Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 78726 times)

Offline wj73

Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1900: July 15, 2021, 07:13:25 PM »
Cornell’s Merlin Bird ID app has just added a new feature - Sound ID. Just start the app, and it’ll pick up bird calls it hears, and tell you what birds you’re hearing. It’s absolutely uncanny. We’ve been using it for a week or so, and it’s very accurate. They’ve also just added a feature where you take a picture of the bird and it’ll tell you what kind of bird it is.

It’s a freebie app from Cornell U. Once you download the basic app, you need to download a geographic “pack” for birds in your area, or you can just download all North America.

The basic bird ID app was already excellent, but the addition of the picture feature and especially the sound ID knock it out of the park.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1901: July 16, 2021, 08:16:19 AM »
I wonder whether it would recognize a squirrel's distress or warning call. Our next-door neighbor once asked me what that "quacking sound" coming from somewhere in the trees was; she thought it was a bird and was astonished when I said it was a squirrel (and pointed out where he was).

There are two cardinals who frequent the cherry tree in our backyard and in the evenings we use their chirping as a sign to tell us when Fraidy Cat has arrived looking for food—when the chirping suddenly becomes near-constant, 99% of the time it means Fraidy is out there.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1902: July 16, 2021, 11:52:34 AM »
I always say "the squirrels are pissed" when I hear that sound.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1903: July 16, 2021, 01:50:00 PM »
I use BirdNET on my Android Phone. Also from the Cornell Institute of Ornithology.  Maybe it downloads your area based on phone location, because I don't have to do that step (but it knows).  It doesn't have that photo thing though... I'll have to try Merlin Bird ID.

Cornell’s Merlin Bird ID app has just added a new feature - Sound ID. Just start the app, and it’ll pick up bird calls it hears, and tell you what birds you’re hearing. It’s absolutely uncanny. We’ve been using it for a week or so, and it’s very accurate. They’ve also just added a feature where you take a picture of the bird and it’ll tell you what kind of bird it is.

It’s a freebie app from Cornell U. Once you download the basic app, you need to download a geographic “pack” for birds in your area, or you can just download all North America.

The basic bird ID app was already excellent, but the addition of the picture feature and especially the sound ID knock it out of the park.