Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 103747 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1850: August 26, 2020, 10:03:39 AM »
:spit:

I saw a picture of a moose lying in/on someone's above-ground pool...it (the pool) was definitely the worse for wear. 

When I lived in Coconut Grove (Miami), there was a raccoon family that would raid the cats' dishes (eating it with their hands like Ethiopian food) and then wash their paws in the pool.  It was hilarious. 

My daughter has caught raccoons washing their hands in their pool on her security camera, they are adorable :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1851: August 28, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »

While mowing the lower 40 this morning, a 4' long copperhead jumped out of the grass.  It made its way under our deck and eventually into a drain pipe for our gutter and downspouts, where it reconnoitered and plotted its next move.

We "enjoyed" several more close encounters together before it grew tired of me and slithered away.

Mrs. VaRK called it a black racer, and not being an amateur ornithologist myself, I'll have to believe her...but it was a just a copperhead to me.  All snakes are copperheads to me.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1852: August 28, 2020, 04:14:19 PM »
While mowing the lower 40 this morning, a 4' long copperhead jumped out of the grass.  It made its way under our deck and eventually into a drain pipe for our gutter and downspouts, where it reconnoitered and plotted its next move.

We "enjoyed" several more close encounters together before it grew tired of me and slithered away.

Mrs. VaRK called it a black racer, and not being an amateur ornithologist myself, I'll have to believe her...but it was a just a copperhead to me.  All snakes are copperheads to me.

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like a black mamba to me.  :ballbat:

Offline wj73

« Reply #1853: August 28, 2020, 04:27:51 PM »
What a beauty! And perfectly harmless. Good to have around if you have problems with nuisance rodents.

But still startling as hell when one pops out at you!  :shock:

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #1854: August 28, 2020, 04:34:18 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Did you have to go shopping for a new pair of shorts?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1855: August 28, 2020, 04:42:12 PM »
What a beauty! And perfectly harmless. Good to have around if you have problems with nuisance rodents.

yep - black rat snake.  We've had a few neighbors who have had them get into the house.  Not fun to remove.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1856: August 28, 2020, 04:48:10 PM »

"Satin" finish. blue/black belly. A Black Racer. I just "found" one of those in my wood pile.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1857: August 28, 2020, 05:11:51 PM »

We have no problem rodents...perhaps this is why...  ;)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1858: August 28, 2020, 05:12:21 PM »

There was a quick equipment check...  :hysterical:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1859: August 28, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
Those make great pets actually. I had a very closely related species (the Corn Snake) as a pet in elementary school.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1860: August 28, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »
I've always loved snakes.  Gave my mum fits when I was a little kid in Bangkok, where pretty much every snake other than the Burmese python (which can crush your neck) has deadly venom  :lol:

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1861: August 29, 2020, 01:19:21 AM »
We have no problem rodents...perhaps this is why...  ;)

No clue what it's like in your neck of the woods, but there are a lot of places in DC with serious rat issues. Rat Snakes can definitely help keep things under control, and as noted by others, they are totally harmless to people. If one feels threatened and tries to strike you, it's a bit less painful than a small dog stepping on your foot.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1864: August 29, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
I read "tap nuts" and instantly became a bit queazy...
Vanilla Nut Taps are popular at Dunkins. Ask for one next time Sully is with you

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1866: March 09, 2021, 08:57:07 AM »

Offline imref

« Reply #1867: March 09, 2021, 10:12:41 AM »
Major was impeached and thrown out of the White House.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/08/politics/president-joe-biden-white-house-dogs/index.html

they are lucky he's not being put down. Awful story.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1868: March 09, 2021, 12:34:39 PM »
Major was impeached and thrown out of the White House.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/08/politics/president-joe-biden-white-house-dogs/index.html
This really sucks, for so many rescue dogs are seen as damaged goods and never given a chance. So bummed their old man Champ was relegated back to MD too, he surely is not going to see them on the regular anymore :(

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1869: March 09, 2021, 02:47:35 PM »
Majorgate!

“Champ and Major, the president and first lady’s dogs, are members of the family and still getting acclimated and accustomed to their new surroundings and new people,” Jen Psaki said during a briefing for reporters. “And on Monday, the first family’s younger dog, Major, was surprised by an unfamiliar person and reacted in a way that resulted in a minor injury to the individual, which was handled by the White House medical unit with no further treatment needed.”
She added that plans had already been in place for the dogs to be cared for by family friends as the first lady travels on the West Coast this week.

“She has a three-day trip this week, and the dogs will return to the White House soon,” Psaki said.

Asked by a reporter if Major could be euthanized as a result of the episode, Psaki said that would not be the case.

“Major Biden is a member of the family, so I can assure you of that,” Psaki said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/09/joe-biden-live-updates/#link-37PNS7H32NF45M5H6MCYQLQLVI

This gives us something to chew on while we wait to see if the story has bite.  Otherwise, it's sort of the tale wagging the dog.

Offline imref

« Reply #1870: March 09, 2021, 02:52:49 PM »
Majorgate!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/09/joe-biden-live-updates/#link-37PNS7H32NF45M5H6MCYQLQLVI

This gives us something to chew on while we wait to see if the story has bite.  Otherwise, it's sort of the tale wagging the dog.

:hysterical:

I heard Champ interviewed earlier, they asked him how it has been living in the WH, he said "rough"

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1871: March 09, 2021, 02:56:20 PM »
I have no clever post, I am just thrilled that they are not giving up on their pups :woop:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1872: March 09, 2021, 02:59:13 PM »
I have no clever post, I am just thrilled that they are not giving up on their pups :woop:

I don't know. Being exiled to Delaware offseason sucks. :mg:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1873: March 12, 2021, 02:44:07 PM »
There's probably some hostile-smelling spoor that even deep cleaning could not eradicate. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #1874: May 24, 2021, 09:02:43 AM »
Something odd is going on with our local hummingbirds. They arrived full force in April, as usual, and were sucking up copious amounts of nectar from our feeders, also as usual. This normally goes on all summer.

But, about 3 days ago, they all disappeared! We thought it was us, but the feeders were clean, the nectar was fresh, and our set up was the same as last year. Then my neighbor happened to mention that her hummers had disappeared too! Then, yesterday someone posted on NextDoor that the same thing had happened to them. They said they’d been feeding hummers for 25 years and this had never happened. Immediately several other people from all over northern Frederick County posted similar experiences, so it seems to be a pretty widespread issue out here in the wilds of rural Maryland.

Anyone else having the same issue??  Or are things fine with hummers near you?