Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 104475 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #100: January 12, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »
I think it depends. If the cultural practice is causing harm to other bodies, then I would agree. But something like "peyote trances" that Native American tribes have been using in ceremonies for generations, I think should fully be allowed. Right now in the US, as with most stuff the government can't understand or knows will actually cause the general population to think and expand their views, it is illegal to ingest peyote on a recreational and even sometimes religious basis. There are few organizations that are still allowed to use peyote in traditional religious ceremony in the United States (funny, since our country uses that "freedom of religion" in it's propaganda). In fact, I can think of only one organization off the top of my head: the Native American Church.

Taking peyote is a religious and personal experience. It should be up to the individual and as long as it does no harm to anyone else, there shouldn't be a problem.

But if the cultural practice is stabbing animals to death, cutting off fins, or sacrificing babies, then yes, I think we and the particular culture in question should take a step back and look at what we/they are doing.

I pretty much agree with you.  Female circumcision, slavery, those have been justified on "cultural" grounds.  BS.

Online blue911

« Reply #101: January 12, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
Cultural practice is one of the lamest excuses ever invented to justify abhorent practices.  If it's wrong, it's wrong, no matter how long the atrocity has been committed.

I have doubts about "Shark Finning" or any such practice being cultural as opposed to economic. I would hazard a guess that eating shark fins came from eating the entire shark and discovering the fin as the best part i.e. the tenderloin. I would even go so far to venture that the entire animal was consumed for centuries after the discovery that the fin was the choicest part, ala the Bison tongue and Native Americans.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #102: January 12, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »
Uh, ever heard of Shark Fin soup on some oriental restaurant menus?

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #103: January 13, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »
Uh, ever heard of Shark Fin soup on some oriental restaurant menus?
It's supposed to quite the delicacy, like caviar. Thanks to "mass production" it's now available to average Joe Asian.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #104: March 17, 2009, 07:52:27 PM »
Found a handsome plethodon cinerus today under a rotting log.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #105: March 18, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »
Pretty!

I had a friend that used to lick all of the amphibians and toads he found. Apparently one made his tongue numb and another one tasted remarkably like garlic.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #106: March 18, 2009, 05:24:10 PM »
Pretty!

I had a friend that used to lick all of the amphibians and toads he found. Apparently one made his tongue numb and another one tasted remarkably like garlic.

:spaz:

Online blue911

« Reply #107: March 18, 2009, 05:28:34 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #108: March 18, 2009, 05:31:10 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #109: August 27, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »
This superb Crotalus viridis, a.k.a. the prairie rattlesnake crawled up into the "backyard" of our camp in Philmont, New Mexico.  It's almost certain she was looking for one of the dozens of "mini-bears*" that follow the campers everywhere they go, getting fat on spilled sunflower seeds, peanuts, granola chunks, etc.  This snake is obviously exceptionally well fed.

*mini-bears is Philmont slang for any of various squirrels, chipmunks, ground squirrels that scavange around camp areas.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #110: August 27, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
Looks like she may be gravid.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #111: August 27, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
Looks like she may be gravid.

Looking for fallen pickles perhaps?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #112: August 27, 2011, 05:47:57 PM »
Looking for fallen pickles perhaps?

Fallen vole pickles maybe. :)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #113: April 15, 2012, 08:03:02 AM »
I have a robin repeatedly attacking its reflection in a large window. I tried hanging a string on the outside, but that hasn't worked (I figure that will help flying birds, but not one getting territorial and attacking its reflection).

I can't put up a screen or anything, anyone have any tips that aren't too extreme that might stop it?

I figure the bird will stop on its own at some point, but it is mildly annoying and I feel bad for the idiot.

If anyone needs an update about the fox it has been staying away from humans lately but it was screaming like a banshee the other night.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #114: April 15, 2012, 08:05:19 AM »
If anyone needs an update about the fox it has been staying away from humans lately but it was screaming like a banshee the other night.

Probably just expressing its frustration with Ozzie Guillen having a headache.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #115: April 15, 2012, 08:21:11 AM »

:thumbs: I have fox envy.

Foxes scare away Robins, perhaps you can invite him to your next BBQ.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #116: April 15, 2012, 08:26:46 AM »
I have a robin repeatedly attacking its reflection in a large window. I tried hanging a string on the outside, but that hasn't worked (I figure that will help flying birds, but not one getting territorial and attacking its reflection).

I can't put up a screen or anything, anyone have any tips that aren't too extreme that might stop it?

Purchase a falcon.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #117: April 15, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »
 :lol:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #118: April 15, 2012, 10:38:08 AM »
Speaking of Falcons, will they scavenge?  I saw what I'm pretty sure was a Falcon (or some kind of bird-of-prey, anywho) landing on the shoulder of the interstate the other day as I was passing by, sure looked like it was going after something already-dead.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #119: April 15, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »

That's kinda cool, never really heard of Foxes making noises before.  What did it sound like other than a banshee? :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #120: April 15, 2012, 10:40:22 AM »
Speaking of Falcons, will they scavenge?  I saw what I'm pretty sure was a Falcon (or some kind of bird-of-prey, anywho) landing on the shoulder of the interstate the other day as I was passing by, sure looked like it was going after something already-dead.

I presume you mean a hawk.

Yes, of course they scavange, it's easier than killing something that is elusive and/or might fight back.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #121: April 15, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »
Sure, hawk, why not.  I'm no ornithologist.  I was actually hoping the apparent act of scavenging might help me narrow it down.  For example, why couldn't it have been a falcon?  Do they not scavenge?  Or are there no falcons in the Richmond metro area?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #122: April 15, 2012, 10:12:56 PM »
Sure, hawk, why not.  I'm no ornithologist.  I was actually hoping the apparent act of scavenging might help me narrow it down.  For example, why couldn't it have been a falcon?  Do they not scavenge?  Or are there no falcons in the Richmond metro area?

I think there are a few falcons that pass along the east coast during the winter months, but hawks are common and reside year round in the mid-atlantic and south.  99% you're noticing hawks, I'd guess.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #123: April 15, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »

I saw a hawk do this about a month ago. Swooped right in front of my car, grabbed something out of the median and flew off. It was pretty wild.

Regarding the Fox sound, it sounded like a woman being attacked and screaming. It's freaky. Our fox sounded a bit more human than these:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #124: April 15, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
They make a lot of noises, from yips to near screams. It can be a freaky, freaky noise. The dog goes nuts when they vocalize loudly. He hates foxes most.

Oh. And they stink. Musky as hell. Like weak skunk.

Here's a pic I took from the kitchen window (crappy shot, I know) of a healthy-looking vixen that likes to eat peanuts at the bird feeders. She's out there every afternoon. This is maybe 25 feet from the house.

That's kinda cool, never really heard of Foxes making noises before.  What did it sound like other than a banshee? :)