes of pain, not covering them up.  Besides, effectiveness of opioids declines over time to the point where all that's left is the addiction, with no corresponding pain reduction.  They are just flat out not an effective remedy for chronic pain. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #39: September 02, 2019, 10:21:20 AM »
docs are way too liberal with pain meds.  Focus should be on fixing the root causes of pain, not covering them up.  Besides, effectiveness of opioids declines over time to the point where all that's left is the addiction, with no corresponding pain reduction.  They are just flat out not an effective remedy for chronic pain.
I think that is changing. After eye surgery they just told me to take aspirin. When I had shingles a couple years ago same thing. Or they only give you a prescription for a couple days worth.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: September 02, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »

Lots of times the root causes of pain aren’t fixable. It’s easy to blame doctors (or be un-gracious to them  :roll:) but all this happened in an environment where hospitals were accredited in part because of how they were assessing and managing pain and use of meds was encouraged.
Also, docs jobs depend on patient satisfaction surveys. You know what is certain to get you low marks? Telling someone in pain they can’t get opioids.

There is plenty of blame to go around for the opioid mess. Docs, drug companies, patients, government, accreditation bodies, the media. No need to pin it all on the physicians.

I admit I have some bias though.

And I think all this is ultimately bad for patients. I think the pendulum probably has swung too far in the other direction.
The reason opioids were used is because they were the best option. There isn’t a great substitute. So now we will have people sitting in pain because we are scared of addiction.  It’s hard.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #41: September 02, 2019, 10:35:22 AM »

Okay, go tell that to people suffering from chronic pain

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: September 02, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »
Lots of times the root causes if pain aren’t fixable. It’s easy to blame doctors (or be un-gracious to them  :roll:) but all this happened in an environment where hospitals were accredited in part because of how they were assessing and managing pain and use of meds was encouraged.
Also, docs jobs depend on patient satisfaction surveys. You know what is certain to get you low marks? Telling someone in pain they can’t get opioids.

There is plenty of blame to go around for the opioid mess. Docs, drug companies, patients, government, accreditation bodies, the media. No need to pin it all on the physicians.

I admit I have some bias though.

And I think all this is ultimately bad for patients. I think the pendulum probably has swung too far in the other direction.
The reason opioids were used is because they were the best option. There isn’t a great substitute. So now we will have people sitting in pain because we are scared of addiction.  It’s hard.

I should have been more clear - there's no doubt it's a systemic issue.  Medicine practiced American style though does seem way too overly focused on using meds or surgery to address problems, when often a more holistic approach might be more effective in the long run. 

By the pendulum having swung too far do you mean it's now too hard for deserving patients to be treated for pain?  Collectively I bet Americans are still by far the most heavily prescribed pain patients in the universe. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #43: September 02, 2019, 10:45:33 AM »
It’s easy to blame doctors (or be un-gracious to them  :roll:)

They're the ones writing the scrips.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: September 02, 2019, 10:48:58 AM »

And patients are the ones asking...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #45: September 02, 2019, 10:49:17 AM »
Their patients are the ones saying they're in pain and the doctors unable to ascertain the cause.

Everyone acts like you can just run a scan and have a diagnosis. It's not that easy. And even with a diagnosis, treatment isnt always simple or quick

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #46: September 02, 2019, 10:50:48 AM »
"Doctors" also over-prescribed antibiotics for the flu.  Bottom of the class has to work somewhere.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #47: September 02, 2019, 10:55:58 AM »
Okay, go tell that to people suffering from chronic pain

They MUST be told the truth - that effectiveness wanes quickly and that addiction is likely.  Except for cancer or end of life type situations opioids are almost never a good option.  They need to know that a year hence they'll likely be getting no relief from the pain that they desired but will be hooked.

Avoid or delay prescribing opioids for chronic pain. These medications are not often safe or effective for chronic pain unrelated to cancer or cancer treatments. Your doctor should help you evaluate many other therapies — including nonpharmacological treatments and nonopioid medications — before considering a trial of opioids.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prescription-drug-abuse/in-depth/how-to-use-opioids-safely/art-20360373

Offline Slateman

« Reply #48: September 02, 2019, 10:57:04 AM »
You dont think they're told that already?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: September 02, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »
"Doctors" also over-prescribed antibiotics for the flu.  Bottom of the class has to work somewhere.
I’ve learned from my daughter the doctor what bluestreak said is true. Doctors are encouraged to go along with patients. So if mommy insists on antibiotics even though it’s not bacterial the doctor will relent and prescribe it. It’s also why she frequently treats patients at an emergency room who have minor issues. It’s the American way!