Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 106808 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1500: March 28, 2018, 08:31:18 AM »
This post might say more about you than it does about most birders. :D

I wonder if the Audubon guide has ass-pucker pictures to help identify species.    :shrug:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1501: March 28, 2018, 08:44:58 AM »
This post might say more about you than it does about most birders. :D

APP drawings, that's what we need. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #1502: March 28, 2018, 10:50:15 AM »
. . .  I wondered, can this possibly be the same bird?? It goes away for months at a time, does it really find my house again after all that time? I mean I know birds migrate for the seasons but do they keep coming back to the same spot? . . .

Absolutely birds will remember exact locations from year to year. At our old house, we had a hummingbird feeder we’d hang outside of the living room window during the summer. Hummers migrate from Mexico to here every spring, usually arriving in April. We usually tried to have the feeder up by April 1, but one year we forgot. I was in the living room when I heard a racket outside. I looked out and there was a male hummer, circling furiously outside the window and cussing me out in that chirpy hummer way. He remembered that there should be a feeder there and was furious that it wasn’t, and was letting me know of his unhappiness in no uncertain terms.  You haven’t lived till you’ve been cussed out by a hummingbird!

Needless to say I got the feeder out there in a hurry.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1503: March 28, 2018, 11:17:37 AM »
You took a picture of it's ass. How can we tell what it is?

What was I going to do, say hey Mr. Bird turn around I want a selfie with ya! haha I'm dying to catch him flying in and settling in for the night but so far he's doing it on the sly. 

Absolutely birds will remember exact locations from year to year. At our old house, we had a hummingbird feeder we’d hang outside of the living room window during the summer. Hummers migrate from Mexico to here every spring, usually arriving in April. We usually tried to have the feeder up by April 1, but one year we forgot. I was in the living room when I heard a racket outside. I looked out and there was a male hummer, circling furiously outside the window and cussing me out in that chirpy hummer way. He remembered that there should be a feeder there and was furious that it wasn’t, and was letting me know of his unhappiness in no uncertain terms.  You haven’t lived till you’ve been cussed out by a hummingbird!

Needless to say I got the feeder out there in a hurry.

lol that is awesome! and fascinating to think they remember year after year, I mean it's not like they travel road and can say ok at the corner of Spring and Main there's a lovely feeder and then if you take a Main to Spruce there's a nice covered porch, birds are really amazing. So cool to think it's been the same little bird the last few years! 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1504: April 07, 2018, 09:27:57 PM »
Interesting scene north of the Harbor Tunnel!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1505: April 08, 2018, 11:45:49 AM »
That eagle's probably injured.

Wife got a fancy Audubon bluebird house for Christmas.  We have them around the house so why not try?

I put it up 2 weekends ago on a pipe at the edge of our yard. One perched on it within 10 minutes of completing the installation.

Today we noticed a pair had moved in.  He was looking great perched atop providing security, while she was moving nesting materials in.  It's rare in my experience when a plan comes together like that.    :P

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1506: April 08, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »
Apparently the eagle was able to fly away on its own. The police had stopped because they assumed it was injured.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1507: April 08, 2018, 01:30:42 PM »
That eagle's probably injured.

Wife got a fancy Audubon bluebird house for Christmas.  We have them around the house so why not try?

I put it up 2 weekends ago on a pipe at the edge of our yard. One perched on it within 10 minutes of completing the installation.

Today we noticed a pair had moved in.  He was looking great perched atop providing security, while she was moving nesting materials in.  It's rare in my experience when a plan comes together like that.    :P

Lucky you!!  I’ve had bluebird houses up for 3 years with nothing. Mine are just the plain wooden ones - sounds like yours are fancier?

Offline wj73

« Reply #1508: April 08, 2018, 01:31:12 PM »
Apparently the eagle was able to fly away on its own. The police had stopped because they assumed it was injured.

Whew. Great pic.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1509: April 08, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »
I'm dealing with a mouse in my house/crawlspace. smh.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1510: April 08, 2018, 01:36:12 PM »

Perhaps you should consider using a mouse trap.   

