Author Topic: Washington Redskins thread (2019)  (Read 8770 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Washington Redskins thread (2019)
« Reply #125: September 30, 2019, 08:21:16 AM »
Haskins was an awful draft pick.   One year starter from a program that doesn’t produce NFL QBs.   With the loaded QB draft in 2020, it makes zero sense.   
He has physical talent and that one year as a starter was spectacular. Hitting the panic button because he entered a beatdown and couldn't save the ship is a bit much.

I didn't want to trade up for Haskins, but loved the pick where we got him. Still really like the pick.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #126: September 30, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
He has physical talent and that one year as a starter was spectacular. Hitting the panic button because he entered a beatdown and couldn't save the ship is a bit much.

I didn't want to trade up for Haskins, but loved the pick where we got him. Still really like the pick.

The giants were supposed to be awful this year and were starting a rookie they were mocked for picking. The redskins were trying to win. The vaunted Alabama defense is terrible, the offense is god awful and the qb looks exactly how I’d expect a qb chosen by Allen after being passed by a dozen more comment GMs to look

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #127: September 30, 2019, 08:43:50 AM »
I just don't think Haskins is ready. I don't mean like his arm isn't ready or he isn't ready to read NFL defenses. No rookie QB is. But Haskins doesn't have the experience with the basics to be playing in the NFL right now. He needs to learn how to prepare. How to practice. How to study film. How to work in practice.

I don't know if he's going to be a bust or not. But throwing him out there when it's clear he needs to develop seems like a quick way to shove him into the bust pile.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #128: September 30, 2019, 08:54:56 AM »
I just don't think Haskins is ready. I don't mean like his arm isn't ready or he isn't ready to read NFL defenses. No rookie QB is. But Haskins doesn't have the experience with the basics to be playing in the NFL right now. He needs to learn how to prepare. How to practice. How to study film. How to work in practice.

I don't know if he's going to be a bust or not. But throwing him out there when it's clear he needs to develop seems like a quick way to shove him into the bust pile.

All that is great if he’s a fifth round pick, first round picks are expected to play quickly. The big advantage that teams get is a good qb on a rookie contract, if he takes two years to learn, you’re losing half of that time period

Offline Slateman

« Reply #129: September 30, 2019, 08:57:31 AM »
All that is great if he’s a fifth round pick, first round picks are expected to play quickly. The big advantage that teams get is a good qb on a rookie contract, if he takes two years to learn, you’re losing half of that time period
Quarterbacks aren't. Particularly when it's known he's a project and had limited starting time at Ohio State.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #130: September 30, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »

on the plus side since haskins will put up terrible numbers on this crapshow of a team he won't be too expensive to re-sign. bruce allen playing the long game.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #131: September 30, 2019, 02:41:12 PM »
The giants were supposed to be awful this year and were starting a rookie they were mocked for picking. The redskins were trying to win. The vaunted Alabama defense is terrible, the offense is god awful and the qb looks exactly how I’d expect a qb chosen by Allen after being passed by a dozen more comment GMs to look
I know the Redskins are a disaster. I'm simply defending Dwayne Haskins.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #132: September 30, 2019, 02:44:17 PM »

I'll still take Haskins over Jones, regardless a couple games. This may be a dumb prediction in a few years. Daniel Jones has significantly more game experience in a pro style offense than Dwayne Haskins. His learning curve is obviously shorter than Haskins. Also, he has a lot more weapons right now than Haskins.

We will see, but I am not selling my Haskins stock after one game.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #133: September 30, 2019, 02:56:51 PM »

maybe he backs up Tua next year?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #134: September 30, 2019, 03:08:03 PM »
I'll still take Haskins over Jones, regardless a couple games. This may be a dumb prediction in a few years. Daniel Jones has significantly more game experience in a pro style offense than Dwayne Haskins. His learning curve is obviously shorter than Haskins. Also, he has a lot more weapons right now than Haskins.

To me it comes down it Bruce Allen. In a vacuum, I have no idea if Haskins will be good or not, but Allen gloating after the draft makes me pretty confident that he'll be a bust. Any time the redskins seem proud for drafting a player who inexplicably drops to them, that player usually ends up being a disappointment. I trust that literally every other GM in the league is a better judge of talent than Bruce 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #135: September 30, 2019, 04:47:26 PM »
To me it comes down it Bruce Allen. In a vacuum, I have no idea if Haskins will be good or not, but Allen gloating after the draft makes me pretty confident that he'll be a bust. Any time the redskins seem proud for drafting a player who inexplicably drops to them, that player usually ends up being a disappointment. I trust that literally every other GM in the league is a better judge of talent than Bruce 
That is honestly a fair concern.

