Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 103771 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1800: June 11, 2020, 07:06:04 PM »

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1801: June 17, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »

One of our resident beggars.  He's so damned cute the he way sits there and folds his front legs. 

He's on the railing so he'll catch our eye, and looking down to the ground level below a window, knowing that that's where the food lands...and down the railing he goes...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1802: June 17, 2020, 03:40:34 PM »
One of our resident beggars.  He's so damned cute the he way sits there and folds his front legs. 

He's on the railing so he'll catch our eye, and looking down to the ground level below a window, knowing that that's where the food lands...and down the railing he goes...

(Image removed from quote.)
I take it this guy hasn't met your avian visitor who was eyeing your cat?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1803: June 17, 2020, 04:40:12 PM »
I take it this guy hasn't met your avian visitor who was eyeing your cat?

Not yet...hoping they maintain their social distance...

Offline wj73

« Reply #1804: June 17, 2020, 09:14:33 PM »
Had a hawk grab a male cardinal right in front of us a few months ago. The hawk took the cardinal about 20 yards into the woods to eat. All that was left was a few red feathers. It was sad because it was a friendly cardinal. When the feeder was empty, it would sit in a low branch outside our front door and chirp at us till we refilled the feeder. We’d named him “Ozzie” (of course).

But hawks gotta eat too.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1805: June 17, 2020, 09:31:43 PM »
Had a hawk grab a male cardinal right in front of us a few months ago. The hawk took the cardinal about 20 yards into the woods to eat. All that was left was a few red feathers. It was sad because it was a friendly cardinal. When the feeder was empty, it would sit in a low branch outside our front door and chirp at us till we refilled the feeder. We’d named him “Ozzie” (of course).

But hawks gotta eat too.
Somewhere Bob Carpenter is crying. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1806: June 17, 2020, 11:27:28 PM »
Somewhere Bob Carpenter is crying. 

:lmao:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1807: June 18, 2020, 03:10:23 PM »
So this little pigeon flew into our window at work at like 8:30 this morning, and is still there. I think he’s hurt but we’re on the 4th floor, I can’t figure out any way to help him :(

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1808: June 18, 2020, 03:52:29 PM »
So this little pigeon flew into our window at work at like 8:30 this morning, and is still there. I think he’s hurt but we’re on the 4th floor, I can’t figure out any way to help him :(

(Image removed from quote.)
nah, take it from me: he's looking for a bald guy, or mercedes convertible with the top down, or just simply a nice bowl of soup.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1809: June 18, 2020, 05:30:38 PM »
How’s he doing now?  My guess is that he probably has a little birdie concussion. If he’s upright, then probably the best thing is to let him sit there to rest and be still till his head clears. The ledge looks like a relatively safe place for him to sit - better than exposed on the ground.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1813: June 18, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »
How’s he doing now?  My guess is that he probably has a little birdie concussion. If he’s upright, then probably the best thing is to let him sit there to rest and be still till his head clears. The ledge looks like a relatively safe place for him to sit - better than exposed on the ground.

I had to leave early so I’m not sure if he flew away or not, praying I don’t see him peering at me through the window in the morning :pray:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1814: June 18, 2020, 08:33:24 PM »
Pigeons. Yuck. 

https://www.bphc.org/whatwedo/infectious-diseases/Infectious-Diseases-A-to-Z/Pages/Pigeons.aspx

I don’t want to watch one die a slow death every time I get tea or fill up my water cup :(

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1815: June 18, 2020, 08:46:47 PM »
I don’t want to watch one die a slow death every time I get tea or fill up my water cup :(
It’s Florida. I’m sure someone had a gun.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1816: June 28, 2020, 09:15:16 PM »
A raccoon was just outside on our deck. I chased it away after racin' ended on TV. A few minutes later, Fraidy Cat showed up looking for food. We're gonna have to wait while Fraidy eats. Can’t leave cat food out there in case the raccoon decides to make this a regular stop.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1817: June 30, 2020, 02:57:48 AM »
I was driving down George Mason Drive in Arlington at 2:30 AM (don't ask) and a mama fox and her kits crossed the street right in front of my car! They were crossing from Virginia Hospital Center to a front yard on the other side. One of the kits dithered in the middle of the street and mama went back and got him.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1818: June 30, 2020, 07:39:29 AM »
My mom says her neighbors were all abuzz yesterday because there were two bear sightings within about two miles of where she lives, both of them in the Mantua area of Fairfax County. Unclear what sorts of bears they were or whether it was the same bear in both sightings, though.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1819: July 01, 2020, 09:56:29 AM »
Yesterday was wildlife day out here in Soddy-Daisy. My current work set up has a generous view of the property. I saw a turkey, a groundhog, a couple rabbits and a deer with a spotted fawn all while at my desk.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1820: July 01, 2020, 10:03:55 AM »
Yesterday was wildlife day out here in Soddy-Daisy. My current work set up has a generous view of the property. I saw a turkey, a hedgehog, a couple rabbit and a deer with a spotted fawn all while at my desk.

I don't recall if you heard my conversation with Glenda at the M&G, but my father grew up in Soddy-Daisy.  He went to SD HS for one year before he joined the Merchant Marines in the summer of 1942...at the age of 14.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1821: July 01, 2020, 09:10:25 PM »
Give them the sunflower feeder they want. Nut hatches are a goddamned American treasures. AMERICAN TREASURES!!!

All that bullcrap millet and other crap in the big bag mixes just attracts invasive, non-native grackles and house sparrows anyway.

#MERCUH. #ThreeJamesonsIn

We stopped refilling the feeder for a while after a doe found it a very easy dinner.  She kept returning so we gave up for a while.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1822: July 02, 2020, 07:40:47 AM »
The raccoon was back again last night but failed to get any food—Fraidy Cat left and I went to bring in the bowl and cover the grill and there was the raccoon on the deck railing, but it raced away down the tree when I came outside. I wonder whether we might have to stop feeding the cat for a bit, but that seems cruel.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1823: July 02, 2020, 04:20:16 PM »
We stopped refilling the feeder for a while after a doe found it a very easy dinner.  She kept returning so we gave up for a while.

Ours are too high for the deer. Pain in the ass to fill, but whatever.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1824: July 03, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »
I don't recall if you heard my conversation with Glenda at the M&G, but my father grew up in Soddy-Daisy.  He went to SD HS for one year before he joined the Merchant Marines in the summer of 1942...at the age of 14.
I do remember that. She thought it was so cool that someone actually knew where she lived as opposed to resorting to "Just outside Chattanooga."  :lol:
This place is definitely growing on me. If the-half predictions are true that we may be moved to a fully remote work capacity I may find myself living out here permanently.