Author Topic: 2019 MLB Draft Thread  (Read 2958 times)

Offline UMDNats

2019 MLB Draft Thread
« Topic Start: June 03, 2019, 10:00:35 AM »
With the draft tonight I figure we can discuss it here.

A lot of mocks have us taking Matthew Allen, a (shocker) high school arm who expects a big contract.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-mock-draft-2019-adley-rutschman-still-favorite-to-go-no-1-andrew-vaughn-drops-a-few-spots/

Pick: RHP Matthew Allan, Seminole HS (Florida)

The Nationals typically select the biggest name, highest upside player on the board, even when there are injuries (Lucas Giolito in 2012, Erick Fedde in 2014) or off-the-field concerns (Seth Romero in 2017) involved. Allan does not have any injury or makeup issues. He's just the best high school pitcher in the draft class and expects to be paid accordingly, which is reportedly north of $4 million. That is a bit above this pick's slot value ($3.6 million), but not so much so that it's unworkable. The Nationals rarely pick near the top of the draft and, in this mock draft, they land a player with top 10 tools who is maybe scaring some teams away with his price tag. Allan is right in Washington's wheelhouse.

First mock draft pick: OF Kameron Misner, Missouri
Second mock draft pick: C Shea Langeliers, Baylor

Seems like we'll once again go with the "take an expensive high schooler early, draft all nubs the rest of the way" strategy. Wonder who we'll trade Allen for in 2 years? :lmao:

Offline UMDNats

Re: 2019 MLB Draft Thread
« Reply #1: June 03, 2019, 10:52:26 AM »
My hot take about the draft is this

1) high-end pitching prospects have a long time to go before they contribute to the MLB club (usually), they move slower than hitters
2) pitching prospects are more vulnerable to major injuries that slow/end their development (mindfact), so they are a riskier game by default
3) we have had little to no success (mostly no success) developing pitchers internally, especially HS arms
4) even if you get a pitcher to the major league level, huge chance they suffer a major injury. look at luis severino this season. they'll break your heart

because of this, i believe we should look for college bats + college starters that could provide pitching depth at the upper levels (even if the ceiling is lower - think wil crowe). cheap back-end guys have value to us with our propensity for big money at the top of the rotation and we need position players who have the GRIT to win

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2: June 03, 2019, 11:37:34 AM »
My hot take about the draft is this

1) high-end pitching prospects have a long time to go before they contribute to the MLB club (usually), they move slower than hitters
2) pitching prospects are more vulnerable to major injuries that slow/end their development (mindfact), so they are a riskier game by default
3) we have had little to no success (mostly no success) developing pitchers internally, especially HS arms
4) even if you get a pitcher to the major league level, huge chance they suffer a major injury. look at luis severino this season. they'll break your heart

because of this, i believe we should look for college bats + college starters that could provide pitching depth at the upper levels (even if the ceiling is lower - think wil crowe). cheap back-end guys have value to us with our propensity for big money at the top of the rotation and we need position players who have the GRIT to win
I think the problem is most organizations are moving that way. So fewer college bats available.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: June 03, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »
consensus #1 pick Adley Rutschman got intentionally walked in the NCAA tournament game with the bases loaded the other night and his team down by 3 runs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/likely-no-1-pick-gets-barry-bonds-treatment-with-bases-loaded-intentional-walk-063738731.html

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: June 03, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »
I'd like them to grab She Langeliers

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: June 03, 2019, 04:42:39 PM »
Langeliers has a brother.  Guy. I think they are from Quebec.

Online imref

« Reply #6: June 03, 2019, 05:04:05 PM »

projections don't have him falling that far.

I can't wait to see who we get for the Harper pick. sigh...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #7: June 03, 2019, 05:39:50 PM »
projections don't have him falling that far.

I can't wait to see who we get for the Harper pick. sigh...
I've seen a  couple mocks with him falling to 17, but I'd be surprised if hes there.

Josh Jung has also been mocked to the Nats.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: June 03, 2019, 08:07:41 PM »

Went to Braves at 9. How are the Braves picking at 9?

Edit. Nevermind. Compensation pick for not signing last year’s pick.

Offline EXILAR

« Reply #9: June 03, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »
Went to Braves at 9. How are the Braves picking at 9?

Edit. Nevermind. Compensation pick for not signing last year’s pick.

