Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 104371 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1725: October 03, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
I’ve lived in cities or suburbs my whole life till now. Rural living is certainly different!

As Lisa and Oliver Douglas found out as well.  :mg:

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1726: October 03, 2019, 11:34:05 AM »
As Lisa and Oliver Douglas found out as well.  :mg:

So true:

Offline wj73

« Reply #1727: October 03, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »
Thinking about it, we do have a Sam Drucker type store near us.  :lol:

Offline wj73

« Reply #1728: March 29, 2020, 05:47:58 PM »
[Reviving this topic figuring there’ll be more wildlife happenings as the weather warms. If mods want to break it off to a new thread, fine with me]

Last year I posted how a local bear trashed our new fish pond we’d spent days digging.  :evil: It was mostly the top part of the liner that got ripped, so there was still about two feet of water left. It was too late in the season to do much about it then, so I just threw in a bubbler oxygenator and a small pond heater to help the fish overwinter.  Well, apparently that kept the remnants of the pond viable. I’ve only seen one of the fish so far, but we now have lots of Leopard Frog eggs and Spotted Salamander eggs in there. Should be interesting to see how many actually hatch and survive hungry predators. Never seen either type of egg before so this is kind of fun.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1729: March 30, 2020, 08:29:21 PM »
Checked the pond today. Both species are starting to hatch, so we’re seeing tiny frog tadpoles and salamander larvae. Pretty cool.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1730: March 30, 2020, 08:36:55 PM »
Checked the pond today. Both species are starting to hatch, so we’re seeing tiny frog tadpoles and salamander larvae. Pretty cool.

Very cool.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1731: March 31, 2020, 02:30:22 PM »
Time to get your hummingbird feeders ready. They’re on their way! A few sightings already in the area.

https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/hummingbird-migration-spring-2020-map.htm

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1732: April 02, 2020, 08:33:57 AM »

That is very cool.

Where I live, I am across the street from a construction area where they are building a new apartment complex and a new condo area. There is a retention pond so of course I see my fair share of Canadian Geese. I am sure I'll see some baby goslings soon as I see a couple areas where it looks like they are "nested up". Also saw a fox bounding around the field the other day which was a first for me so that was neat.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1733: April 03, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
First bear sighting of the season last evening. It was a small one, looking like a yearling that was just kicked out by mom. When we went out to chase it off, it’s first instinct was to climb a tree, which is very cub-like. Poor guy didn’t know what to do with these crazy primates yelling at him, but he finally took off.

I do love getting a glimpse of my ursine neighbors (except when they’re tearing up a pond). 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1734: April 03, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »
First bear sighting of the season last evening. It was a small one, looking like a yearling that was just kicked out by mom. When we went out to chase it off, it’s first instinct was to climb a tree, which is very cub-like. Poor guy didn’t know what to do with these crazy primates yelling at him, but he finally took off.

I do love getting a glimpse of my ursine neighbors (except when they’re tearing up a pond).

Is that what you're supposed to do when you see a bear? Try to chase it off?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1735: April 03, 2020, 02:22:31 PM »

No you do this.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1736: April 03, 2020, 02:33:54 PM »

Offline wj73

« Reply #1737: April 03, 2020, 04:47:25 PM »

If they are near the house, yes, if you can do it safely (like opening a window to yell). You don’t want them getting comfortable around human habitation. You want to keep them afraid of humans. Most of them are actually very shy and easily scared off.

I’ve never tried using a fly swatter.  :mg:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1738: April 03, 2020, 09:34:35 PM »
What area do you live ?

Offline wj73

« Reply #1739: April 03, 2020, 10:18:46 PM »
What area do you live ?

Catoctin Mountains in MD. We’re 3 miles from Cunningham Falls State Park and from Catoctin Mountain Park (where Camp David is). Very rural with lots of protected forest acreage all around the area so it’s a perfect wildlife habitat. We built a vacation cabin here several years ago, and moved up here permanently when we retired 2 years ago.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1740: April 12, 2020, 09:51:13 PM »

You're supposed to run in the opposite direction and see if you can outrun it.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1741: April 13, 2020, 03:35:49 PM »
You're supposed to run in the opposite direction and see if you can outrun it.

No need to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun the slowest member of your group.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1742: April 13, 2020, 06:40:53 PM »

No need to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun the slowest member of your group.

helps if you kick them in the knee first.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1743: April 13, 2020, 07:37:30 PM »
Which one? Bears have four knees.

helps if you kick them in the knee first.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1744: April 13, 2020, 07:40:14 PM »

:crackup:

Online imref

« Reply #1745: April 13, 2020, 09:04:02 PM »
Which one? Bears have four knees.

the other person you are with.

WRT to the bear, here's a good guide as to where to kick him:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1746: April 14, 2020, 08:51:09 PM »
the other person you are with.

WRT to the bear, here's a good guide as to where to kick him:

Damn, you beat me to it!  Bears are strong and deceptively quick, but can be a bit gullible as proved in this video.

Online imref

« Reply #1747: April 14, 2020, 09:21:15 PM »
Damn, you beat me to it!  Bears are strong and deceptively quick, but can be a bit gullible as proved in this video.

:hysterical:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1748: April 16, 2020, 06:19:11 PM »
I saw on Facebook a picnic table for squirrels so my husband made one and let’s just say I was very unproductive today watching this squirrel enjoy his lunch :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1749: April 17, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »
I saw on Facebook a picnic table for squirrels so my husband made one and let’s just say I was very unproductive today watching this squirrel enjoy his lunch :lol:

(Image removed from quote.)
Poor little fella. Had to keep his social distance from all the other squirrels.

Meanwhile, working at home I'm experiencing a parade of urban birds on my balcony.  I'm not sharp at posting photos, but a mourning dove, a crow, and at least a couple other species are regulars.  They watch me type at my computer and say, "C'mon dude, you really don't have any yummy suet or tasty white bread to leave here for  us? " I tell them it was PAssover and I didn't think they'd like the whole wheat matzah, but they are going to ask me what my excuse is now.

Last week, the condo chopped down the tree that branched by my window, so I think they are going "WTF?"