Author Topic: David Ortiz shot in DR  (Read 1439 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
David Ortiz shot in DR
« Topic Start: June 09, 2019, 10:47:43 PM »
Mlbtr:

Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is in hospital in Santo Domingo Este after receiving a gunshot wound in the leg, according to multiple reports out of the Dominican Republic, including TV station CDN 37 (Twitter link).  Ortiz was the victim of a robbery attempt earlier today, and the suspect is reportedly now in police custody.  Further details are scarce, as even Leo Ortiz, David’s father, told ESPN.com’s Enrique Rojas (translated by ESPN.com’s Marly Rivera) said that he was called about the situation, “but they did not tell me how he is or exactly where he was transferred.”

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: David Ortiz shot in DR
« Reply #1: June 09, 2019, 11:13:24 PM »
He was shot in the back and it exited his abdomen. There is surveillance video from the bar, it looks like an assassination attempt and not a rubbery. I feel sick :(

Offline imref

« Reply #2: June 09, 2019, 11:57:21 PM »
He was shot in the back and it exited his abdomen. There is surveillance video from the bar, it looks like an assassination attempt and not a rubbery. I feel sick :(

Horrible.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #3: June 10, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
One report said surgeons had to remove parts of his colon and small intestine, as well as his gall bladder. Some liver damage as well. Still, prognosis is apparently good.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: June 10, 2019, 02:24:48 PM »
One report said surgeons had to remove parts of his colon and small intestine, as well as his gall bladder. Some liver damage as well. Still, prognosis is apparently good.
Terrible. The shooter is lucky the other folks didn’t kill him. They love Papi there. Well everyone loves the guy.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #5: June 10, 2019, 08:19:33 PM »
Terrible. The shooter is lucky the other folks didn’t kill him. They love Papi there. Well everyone loves the guy.
Saw a video where crowd members were kicking the suspect in the head, throwing things at his head, etc. Yet, treated and released to police custody so I guess it wasn't THAT bad. Supposedly, there was another (still free) suspect. Not clear if both did some shooting or which guy did it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: June 11, 2019, 08:39:34 AM »
Sox sent an ambulance plane and he's been transferred to Mass General. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #7: June 12, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »
So ... uh .... there are some unconfirmed reports that he might have been banging some major drug lord's wife.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #8: June 12, 2019, 07:38:57 PM »
So ... uh .... there are some unconfirmed reports that he might have been banging some major drug lord's wife.

There are apparently six suspects so far, so a hit rather than a robbery sounds like it could be possible.  For now, I'm just waiting to hear that he's in stable condition and doesn't have say, a major spine injury.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #9: June 12, 2019, 07:56:49 PM »
There are apparently six suspects so far, so a hit rather than a robbery sounds like it could be possible.  For now, I'm just waiting to hear that he's in stable condition and doesn't have say, a major spine injury.

Evening News indicated a hit and the gunman got about eight grand.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #10: June 12, 2019, 09:40:18 PM »
I saw the video. That wasnt a robbery. That was a straight up assassination.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #11: June 12, 2019, 09:40:43 PM »
I saw the video. That wasnt a robbery. That was a straight up assassination.

This

Supposedly, the assassination "team" had been tracking him all evening.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: June 12, 2019, 09:56:17 PM »
He and Tiffany had been divorced and remarried, I think.

I would love to have been in on the interrogation.

Ortiz is up and walking so I don't think there is a spinal issue.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: June 12, 2019, 09:57:21 PM »
This

Supposedly, the assassination "team" had been tracking him all evening.
$8k isn’t much. Even down there. Not too bright to shoot someone in a public place with the witnesses and cameras.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #14: June 12, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »
$8k isn’t much. Even down there. Not too bright to shoot someone in a public place with the witnesses and cameras.

There's an aroma here.    This young man may have been in somebody's debt.     In any case, there is no logic to the act.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #15: June 13, 2019, 04:01:32 AM »

You are assuming fair courts with a jury of one’s peers. I don’t know enough about the DR justice system to know if that is too optomisttic a solution. As always I welcome actual lawyers who have read up on things to chime to in.

This is an area where baseball smarts mean nothing.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: June 13, 2019, 07:47:25 AM »
You are assuming fair courts with a jury of one’s peers. I don’t know enough about the DR justice system to know if that is too optomisttic a solution. As always I welcome actual lawyers who have read up on things to chime to in.

This is an area where baseball smarts mean nothing.
I don’t know what you mean?  What does baseball smarts have to do with the shooter? They caught the shooter red handed. He’s not going to get away no matter who his lawyers are.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: June 13, 2019, 07:50:10 AM »
I don’t know what you mean?  What does baseball smarts have to do with the shooter? They caught the shooter red handed. He’s not going to get away no matter who his lawyers are.

The question is will they catch and punish whoever paid the shooter

Offline mitlen

« Reply #18: June 13, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »
The question is will they catch and punish whoever paid the shooter

Probably not  ...  he most likely pays the judges and politicians as well.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: June 13, 2019, 08:39:18 AM »
7 arrests so far, including the shooter.  I'm expecting a nice show trial.  I think they may just all end up being exiled to Nogales.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #20: June 13, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »

I don't know that it matters much for him.  If someone pays you to kill someone and you then manage to not kill the guy, get caught, and your arrest leads back to the source (as it seems to, with so many people arrested) you're probably on borrowed time no matter whether you're found guilty or not and regardless of what sentence you get. 

Offline imref

« Reply #21: June 13, 2019, 12:40:31 PM »
7 arrests so far, including the shooter.  I'm expecting a nice show trial.  I think they may just all end up being exiled to Nogales.

no motive yet from what I read earlier.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: June 13, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »
I don't know that it matters much for him.  If someone pays you to kill someone and you then manage to not kill the guy, get caught, and your arrest leads back to the source (as it seems to, with so many people arrested) you're probably on borrowed time no matter whether you're found guilty or not and regardless of what sentence you get. 
more than likely, the first guy ratted out the others to save his skin (what's left of it). Don't know much about Dominican due process.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #23: June 13, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »
One of the Ortiz suspects may be wanted in Berks CO, PA.     

AP:    Luis Rivas-Clase, 31, is charged in an April 2018 shooting in Reading. The victim, who was shot in the lower back, told authorities that Rivas-Clase threatened to have him killed a few days before the shooting, according to the Berks County sheriff's office.

Pennsylvania authorities released a mug shot of Rivas-Clase that strongly resembles the suspect in an image provided by Dominican authorities, who provided the same name but without the hyphen listed in U.S. court documents.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #24: June 13, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »
One of the Ortiz suspects may be wanted in Berks CO, PA.   

Is that WPA?