Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 74666 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1850: August 26, 2020, 10:03:39 AM »
:spit:

I saw a picture of a moose lying in/on someone's above-ground pool...it (the pool) was definitely the worse for wear. 

When I lived in Coconut Grove (Miami), there was a raccoon family that would raid the cats' dishes (eating it with their hands like Ethiopian food) and then wash their paws in the pool.  It was hilarious. 

My daughter has caught raccoons washing their hands in their pool on her security camera, they are adorable :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1851: August 28, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »

While mowing the lower 40 this morning, a 4' long copperhead jumped out of the grass.  It made its way under our deck and eventually into a drain pipe for our gutter and downspouts, where it reconnoitered and plotted its next move.

We "enjoyed" several more close encounters together before it grew tired of me and slithered away.

Mrs. VaRK called it a black racer, and not being an amateur ornithologist myself, I'll have to believe her...but it was a just a copperhead to me.  All snakes are copperheads to me.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1852: August 28, 2020, 04:14:19 PM »
While mowing the lower 40 this morning, a 4' long copperhead jumped out of the grass.  It made its way under our deck and eventually into a drain pipe for our gutter and downspouts, where it reconnoitered and plotted its next move.

We "enjoyed" several more close encounters together before it grew tired of me and slithered away.

Mrs. VaRK called it a black racer, and not being an amateur ornithologist myself, I'll have to believe her...but it was a just a copperhead to me.  All snakes are copperheads to me.

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like a black mamba to me.  :ballbat:

Offline wj73

« Reply #1853: August 28, 2020, 04:27:51 PM »
What a beauty! And perfectly harmless. Good to have around if you have problems with nuisance rodents.

But still startling as hell when one pops out at you!  :shock:

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #1854: August 28, 2020, 04:34:18 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Did you have to go shopping for a new pair of shorts?

Online imref

• Redemption
« Reply #1855: August 28, 2020, 04:42:12 PM »
What a beauty! And perfectly harmless. Good to have around if you have problems with nuisance rodents.

yep - black rat snake.  We've had a few neighbors who have had them get into the house.  Not fun to remove.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1856: August 28, 2020, 04:48:10 PM »

"Satin" finish. blue/black belly. A Black Racer. I just "found" one of those in my wood pile.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1857: August 28, 2020, 05:11:51 PM »

We have no problem rodents...perhaps this is why...  ;)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1858: August 28, 2020, 05:12:21 PM »

There was a quick equipment check...  :hysterical:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1859: August 28, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
Those make great pets actually. I had a very closely related species (the Corn Snake) as a pet in elementary school.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1860: August 28, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »
I've always loved snakes.  Gave my mum fits when I was a little kid in Bangkok, where pretty much every snake other than the Burmese python (which can crush your neck) has deadly venom  :lol:

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1861: August 29, 2020, 01:19:21 AM »
We have no problem rodents...perhaps this is why...  ;)

No clue what it's like in your neck of the woods, but there are a lot of places in DC with serious rat issues. Rat Snakes can definitely help keep things under control, and as noted by others, they are totally harmless to people. If one feels threatened and tries to strike you, it's a bit less painful than a small dog stepping on your foot.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1864: August 29, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
I read "tap nuts" and instantly became a bit queazy...
Vanilla Nut Taps are popular at Dunkins. Ask for one next time Sully is with you