Author Topic: Colleges  (Read 1564 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Colleges
« Reply #50: May 04, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »
Spend the tuition on hookers and blow. amiright?

In 2019 you’re going to get a much better ROI sending them on a year long adventure exploring the world and learning about life instead of sending them to one of the many factories of sadness and failure pretending to be academia. If you are going to be a fool and buy into the college scam at least have the sense g-d gave an aardvark to send them to community college first to fail/change majors/“figure things out” before bending over for the meat missile from a four year diploma mill which all of the tier two and below schools have become.

This used to only apply for PhDs but it’s true now for undergrad and grad degrees - unless you go to a top 25 school or do a STEM major and a co-op you’re going to end up sucking dick off the highway to survive when you’re done whether you went to George Mason or Frog Balls State of Eastern Guntucky. But hey, feel free to waste $100K plus while they plow co-eds at FarmVille majoring in college and bong hits. Not my money.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #51: May 06, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
"factories of sadness and failure"

Is that you Morrissey?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #52: May 06, 2019, 03:38:40 PM »
Doing what for State? Just curious.

Foreign service officer, assuming we still have a foreign service in 4-6 years.  :)

His dream was Georgetown SFS but he didn't make it in.

Offline imref

« Reply #53: May 06, 2019, 03:40:23 PM »
In 2019 you’re going to get a much better ROI sending them on a year long adventure exploring the world and learning about life instead of sending them to one of the many factories of sadness and failure pretending to be academia. If you are going to be a fool and buy into the college scam at least have the sense g-d gave an aardvark to send them to community college first to fail/change majors/“figure things out” before bending over for the meat missile from a four year diploma mill which all of the tier two and below schools have become.

This used to only apply for PhDs but it’s true now for undergrad and grad degrees - unless you go to a top 25 school or do a STEM major and a co-op you’re going to end up sucking dick off the highway to survive when you’re done whether you went to George Mason or Frog Balls State of Eastern Guntucky. But hey, feel free to waste $100K plus while they plow co-eds at FarmVille majoring in college and bong hits. Not my money.

Go back and look at what I posted on the previous page - the data shows that unless you are at the top of the heap in a top school,. you generally do better at a lesser school.  That is, graduating top of your class from say "Joe State" generally leads to more success than graduating bottom third from a top-25.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #54: May 06, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »
Foreign service officer, assuming we still have a foreign service in 4-6 years.  :)

His dream was Georgetown SFS but he didn't make it in.
If he wants to make foreign policy better off working for Exxon Mobil or some other big corporation where the real decisions are made.  ;)

Offline imref

« Reply #55: May 06, 2019, 04:35:37 PM »
If he wants to make foreign policy better off working for Exxon Mobil or some other big corporation where the real decisions are made.  ;)

Good point. :-). He's not interested in international business, but I've been encouraging international law.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #56: May 06, 2019, 04:46:48 PM »
Good point. :-). He's not interested in international business, but I've been encouraging international law.
Foreign service officers all work the visa line their first year. And now a tour in Iraq. Most envision themselves doing soemthing important in some important country but the sheer numbers mean most will spend the majority of their time in god forsaken places.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #57: May 06, 2019, 05:10:13 PM »
A friend's dad spent a career in the state department, he ended up as an ambassador around age 60. Very decorated guy. Started in the military I believe. Bilingual, spent a lot of time working in Central and South America.

• babble on
« Reply #58: May 06, 2019, 05:28:05 PM »
An acquaintance got her first posting in beautiful Almaty.  Hubby couldn't work so he basically went around taking care of stray dogs. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #59: May 06, 2019, 08:56:47 PM »
Actually, No.  There is far more going on in the State Department in terms of foreign affairs and US import/export issues than a large corporation with interests in other countries. The State Department will teach people all sorts of ideas/issues that one would acquire than would acquire being part of the corporation

Offline imref

« Reply #60: May 06, 2019, 08:59:13 PM »
Actually, No.  There is far more going on in the State Department in terms of foreign affairs and US import/export issues than a large corporation with interests in other countries. The State Department will teach people all sorts of ideas/issues that one would acquire than would acquire being part of the corporation

They’ve also started hiring again. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #61: May 06, 2019, 09:04:48 PM »
You’re living in a dream world Mathguy. The internet has made the foreign service generally useless. They are a remannt of a time when we didn’t know what was going on in other places.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #62: May 06, 2019, 09:05:56 PM »
You’re living in a dream world Mathguy. The internet has made the foreign service generally useless. They are a remannt of a time when we didn’t know what was going on in other places.

We still don't.     :couch:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: May 06, 2019, 09:16:09 PM »
We still don't.     :couch:
We only have embassies to act as a front for the CIA agents.

• babble on
« Reply #64: May 06, 2019, 09:31:42 PM »
That's part of it, but having neutral turf that's (usually) off limits to host countries has many other ripple effects from what I understand. 
We only have embassies to act as a front for the CIA agents.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #65: May 06, 2019, 09:33:41 PM »
That's part of it, but having neutral turf that's (usually) off limits to host countries has many other ripple effects from what I understand.
I always thought it was so ivy leaguers could get cheap hired help.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #66: May 06, 2019, 09:38:55 PM »
I always thought it was so ivy leaguers could get cheap hired help.

Free digs for Julian Assange.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: May 06, 2019, 09:41:50 PM »
Free digs for Julian Assange.
He even had a cat.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #68: May 06, 2019, 09:42:31 PM »
Actually PWC - you are living in a dream world.  Security issues still exist (... remember the 2016 election ...)   While the internet increases information flow, the truth in information and security makes people contact just as important as always.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #69: May 06, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »
He even had a cat.

That sent the Ecuadorians over the top.     :lol:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #70: May 06, 2019, 09:48:58 PM »
That sent the Ecuadorians over the top.     :lol:
Can’t blame them.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #71: May 06, 2019, 09:52:40 PM »
Actually PWC - you are living in a dream world.  Security issues still exist (... remember the 2016 election ...)   While the internet increases information flow, the truth in information and security makes people contact just as important as always.
Cocktail parties don’t count. I’m pulling your leg of course. To some extent. State only has about a third of the employees at embassies. And much of that is admin support. If someone really wants to help the world I would encourage them to work for AID.

Offline imref

« Reply #72: August 19, 2019, 04:31:32 PM »
Dropped my kid off for his freshman semester yesterday.

Now what?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #73: August 19, 2019, 04:32:55 PM »
Dropped my kid off for his freshman semester yesterday.

Now what?

Congrats to the kid and you.     

Offline imref

« Reply #74: August 19, 2019, 04:36:50 PM »

Congrats to the kid and you.     

thanks.  Not sure I'm ready for the "kids are gone, go play golf" phase of life.  I still have a couple of years left with the younger one at least. :)