Does Carter Stewart ring a bell? Still can't believe they got Langeliers

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #10: June 03, 2019, 08:50:54 PM »
Talk to me scouts.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #11: June 03, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »
MLB Network has said several times that he's "gigantic."  Jackson Gigantic. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: June 03, 2019, 09:08:02 PM »
Not good when multiple people are concerned about your arm action and you’re being compared to Kevin Appier and Joe Kelly

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #14: June 03, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
Not good when multiple people are concerned about your arm action and you’re being compared to Kevin Appier and Joe Kelly
He hasnt even pitched yet in the pros lol.

Online imref

« Reply #16: June 03, 2019, 09:54:16 PM »
ESPN:

17. Washington Nationals: Jackson Rutledge, RHP, San Jacinto College

Who is Rutledge? If you thought Alek Manoah was big, wait until you see the 6-foot-8 260-pound Rutledge on the mound. Rutledge landed at San Jacinto after transferring from Arkansas and dominated with a fastball that touched 98 regularly this spring.

Why the Nationals took him here: Six-foot-8 with a high 90s fastball, a cutter and an improving breaking ball. It's not hard to understand why Washington would jump on a chance to draft a pitcher with that upside, but it remains to see what he'll do against elite competition after taking the junior college route to the draft. -- Mullen

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #17: June 03, 2019, 10:33:09 PM »
6'8" and throws like a catcher, man that tests me -- grew up on those 90s mechanics.

Online imref

« Reply #18: June 03, 2019, 11:30:41 PM »
more on Rutledge:

https://www.federalbaseball.com/2019/6/3/18651494/mlb-draft-2019-washington-nationals-select-rhp-jackson-rutledge-17th-overall-pick-first-round

Rutledge is a 6’8’’ right-hander who was the second-highest ranked right-handed pitching on MLB Pipeline’s list of the Top prospects for the 2019 Draft, writing that the pitcher, “... emerged as the best junior college prospect since Bryce Harper went No. 1 overall out of Southern Nevada in 2010 and the best in Texas since Clay Buchholz was a supplemental first-rounder from Angelina in 2005.”

They had to mention Harper, right.

“Rutledge pitches at 94-97 mph and reaches 99 with his fastball, showing the ability to carry premium velocity into the late innings,” they added, noting that with the pitcher’s, “... huge 6-foot-8 frame, Rutledge creates difficult angle on his pitches that make them even harder to hit.”

Here’s how they graded his stuff: Fastball: 70 | Slider: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45 | Overall: 55:

MLB.com’s Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo both had Rutledge going in the Top 10 in their final mock drafts. ESPN.com’s Keith Law had him at No. 11. He fell to the Nationals at No. 17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=wZYym69NBmQ

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #19: June 04, 2019, 01:18:13 AM »
This kids floor is Jon Rauch and his ceiling is The Mountain from game of thrones. Good pick

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #20: June 04, 2019, 05:18:01 AM »
Thanks for all the info.    The older white guy on the MLB Network coverage seemed particularly critical about Rutledges's short arm delivery and no long follow through.     Also, something about his elbow and hip surgery.    For some reason this guy was pretty negative.    I'm biased but he almost came across as not liking the pick or the Nats.      The other analysts were more in tune with the pick.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: June 04, 2019, 07:25:06 AM »
Thanks for all the info.    The older white guy on the MLB Network coverage seemed particularly critical about Rutledges's short arm delivery and no long follow through.     Also, something about his elbow and hip surgery.    For some reason this guy was pretty negative.    I'm biased but he almost came across as not liking the pick or the Nats.      The other analysts were more in tune with the pick.

Dan O Dowd, used to be GM for Rockies. Worked for Os for a period. Maybe that’s why he hates Nats

Offline Slateman

« Reply #22: June 04, 2019, 08:05:33 AM »
Big guy, had a bad freshman season, got in the gym, cleaned up his diet, started working with Rapsodo  and changed his mechanics. This enabled him to turn is slurve into two separate breaking balls.

High ceiling, but also has a lot of risk.

Offline Section214

« Reply #23: June 04, 2019, 08:27:27 AM »
I know they are just JUCO numbers, but still 134 Ks in 82 2/3 IP with 30 BB and a 0.87 ERA is no joke. Also only gave up 1 HR... And he's only 20.

If he can polish up his mechanics a little bit and add a + changeup, look out.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #24: June 04, 2019, 09:06:37 AM »
Reminds me of when Stras was drafted and that esteemed White Sox PC (was it Don Cooper?) forecast he'd have career-long arm problems.