Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 106133 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1775: May 04, 2020, 03:35:42 PM »
I have some colleagues in Ireland who, as a general rule, tend to freak out about snakes.  At the same time, out of my being outdoors around the 'hood more than normal, I'm finding an abundance - at least 1 per week for the last 4 weeks.  Weeks 1-3 I found 4 Dekalb brown snakes, very common in my yard.  Yesterday I damn near stepped on a Northern watersnake, which has a plump body like a copperhead and can have similar markings, but in my case it had no markings of note, just plain brown. 

But I've been regaling the colleagues with my snakey adventures - so regular now I'm calling my videos or pictures "SOTW" - Snake of the week.   
:hysterical:

we have a lot of black snakes in our area.  Every so often one will find its way into a home in the neighborhood.

We've got a fox now living somewhere close, probably under a neighbors deck since we don't have much in the way of woods.  He turned up on the Ring Doorbell camera a few times last week in the middle of the night digging around our front porch, I assume either for the skinks that live under our stoop, or the rabbits in the area.