Let's also remember Haskins was a mid 1st rounder. This isn't like RGIII where they traded the farm for him and were only saved by the luck of falling into Kirk Cousins in the 4th.  I think Dwayne Haskins will be a long term option for the Redskins, but if he isn't it isn't a franchise altering mistake.

I think Gruden is out after the Patriots game. I don't necessarily blame him for this mess, but I am ready to turn page even though I think Bruce Allen is bigger problem. Other than maybe Gibbs, Jay Gruden was the least embarrassing coach of the Snyder era.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #136: September 30, 2019, 04:50:39 PM »
I saw a stat that Gruden is the only Synder-era coach who has back-to-back winning seasons. That's remarkable.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #137: September 30, 2019, 04:51:00 PM »

Okay, no, he does not have significantly more weapons. Just stop.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #138: September 30, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »
That is honestly a fair concern.

Let's also remember Haskins was a mid 1st rounder. This isn't like RGIII where they traded the farm for him and were only saved by the luck of falling into Kirk Cousins in the 4th.  I think Dwayne Haskins will be a long term option for the Redskins, but if he isn't it isn't a franchise altering mistake.

I think Gruden is out after the Patriots game. I don't necessarily blame him for this mess, but I am ready to turn page even though I think Bruce Allen is bigger problem. Other than maybe Gibbs, Jay Gruden was the least embarrassing coach of the Snyder era.

whiffing on first rounders isn't remarkable for the redskins. Since the RG3 debacle, they've taken a guard at 5, a bust WR, a D-lineman who can't stay on the field, and a D-lineman who's the definition of meh,  and now Haskins and Sweat. I don't think that lineup has many team envious. Go back that far with second rounders, and the only one who isn't a bust got cut loose isn't and playing here anymore. Looking at the talent on the field, it's pretty obvious that Allen can't draft at all; there is no reason to expect Haskins to be the exception

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #139: September 30, 2019, 10:42:43 PM »
Grim. Probably correct.

whiffing on first rounders isn't remarkable for the redskins. Since the RG3 debacle, they've taken a guard at 5, a bust WR, a D-lineman who can't stay on the field, and a D-lineman who's the definition of meh,  and now Haskins and Sweat. I don't think that lineup has many team envious. Go back that far with second rounders, and the only one who isn't a bust got cut loose isn't and playing here anymore. Looking at the talent on the field, it's pretty obvious that Allen can't draft at all; there is no reason to expect Haskins to be the exception

Offline Slateman

« Reply #140: October 01, 2019, 03:49:11 AM »
How is Payne the definition of meh? Dude has played well.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #141: October 01, 2019, 12:42:44 PM »
Okay, no, he does not have significantly more weapons. Just stop.
Ebron, Sheppard, Gallman > Peterson, Thompson, Davis, PRich

Teams key on Thompson and then it is just a bunch of trash overall. Vernon Davis is probably the best weapon Haskins had and his one throw to him Vernon Davis whiffed it up in the air for an interception.

I want to see Haskins a few games with at least McLaurin. I've given up on Jordan Reed, which is just a sad situation,

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #142: October 01, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
The Scherff pick isn't bad in a vacuum. He has been a stud. Payne and Allen are still solid picks in my book. Doctson was a disaster. And you cannot give up on Haskins and Sweat after FOUR games.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #143: October 01, 2019, 12:51:44 PM »
Ebron, Sheppard, Gallman > Peterson, Thompson, Davis, PRich

Teams key on Thompson and then it is just a bunch of trash overall. Vernon Davis is probably the best weapon Haskins had and his one throw to him Vernon Davis whiffed it up in the air for an interception.

I want to see Haskins a few games with at least McLaurin. I've given up on Jordan Reed, which is just a sad situation,
Richardson is better than Sheppard
Peterson and Thompson are better backs
Tight end is a wash as neither is anything special.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #144: October 04, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #145: October 04, 2019, 09:58:07 PM »
 :hysterical:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #146: October 05, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »
Pats did not activate Ben Watson by 4 today, so he will be inactive on Sunday.  Also inactive will be one of the starting safeties, Pat Chung, a special team coverage guy, Nate Ebner, and Rex Burkhead, a multi-role RB.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #147: October 05, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »
Pats did not activate Ben Watson by 4 today, so he will be inactive on Sunday.  Also inactive will be one of the starting safeties, Pat Chung, a special team coverage guy, Nate Ebner, and Rex Burkhead, a multi-role RB.

:shrug: so you’re saying they’ll only win by 50?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #148: October 05, 2019, 05:39:22 PM »
TBH, I don't watch Washington close enough to guess. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #149: October 05, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »
Might only be 40