Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 80797 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 2022
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1950: November 22, 2021, 03:03:20 PM »
The Fairfax animal shelter just called. Fraidy was put down last night. She had neurological damage and was unable to stand.

I suppose under the circumstances being put down at the shelter is more humane than starving to death or something due to being unable to stand, but Ms1995hoo is still devastated.

yeah, better that then being the victim of a fox or starvation. Sorry hoo.

FWIW, there are lots of cats out there in need of homes, especially older cats, if you are so inclined.

Online HondoKillebrew

« Reply #1951: November 22, 2021, 05:56:45 PM »
The Fairfax animal shelter just called. Fraidy was put down last night. She had neurological damage and was unable to stand.

I suppose under the circumstances being put down at the shelter is more humane than starving to death or something due to being unable to stand, but Ms1995hoo is still devastated.

Sad to hear.  Being kind to animals is a great thing to do and good on you to have shown concern for and helped Fraidy. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1952: November 22, 2021, 07:39:53 PM »
Sorry to hear, hoo. Your kindness gave Fraidy more years than most ferals get. Doesn't do much for the sadness you and your wife are going through, buy you did right by the cat.

Offline English Natsie

• Have you spotted it yet?..
« Reply #1953: November 23, 2021, 09:50:49 AM »
Sad news indeed - but for the best, given the circumstances. The pain of loss is the price we pay for all that previous love and friendship... :(

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1954: November 28, 2021, 04:41:28 PM »
We just adopted a cat, an older cat who isn’t into climbing on things or heavy scratching. Found her on Nextdoor—a lady was helping an elderly friend who had to enter memory-assisted living and couldn’t keep the cat. We met the cat on Friday and knew pretty quickly she’d be a good match. She arrived at 1:00 this afternoon and stayed out and around during most of the Caps game. Didn’t even run too far when I bellowed "SCORE!!!" without thinking when Ovechkin scored.

The cat's name is Precious. No truth to the rumor that I now seek a second cat named Gollum.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1955: November 28, 2021, 05:03:43 PM »

Online dracnal

« Reply #1956: November 28, 2021, 07:03:15 PM »
We just adopted a cat, an older cat who isn’t into climbing on things or heavy scratching. Found her on Nextdoor—a lady was helping an elderly friend who had to enter memory-assisted living and couldn’t keep the cat. We met the cat on Friday and knew pretty quickly she’d be a good match. She arrived at 1:00 this afternoon and stayed out and around during most of the Caps game. Didn’t even run too far when I bellowed "SCORE!!!" without thinking when Ovechkin scored.

The cat's name is Precious. No truth to the rumor that I now seek a second cat named Gollum.

My neighbor had a pair of cats from the same litter that he named Precious and Smeagol.

Online GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1957: November 28, 2021, 07:29:19 PM »
Good work hoo.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1958: November 29, 2021, 08:15:19 AM »
The photo hosting service I used to use is no longer useful, so I'll post a picture when I decide on another method of hosting it and I find a chance. She seems content so far. We haven't let her upstairs yet; she's explored the two lower floors of the house and we'll decide when to let her upstairs (the main hazard up here is my home office, which is both a mess and full of cables and wires all over the place due to all the electronics). She's used both litterboxes and the scratching pad. When I came downstairs this morning, she was waiting and was ready to eat—quickly figured out I was getting her breakfast (after I scooped the box) and was rubbing against my legs quietly meowing. All good signs so far. I've never had a cat before (Fraidy was never really "our cat"), so this is a new experience, but Ms1995hoo had a couple of cats over the years long before we met.

I suppose I could undock my laptop and go downstairs and work at the kitchen table, but that'd be tricky because I have some heavy typing to do. I guess when my wife wakes up she can keep the cat company.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1959: November 29, 2021, 09:00:56 AM »
The photo hosting service I used to use is no longer useful, so I'll post a picture when I decide on another method of hosting it and I find a chance.

imgur

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1960: November 29, 2021, 10:56:41 AM »
 :clap:

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #1961: November 29, 2021, 11:02:24 AM »
Great news - well done  :D. If Precious isn't to be a house-cat (long-term) you should keep her indoors for the first 21 to 28 days - cats require this time to locate themselves in their new environment. If you let her wander too soon, she will either try to return 'home' or just get lost (unable to navigate her way back to your place).