:hysterical:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1511: April 08, 2018, 10:39:53 PM »
If it's only one, get some mouse killing poison and let the mouse kill itself

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1512: April 08, 2018, 11:36:07 PM »

Our first house had mice, my husband used peanut butter in the traps and those suckers were gone in no time!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1513: April 09, 2018, 08:45:52 AM »
Our first house had mice, my husband used peanut butter in the traps and those suckers were gone in no time!

Exactly.  You can probably get 3 traps for $2.  Make a family affair of it - each person baits a trap, places it, and give prizes for first, most, and biggest mouse(s).  If you don't catch a mouse for 2 consecutive days the contest is over. 

I do however advise care in the baiting of the traps, it is considered bad form to put the knife back in the peanut butter jar after having slathered a used trap. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1514: April 09, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »
Just get a cat.  My brother has a wonderful indoor cat that loves to show how much it appreciates the family by hunting down intruding rodents.  Leaves'em right by my brother's desk so he sees them at 4:30 in the AM. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1515: April 09, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »
Our cats eat them. Head to tail.  :spaz:
Just get a cat.  My brother has a wonderful indoor cat that loves to show how much it appreciates the family by hunting down intruding rodents.  Leaves'em right by my brother's desk so he sees them at 4:30 in the AM.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1516: April 09, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »
Exactly.  You can probably get 3 traps for $2.  Make a family affair of it - each person baits a trap, places it, and give prizes for first, most, and biggest mouse(s).  If you don't catch a mouse for 2 consecutive days the contest is over. 

Drove 'cross country in '88.    Stopped in a bar/restaurant near Devil's Tower (camped out nearby).    It was late.   I was the only one at the bar with the bartender/owner.    I heard a "whack".    Bartender/owner sez, "Got another one."    He steps to the end of the bar and picks up a trap with a mouse in it.    He said he has a tradition that who ever is at the bar when he catches a mouse, gets a free shot.    I drank well into the early morning.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1517: April 09, 2018, 12:37:14 PM »
Outdoor cats in my neighborhood are definitely helpful. I worked with an exterminator to coat my entire property in pest control (I had some issues with mosquitos and fleas in the backyard, too) and some commercial catch-and-release traps (they said if I catch anything to just call them and they'll come pick it up on my porch). It's been a week and the traps haven't caught crap and I've seen small signs every now and then of the mouse. Nothing consistent. I needed crawl space/foundation vent work done anyways (knew it when I bought it) so I just took care of that to get the vents all replaced so nothing is coming in. I've only seen signs of it under my kitchen sink and in my pantry (obviously), but it really isn't consistent. freaking annoying.

Need to kill this mouse, though. :stir: :whip:

My mom had a mouse issue last year and ended up killing like an entire family of them. Like 6 total :shock:

Offline wj73

« Reply #1518: April 09, 2018, 12:49:01 PM »
My problem is that I’m a bleeding heart humaniac and can’t bear to kill them. We don’t have a cat anymore and the dog couldn’t care less so there’s nothing to deter them. We’ve spent a small fortune on every kind of humane trap there is. Unfortunately they tend to not be terribly effective,  but I feel better.  :halo:

I live in a little patio home duplex, so I think my neighbor’s cat does some of the dirty work for me.

Amazingly enough in 11 years we have never had a mouse at our cabin. I should thank our builder.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1519: April 09, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »

My mom had a mouse issue last year and ended up killing like an entire family of them. Like 6 total :shock:

I've often seen them in 3's.  Maybe you have TWO families.    :P

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1520: April 09, 2018, 01:57:16 PM »
Most disgusting thing about mice? No bladders. They make wee, they pass wee.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1521: April 09, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »
like Freddie Freeman
Most disgusting thing about mice? No bladders. They make wee, they pass wee.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1522: April 09, 2018, 02:20:27 PM »

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1523: April 09, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »
like Freddie Freeman

:spit:  I have no idea why I find this so funny but I am cracking up :crackup:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1524: April 09, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »
No one throws in hilarious non-sequiturs like Ali.

:spit:  I have no idea why I find this so funny but I am cracking up :crackup: