Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 103784 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1700: July 22, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
omgosh I could just eat them up, sooooo cute!!!!

uh, a momma bear with cubs would eat you up if you got too close  :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1701: July 22, 2019, 06:07:42 PM »

Fantastic!  Thanks...

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1702: July 27, 2019, 08:26:53 AM »
omgosh I could just eat them up, sooooo cute!!!!

That's a different thread.  :shock:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1705: July 28, 2019, 07:36:30 AM »
some photos of baby wild animals rescued in Arlington during the flood earlier this month

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/07/26/wild-animals-pets-rescued-during-the-flood/

hopefully they are not housing the baby squirrels and the baby hawk together...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1706: August 28, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »

You may recall the story about Tommie, the dog that some scumbag set on fire down here in Richmond earlier this year.  Well, Jyahshua Hill just plead guilty to killing Tommie and was sentenced to 5 years in prison (the maximum for animal cruelty) with no option for parole, then an additional 3 years of supervision by the court combined with a complete ban of owning any animal for life.

Now, maybe Tommie can rest in peace...while this jerk rots in the joint...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1707: August 28, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »
You may recall the story about Tommie, the dog that some scumbag set on fire down here in Richmond earlier this year.  Well, Jyahshua Hill just plead guilty to killing Tommie and was sentenced to 5 years in prison (the maximum for animal cruelty) with no option for parole, then an additional 3 years of supervision by the court combined with a complete ban of owning any animal for life.

Perhaps he won't rot long at all.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1708: August 28, 2019, 06:34:26 PM »
Perhaps he won't rot long at all.

Too much to hope for...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1709: August 28, 2019, 06:43:58 PM »

I don’t think he will last long. Even most criminals can’t stomach that.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1710: August 29, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »
Too much to hope for...
just drop him a cell with several similarly cruel cellmates, and, as the guard walks away, have him say, "Thanks for the info, stoolie!  Me and the other guards are going to be away for 3 hours, so you guys be cool, OK?"

Worked with Epstein.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1711: August 29, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »
Wrong place guys.  Get it back on topic.  Interesting pictures of animals.  No Law & Order.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1712: August 29, 2019, 11:57:14 AM »
Pacific elephant seal:

• babble on
« Reply #1713: September 24, 2019, 04:56:53 PM »
Not a picture and not backyard, but...

Walrus sinks Russian Navy boat in the Arctic Ocean 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/24/world/russian-navy-boat-walrus-attack-scli-intl/index.html

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #1714: September 24, 2019, 09:41:19 PM »
Goo goo g'joob!

Offline wj73

« Reply #1715: September 26, 2019, 07:16:12 PM »
Found this guy on the walkway this morning. Thought he was totally cool.

https://imgur.com/gallery/99N76ay
It’s a Spicebush Swallowtail butterfly caterpillar.

(Is the pic showing?  Not seeing it on my end.  I think I linked it correctly.)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1716: September 26, 2019, 07:40:37 PM »
Awesome. Next spring plant a pot of dill and a pot of parsley for the swallowtails. You'll have big yellow butterflies and black butterflies with bright blue spots (the females) all over.

We have a crap ton of common milk weed planted too. For the Monarchs.

(Image removed from quote.)

• babble on
« Reply #1717: September 26, 2019, 07:42:34 PM »
Looks like a reef fish got lost  :D

I have never seen one of those.  Stunning. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1718: September 26, 2019, 08:38:05 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Whoa, that's pretty cool.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1719: October 02, 2019, 07:49:58 PM »
We dug a fish pond in the yard in August. Just a small one - about 4’ x 7’. We stocked it with a few water lilies, some submerged plants, and a couple of snails and pond shubunkin fish. It was so pretty, with lily pads and water lily blooms. A few local frogs even moved in to complete the picture.

About a week ago, we came out and found the lily pots disturbed and most of the lily pads eaten. This has been going on almost every night since then. We figured it was raccoons. Nope. About an hour ago I looked out, and there was a black bear lounging in the pond, eating the plants. He or she was just sitting there munching, totally relaxed, like someone lounging in a hot tub. I couldn’t decide whether to be mad or laugh. It was totally annoying but totally cute at the same time.

No fish or snails were harmed, but the aquatic plants have taken a beating.  :|

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1720: October 02, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »
We dug a fish pond in the yard in August. Just a small one - about 4’ x 7’. We stocked it with a few water lilies, some submerged plants, and a couple of snails and pond shubunkin fish. It was so pretty, with lily pads and water lily blooms. A few local frogs even moved in to complete the picture.

About a week ago, we came out and found the lily pots disturbed and most of the lily pads eaten. This has been going on almost every night since then. We figured it was raccoons. Nope. About an hour ago I looked out, and there was a black bear lounging in the pond, eating the plants. He or she was just sitting there munching, totally relaxed, like someone lounging in a hot tub. I couldn’t decide whether to be mad or laugh. It was totally annoying but totally cute at the same time.

You're in their neighborhood.    :)      Take it all in.

• babble on
« Reply #1721: October 02, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »
 :lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1722: October 02, 2019, 08:48:24 PM »
Black bear are really just huge, danger-raccoons.

Pictures next time please.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1723: October 02, 2019, 08:53:48 PM »

Awesome story WJ.  Saltydad has had some amazing aquariums and ponds.  I miss ol' Salty.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1724: October 03, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
I’ve lived in cities or suburbs my whole life till now. Rural living is certainly different!