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1962: November 29, 2021, 11:14:30 AM »
Great news - well done  :D. If Precious isn't to be a house-cat (long-term) you should keep her indoors for the first 21 to 28 days - cats require this time to locate themselves in their new environment. If you let her wander too soon, she will either try to return 'home' or just get lost (unable to navigate her way back to your place).

Oh, no, we have no intention of letting her outside, especially not during the winter. We do plan to get her a collar just as a precaution, though, and I want to have her microchip updated to list us. Even if we don't plan to let her wander, accidents happen. There's a vet in Kingstowne about a half-mile from us (well, a half-mile on foot, a mile by car) who specializes in cats, the Kingstowne Cat Clinic, so we will likely contact them. We have her veterinary records from the prior owner and it looks like she's probably overdue for a checkup, so we may take her in for a full appointment.

She was calmly sitting on the couch when I checked on her a while ago. When I came downstairs this morning, after I scooped the litter boxes (good sign, she's using both of them) she followed me into the kitchen and quickly figured out I was going to feed her, which made her very happy!

She didn't seem too interested in the F1 Qatar Grand Prix I was watching on the DVR last night.  :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1963: November 29, 2021, 11:55:14 AM »
As for the broadcast from Qatar, she'd be more interested if they pronounced it "Cat- Ar" and not "cutter."

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1964: November 29, 2021, 12:07:05 PM »
As for the broadcast from Qatar, she'd be more interested if they pronounced it "Cat- Ar" and not "cutter."

The former is pretty much how the British F1 commentary team said it.

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1965: November 29, 2021, 04:09:55 PM »

Excellent! No better way to honor one life gone then to rescue another. Fraidy was very lucky for you and Mrs. Shoo and Precious is ever moreso. I volunteered at a shelter and I can't tell you the number of poor animals who were given up because their owner was going into a retirement home and since older animals are so much harder to adopt out some were there sooooo long and were so confused, bless you and the misses for giving that cat a new home!

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #1966: November 29, 2021, 04:17:43 PM »
[quote author=1995hoo link=topic=3742.msg2236773#msg2236773 date=1638202470

She was calmly sitting on the couch when I checked on her a while ago. When I came downstairs this morning, after I scooped the litter boxes (good sign, she's using both of them) she followed me into the kitchen and quickly figured out I was going to feed her, which made her very happy!

[/quote]

You are clearly well informed - the general rule is one more litter tray than cats (so one cat, two trays...). Female cats tend to be better organized than males - she will probably settle down into using one tray for urine and the other for faeces. Trays should be somewhere relatively secluded - cats don't like an audience when toiletting. Covered (hooded) trays are not good for cleanliness of either trays or cats - because they prevent dug litter from spreading they might seem like a good idea, but are best avoided. For what it's worth, my litter of choice is Tigerino Sensitive Canada Style - very fine grind, easy to clean (scoop), good odour control and efficient clumping (so you only use what is needed without a lot of excess waste). Just anecdotal (from years of cat care) but females tend to dig much more enthusiastically in the trays than males - dustpan and brush at the ready as litter does track easily...

Now, as long as Precious doesn't turn out to be a Titans fan...(what was that score yesterday, Meows?... :hysterical:).

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1967: November 29, 2021, 08:28:22 PM »
For now we will stick with the litter she’s used to so as not to change anything too soon. Being re-homed is enough of a change! Ms1995hoo thinks she might want to try something less granular for exactly the reason you note (enthusiastic digging), but she conceded the validity of my thought of not changing things too quickly when she’s using the boxes.

We have to figure out a better location for the box here on the second floor. It’s in the powder room and takes up too much space in there, but there isn’t really anywhere else on this floor.