Author Topic: 2019-2020 Washington Capitals  (Read 13906 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2019-2020 Washington Capitals
« Reply #650: August 21, 2020, 11:58:54 AM »
Had they not won a cup they would have gone down as arguably the biggest busts in NHL history. With all that talent they should have had better runs than what we've seen out them.
the Barves of hockey with the one win, stack of hall of famers, and great records.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #651: August 21, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »
the Barves of hockey with the one win, stack of hall of famers, and great records.

Sounds about right.  Or, the NHL version of the Nationals (maybe without the stack of HoFs). :)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #652: August 21, 2020, 12:30:53 PM »
The problem is that the Caps arent suited to a rebuild and that's likely what they're looking at

They're closer to rebuild that reload, but we do have 2 stud prospects who will be here next year (McMichael and Alexeyev) and Samsonov looked good (though his injury or whatever is weird). I can't bet against Ovechkin and Backstrom at this point and guys like Oshie are still productive. The problem is the D is generally crap but Marty F looked really solid this year and Carlson and Orlov are both solid, though Orlov is probably overpaid now.

Rierden should go simply because he's pretty much a sack of potatoes back there. Frankly though the people who are like TROTZ OUT COACHED HIM are implying there was any grand strategy involved. Rierden hasn't had a clue for like 6-7 months. Pretty easy to beat the Caps when the 2nd and 3rd lines can't generate goals and the defense is a clusterfreak.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #653: August 21, 2020, 12:32:32 PM »

Not a bad comparison but the only hall of famers we really have had regularly are Ovechkin and maybe Backstrom. A lot of studs, though.

They got a Cup which is all that matters. It's really hard to be a top-5 team for 13 years but that's basically what we have done, minus a couple dud years in there. We have traded like all prospects and draft picks to chase a Cup every year, kinda surprised we're still competitive.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #654: August 21, 2020, 12:39:23 PM »

Rierden should go simply because he's pretty much a sack of potatoes back there. Frankly though the people who are like TROTZ OUT COACHED HIM are implying there was any grand strategy involved. Rierden hasn't had a clue for like 6-7 months. Pretty easy to beat the Caps when the 2nd and 3rd lines can't generate goals and the defense is a clusterfreak.

The Caps were lucky the season was shut down when it was. They started the season well, but they were clearly fading through the first two months of 2020. Had the season not stopped, they were likely to have found themselves competing for a wild-card spot just to make the postseason at all. They were about to be overtaken in the division standings by the Flyers, who were only one point behind them, and Pittsburgh were only three points further back. The stoppage happening when it did locked the Caps into the round-robin for the top four seeds.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #655: August 21, 2020, 01:56:22 PM »
There are millions of die-hard Leafs fans who have not seen a Cup in their lifetimes and probably never will.  Well, that isn't entirely true, they can always go to the HHOF and see The Cup (with other teams' names on it). 

I have now personally attended a Stanley Cup finals game and a World Series game, and my team ultimately won both.  So on balance, my sports fan angst is rather manageable  :P

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #656: August 21, 2020, 02:06:44 PM »
I have now personally attended a Stanley Cup finals game and a World Series game, and my team ultimately won both.  So on balance, my sports fan angst is rather manageable  :P

Amen, brother...amen.  I recall waving in your general direction during the Caps Game 3...

My mother is a long suffering yet unwavering White Sox fan.  It just so happened that the then 72 year old needed hip surgery in 2005, and found herself watching the Sox win the World Series from a hospital bed that October.  15 years later, I'm still hoping to be able to get her a ticket to see them play in another.  It would suck if this was their year...

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #657: August 21, 2020, 02:22:27 PM »
Amen, brother...amen.  I recall waving in your general direction during the Caps Game 3...

My mother is a long suffering yet unwavering White Sox fan.  It just so happened that the then 72 year old needed hip surgery in 2005, and found herself watching the Sox win the World Series from a hospital bed that October.  15 years later, I'm still hoping to be able to get her a ticket to see them play in another.  It would suck if this was their year...

My dad grew up in Brooklyn and was 10 years old when the Dodgers broke up.* He never really watched baseball much ever again. I think he would have gotten into the Nats' run last year, but he died in July (two days after the Expos throwback game). At least he saw the Caps win the Stanley Cup and UVA win the NCAA Basketball Tournament. I can't complain too much in terms of sports these past few years.

*See G. Korman, A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #658: August 21, 2020, 07:42:49 PM »

Tomorrow would be a good day to announce Todd's departure...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #659: August 21, 2020, 07:56:49 PM »
My dad grew up in Brooklyn and was 10 years old when the Dodgers broke up.* He never really watched baseball much ever again. I think he would have gotten into the Nats' run last year, but he died in July (two days after the Expos throwback game). At least he saw the Caps win the Stanley Cup and UVA win the NCAA Basketball Tournament. I can't complain too much in terms of sports these past few years.

*See G. Korman, A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag.

Same here. Dad would on occasion watch a Mets game but he never got over the dodgers leaving town.