Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 104449 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #2025: January 31, 2023, 08:23:36 AM »
:hysterical:

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2026: January 31, 2023, 05:01:22 PM »
lol but for real, what the heck is going on at the zoo??? Some habitats have been intentionally cut but the animals weren't stolen, just not where they should be. A vulture was killed and now they're stooping to taking the animals?? How do they not have better security there??

Online imref

« Reply #2027: January 31, 2023, 05:33:01 PM »
saw a couple of bald eagles along the rappahanock over the weekend. it was the first time i've seen any up close in a while. One was young and still had a black head, the other was mature. I got to see one swoop down and fly low across the river looking for food. They are the most majestic creatures in the world IMHO.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2028: February 01, 2023, 08:47:11 AM »
So, there's apparently some breaking and entry at a zoo in Texas, and they stole a couple of rare monkeys.  They're described as having a bushy unibrow and long whiskers.  I don't know how rare that could be.  I saw a lot of them at the Q&A session with Rizzo, Scialabba, Davey, and Zim last Saturday.

The two monkeys that look like Nats season plan holders have turned up in an abandoned house. https://www.newser.com/story/330977/now-2-monkeys-have-likely-been-stolen-from-dallas-zoo.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_world_login  Supposedly they complaining about the return for Scherzer and Turner.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2029: February 14, 2023, 01:25:54 PM »

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2030: June 14, 2023, 07:46:02 PM »
So, after the orcas started attacking boats off the iberian coast, and they are now showing up around New England, does anyone else think they are kind of pissed off at humans for the rising ocean temperature and the carbonic acid levels so they've decided it's time to take over from the land dwellers?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2031: June 14, 2023, 08:30:33 PM »
So, after the orcas started attacking boats off the iberian coast, and they are now showing up around New England, does anyone else think they are kind of pissed off at humans for the rising ocean temperature and the carbonic acid levels so they've decided it's time to take over from the land dwellers?

Technically, whales evolved from land dwellers, so maybe they're just preparing to come home?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2032: June 15, 2023, 10:33:11 AM »
They'll be awfully disappointed

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #2033: June 15, 2023, 06:46:54 PM »
In recent months, the number of foxes (of the four-legged variety) seems to be really increasing around Fairfax, and not just in the more wooded and park-like areas. I was passed by one no more than a block from the intersection of Main Street and Chain Bridge Road a few evenings ago.

Online imref

« Reply #2034: June 15, 2023, 06:47:44 PM »
Probably has something to do with the increase in rabbits. Also seeing a ton of skinks.

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #2035: June 15, 2023, 07:55:10 PM »
I haven't seen any chipmunks recently. I wonder if they are a victim of the increase in predators.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #2036: June 16, 2023, 09:05:48 AM »
There are some plants we didn't recognize growing in the flowerbeds out front. A friend of ours who stopped by a few days ago saw them and asked us why we're growing pumpkins. We were a little taken aback and then we realized—my wife left the Halloween pumpkin (which we didn't carve) out on the stoop long after Halloween and eventually the squirrels and chipmunks ate it. They must have buried the seeds all over the place because there are several of the leaves that our friend identified as pumpkins. The contractor who just replaced our driveway and put down pavers alongside it (works for a landscaping company) recognized them as pumpkins as well. We decided to leave them to see what we get.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2038: August 09, 2023, 08:53:48 AM »
Probably has something to do with the increase in rabbits. Also seeing a ton of skinks.

I've seen 2 skinks at home (Oakton) this year, one outside and the other in my basement under the control of our cat.  While skinks may be exceptionally elusive in the great outdoors, they don't move well on carpeting. 

I had previously seen zero skinks since moving to Oakton in 2002 so my anecdotal observation is supportive of your own.

Regarding fox, they are said to have moved closer to humans seeking protection from coyotes.  I had heard coyotes were in our neighborhood before actually seeing one in April, a first here at home.  Fox sightings are damn near a daily occurrence, but lately the % showing mange has gone up a lot.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2041: September 29, 2023, 05:39:48 PM »
Alligator denied entry to keep  it safe from Phiilies fans?.... ;)
How do you like your gator?  Well done?  In a stew?