Author Topic: #TheLittleThings  (Read 337 times)

Offline rileyn

#TheLittleThings
« Topic Start: May 20, 2019, 06:36:52 AM »
In this thread we talk about the little things that burned us.  I can't believe we have waited this long.  I will start and I'm sure I missed a few:

Suzuki passed ball allows runner to move up to 3rd, and then scores the Cubs 4th run on a sac fly to the next batter.

Parra trying to stretch into a double, overslides the bag, and instead of 2nd and 3rd, with one out, we have a runner on 3rd with 2 outs (does not score).

Soto getting a bad jump with 2 outs on Parra's single, and being left at 3rd.  Gotta run on contact, Son.  Would have tied the game.

As a footnote, Davey's assessment:  “The boys played hard, all the way to the end,” said Manager Dave Martinez,.....

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: #TheLittleThings
« Reply #1: May 20, 2019, 08:49:58 AM »
It's tough to knock Suzuki on a passed ball. He's working with a new pitcher who has control issues from the start and a pretty volatile breaking ball.

Only issue we have with Parra is the slide. He stays on the base,he was safe. Hell, the umpire calls him safe initially, it wasn't getting overturned.

Soto was not scoring. I'm going to keep saying this until some of you get it through your heads. Soto is a BAD baserunner. He does not have good first steps. Henley was never going to send him and we don't want him to, because the only thing that would have kept Soto from being out by 20 feet was the fact that the throw was air mailed. The Nats as a whole are particularly hesitant around the Cubs because Contreras loves to snap throw all over the infield, and Soto has already been shown vulnerable: https://www.bleachernation.com/2018/08/10/juan-soto-is-a-19-year-old-stud-but-he-got-worked-on-the-bases-by-the-cubs-videos/

If you were going to talk #TheLittleThings, McGowin fielding a ground ball and flipping it to Suzuki to get Heyward at the plate. He fields it, Heyward is out by a significant margin.

Guys did play hard. Honestly, I was expecting them to get shutout by Kendricks because he's the kind of pitcher that has dominated them in the past. You don't expect to be in a game when your starter goes three innings.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #2: May 20, 2019, 10:41:03 AM »
It's tough to knock Suzuki on a passed ball. He's working with a new pitcher who has control issues from the start and a pretty volatile breaking ball.

Only issue we have with Parra is the slide. He stays on the base,he was safe. Hell, the umpire calls him safe initially, it wasn't getting overturned.

Soto was not scoring. I'm going to keep saying this until some of you get it through your heads. Soto is a BAD baserunner. He does not have good first steps. Henley was never going to send him and we don't want him to, because the only thing that would have kept Soto from being out by 20 feet was the fact that the throw was air mailed. The Nats as a whole are particularly hesitant around the Cubs because Contreras loves to snap throw all over the infield, and Soto has already been shown vulnerable: https://www.bleachernation.com/2018/08/10/juan-soto-is-a-19-year-old-stud-but-he-got-worked-on-the-bases-by-the-cubs-videos/

If you were going to talk #TheLittleThings, McGowin fielding a ground ball and flipping it to Suzuki to get Heyward at the plate. He fields it, Heyward is out by a significant margin.

Guys did play hard. Honestly, I was expecting them to get shutout by Kendricks because he's the kind of pitcher that has dominated them in the past. You don't expect to be in a game when your starter goes three innings.

What's your point?  It doesn't matter who gets the blame for the passed ball/wild pitch, or that Soto isn't aware enough to know that he is the tie run, and he has to bust it on the crack of the bat with 2 outs. These plays still fall under the little things that we are not executing. 

Offline rileyn

« Reply #3: May 20, 2019, 10:25:03 PM »
You know what, nevermind this thread. After just watching Eaton swing at the first pitch, I give up. This would just way too much work to keep up with.