Author Topic: Here comes the (Kie)BOOM  (Read 748 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Here comes the (Kie)BOOM
« Topic Start: April 09, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »
Kieboom went 4-for-5 with a double, a triple, a run scored, an RBI and a stolen base for Triple-A Fresno on Monday.  I think the success Soto had last year, and a rookie like Turner a few years prior, will make the Nats more willing to pull the trigger with Carter.  Dozier is struggling (although he always gets off to slow starts), and Difo is a utility backup and not a quality starting SS.  I don't think any work they see needed with the glove is going to hold back him getting his chance much longer.  A struggling guy on a 1-year deal and Wilmer Difo aren't much of a road block. 

Last year the record will show I advocated Soto was ready before he got the call.  I don't feel as strongly about Kieboom, but I think we're moving towards finding out what he can do sooner than later. 

Re: Here comes the (Kie)BOOM
« Reply #1: April 26, 2019, 01:54:14 PM »
Well...this thread took off.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: April 26, 2019, 01:56:55 PM »
Now that he's up here, we can talk. What are we expecting?

Honestly, the threshold is pretty low. He has to be better defensively or offensively than Difo. Not a high bar.

Hope he crushes it. I hope he has a Juan Soto-like rookie season. I just don't think that's going to happen. His range at short is pretty limited.

He reminds me of Jhonny Peralta

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #3: April 26, 2019, 02:05:35 PM »
What are the chances he plays second instead of Dozier?

« Reply #4: April 26, 2019, 02:07:38 PM »
It would be insane to think he'll be the next Juan Soto, although I was pumping up promoting Soto early last year before it happened and started the same kind of thread in early April.  I don't have near the same confidence in Kieboom being ready, but I think he is ready enough to certainly be better than Difo.  The dynamic with Turner on the IL and Dozier struggling at 2B to start the season works out well.  Over the next month or however long Turner is out, the Nats can evaluate how Kieboom is doing and if Dozier is showing signs of coming alive.  Dozier has had slow starts in the past only to catch fire in the 2nd half.  The hope is one of Kieboom or Dozier prove to be solid and you play them at 2B with Turner back at SS and Howie able to be a spot starter and top bench bat.  In the perfect scenario, Kieboom looks great, Dozier heats up, and then you have an extra guy when Turner returns.  I doubt we'd trade Kieboom, but maybe a streaking Dozier could be of interest to a contender with an extra bullpen arm to give us back.  And if the guy coming back is cheaper, we'd have some wiggle room to add at the deadline.

« Reply #5: April 26, 2019, 02:08:30 PM »
What are the chances he plays second instead of Dozier?

I just got into that in my previous post.  Until Turner returns, Kieboom just plays SS. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #6: April 26, 2019, 02:15:04 PM »
It would be insane to think he'll be the next Juan Soto, although I was pumping up promoting Soto early last year before it happened and started the same kind of thread in early April.  I don't have near the same confidence in Kieboom being ready, but I think he is ready enough to certainly be better than Difo.  The dynamic with Turner on the IL and Dozier struggling at 2B to start the season works out well.  Over the next month or however long Turner is out, the Nats can evaluate how Kieboom is doing and if Dozier is showing signs of coming alive.  Dozier has had slow starts in the past only to catch fire in the 2nd half.  The hope is one of Kieboom or Dozier prove to be solid and you play them at 2B with Turner back at SS and Howie able to be a spot starter and top bench bat.  In the perfect scenario, Kieboom looks great, Dozier heats up, and then you have an extra guy when Turner returns.  I doubt we'd trade Kieboom, but maybe a streaking Dozier could be of interest to a contender with an extra bullpen arm to give us back.  And if the guy coming back is cheaper, we'd have some wiggle room to add at the deadline.
Sounds bad, but I think Kieboom's ceiling is more like Soto's performance this season. Maybe higher average with less walks. Then again, Difo is awful at the plate, so that woudl be improvement.

Still not sure how Keiboom helps the bullpen, but what the hell, go all in. Or blow it off.

« Reply #7: April 26, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »
Sounds bad, but I think Kieboom's ceiling is more like Soto's performance this season. Maybe higher average with less walks. Then again, Difo is awful at the plate, so that woudl be improvement.

Still not sure how Keiboom helps the bullpen, but what the hell, go all in. Or blow it off.

Best case/hope is Kieboom is good and Dozier gets hot then when Turner returns we find a contender that needs a 2B and has some excess bullpen arms. 

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #8: April 26, 2019, 03:34:31 PM »
I had made this suggestion. Glad to see the Nationals have listened to me  :stir:

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #9: April 26, 2019, 03:58:25 PM »
So any chance he starts tonight?

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #10: April 26, 2019, 03:59:17 PM »
Disregard. Just saw the lineups.

« Reply #11: April 26, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »
So any chance he starts tonight?

I expect him to basically play everyday at SS.  They didn't call him up to platoon with Wilmer. 

Offline rileyn

« Reply #12: May 04, 2019, 07:29:08 AM »
Rizzo has to end this experiment and let him go back to Fresno.  He looks overmatched right now. 

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #13: May 04, 2019, 11:45:36 AM »
Who else can play shortstop besides Keboom and Difo?  You have to have two guys who can play short. So we're stuck with him for now.  And he's not going to stay up just to sit on the bench. So we're stuck with him at short for now.

Online Slateman

« Reply #14: May 04, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »
Who else can play shortstop besides Keboom and Difo?  You have to have two guys who can play short. So we're stuck with him for now.  And he's not going to stay up just to sit on the bench. So we're stuck with him at short for now.

Honestly,  hes worse than Difo at this point. Send him down, call up Noll, play Noll at third and platoon Howie and Dozier, with Howie playing first against LHP

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #15: May 04, 2019, 12:28:51 PM »
Honestly,  hes worse than Difo at this point. Send him down, call up Noll, play Noll at third and platoon Howie and Dozier, with Howie playing first against LHP

I'm not sure Noll would be better than Kieboom.  Last season they were teammates in both A and AA, and Noll wasn't even good in AA.  He's hitting .250 with not much power in the PCL.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #16: May 04, 2019, 01:48:03 PM »
Thread title should change to BOOM or bust

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #17: May 04, 2019, 02:14:36 PM »
Thread title should change to BOOM or bust

Kieboom or Kibosh?

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #18: May 04, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
Rizzo has to end this experiment and let him go back to Fresno.  He looks overmatched right now.
If you send him down who do you call up Stevenson? Noll? I dont think either of them do anything that we need right now. Leave him up until Turner gets back.

Online Slateman

« Reply #19: May 04, 2019, 03:05:11 PM »
I'm not sure Noll would be better than Kieboom.  Last season they were teammates in both A and AA, and Noll wasn't even good in AA.  He's hitting .250 with not much power in the PCL.

Keiboom isnt working. Try something else.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #20: May 04, 2019, 05:18:30 PM »
Kieboom is guessing and flailing up at the plate now. Way overmatched.