Author Topic: NL East (2019)  (Read 43929 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline aspenbubba

Re: NL East (2019)
« Reply #51: April 11, 2019, 09:07:52 AM »
I’m thinking that the Phillies will go after Kimbrel and Keuchel after this last wake up call series against the Nats.

Online imref

« Reply #52: April 11, 2019, 09:17:34 AM »
apologies if this has been posted already, but here's Dave with a subtle dig at the marlins:

https://streamable.com/abh8z

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #53: April 11, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »
Good statement series against the Phillies.

Now beat up on the next 3 opponents Pitt, SF and MIA.

Still need to fix that bullpen, but the lineup and starting pitching is solid. Ride Rendon, Soto and Robles to success.

Don’t waste a good roster on cheap, garbage bullpen!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #54: April 11, 2019, 01:45:42 PM »
Phillies look unstoppable right now. For years, the Nats have had an offense that - on paper - looked like one of the best ever but has never actually materialized. The Phillies, at least for now, are getting to experience that unbeatable offense. It's early but they're a force to be reckoned with.
"Braves refuse to lose"

Offline whiffnet

« Reply #55: April 11, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »
The NL East is much-improved.  The Phillies obviously improved their lineup, although their pitching is still very questionable.  The Braves are counting heavily on a slew of talented but young and unproven starting pitchers.  I actually think they could revert back to 4th.  The Mets lineup is improved with Alonso, Cano, and McNeil added to the mix, and if they keep DeGrom, Thor, and Wheeler healthy...with a strong backend to the bullpen...they are a real threat.

The Marlins even have a nice stable of 4 young starting pitchers that look very promising.  They have a terrible lineup, but they aren't going to be easy to pile runs on.

Right now Atlanta is 3rd in starters ERA in the NL.

In the NL East they are 1st in team ERA, 1st in starters ERA, 2nd in bullpen ERA, 1st in BAa, 1st in quality starts.

This is despite the opening series against Philly.

Their best 2 starters, Folty and Soroka aren't even with the team yet. Soroka went perfect through 5 innings, 49 pitches, in his AAA rehab start. Fried is poised to have a break out year, in his 1st start he was perfect through 5.2, has a 0.00 ERA and 3 BBs through 2 starts. Their bullpen is a question mark, lots of young pitchers, but they have Minter and Vizcaino to choose between at closer.

And the middle of their line up is Josh Donaldson, Freddie Freeman, and Acuna...right now Swanson, who was their 8th hitter, moved up to 6, has 4 HRs and 15 RBIs. While they have Johan Camargo on the bench who can back up every position...a switch hitter with a career .790 OPS who hit 19 HRs last year in less than 500 ABs.

I wouldn't count on them finishing 4th.

The Mets rotation is scary, they have the best pitching....but they are the Mets, so its hard to take them seriously.

Sure the Phillies have a good line up, but they have no pitching, behind Nola/Arietta they've got nobody, no depth, no closer, an alright bullpen on paper but a horrible manager.

The division is between us and the braves.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #56: April 11, 2019, 06:29:51 PM »
Ran into my Barves neighbor.    Wanted to know where my flag was.    Told 'im, "It's an off day bro."    He's a good guy in spite of his affliction.

Offline Steve Rogers

« Reply #57: April 12, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »
Right now Atlanta is 3rd in starters ERA in the NL.

In the NL East they are 1st in team ERA, 1st in starters ERA, 2nd in bullpen ERA, 1st in BAa, 1st in quality starts.

This is despite the opening series against Philly.

Their best 2 starters, Folty and Soroka aren't even with the team yet. Soroka went perfect through 5 innings, 49 pitches, in his AAA rehab start. Fried is poised to have a break out year, in his 1st start he was perfect through 5.2, has a 0.00 ERA and 3 BBs through 2 starts. Their bullpen is a question mark, lots of young pitchers, but they have Minter and Vizcaino to choose between at closer.

And the middle of their line up is Josh Donaldson, Freddie Freeman, and Acuna...right now Swanson, who was their 8th hitter, moved up to 6, has 4 HRs and 15 RBIs. While they have Johan Camargo on the bench who can back up every position...a switch hitter with a career .790 OPS who hit 19 HRs last year in less than 500 ABs.

I wouldn't count on them finishing 4th.

The Mets rotation is scary, they have the best pitching....but they are the Mets, so its hard to take them seriously.

Sure the Phillies have a good line up, but they have no pitching, behind Nola/Arietta they've got nobody, no depth, no closer, an alright bullpen on paper but a horrible manager.

The division is between us and the braves.

They are the Mets so.....World Series 2015. Nationals...World Series.....hmmmmm.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #58: April 12, 2019, 10:06:57 AM »
Honestly, the Mets look really good so far. Their rotation is excellent, the bullpen is solid but needs improvement. The lineup, though, is deep. Alonso is a game-changer.

The Braves' rotation isn't that great, but they are a real good team. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the Mets & Braves than Philly. The Phillies' rotation is the worst of the 4 and their bullpen is as bad as ours. Can't mash your way through six months. 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #59: April 12, 2019, 10:52:07 AM »
All 4 teams are good with flaws.  I'm sure the Mets will have a couple starting pitchers on the 60 day DL soon enough.   I'd love to see a down to the wire pennant race where every divisional game has a playoff vibe.

Offline whiffnet

« Reply #60: April 14, 2019, 12:10:31 PM »
Honestly, the Mets look really good so far. Their rotation is excellent, the bullpen is solid but needs improvement. The lineup, though, is deep. Alonso is a game-changer.

The Braves' rotation isn't that great, but they are a real good team. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the Mets & Braves than Philly. The Phillies' rotation is the worst of the 4 and their bullpen is as bad as ours. Can't mash your way through six months.

I think this sentiment is being influenced by a lack of familiarity and the fact that they started off the year with injuries. They were forced to use Wilson/Wright a year early, but make no mistake Wright is a potential Ace, just not in 2019.

Toussaint just rejoined the team, while Soroka and Foltynewicz will be back before May, they are game changers. And more importantly it is deep, everyone deals with injuries at some point, and the Braves swill be able to handle them better than anyone else, they will be able to shuffle the line up to get the best match ups, skip anyone who isn't performing, and give everyone extra rest to keep them fresh.

Look at last nights game against the Mets. Newcomb gave up 4 runs in the 2nd, they were able to pull him and insert Toussaint who then went on to go 6 IP with 7 SO and 0 ER. Do you know any other team who has pitchers like this just sitting around waiting to be used? No they don't have a Syndergaard or deGrom at this point, but Fried, Toussaint, Soroka, Foltynewicz; Fried/Soroka have true #1 potential and they all have a #2 floor.

Online imref

« Reply #61: April 15, 2019, 04:40:50 PM »
David Robertson to the IL

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #62: April 15, 2019, 04:45:06 PM »
I think this sentiment is being influenced by a lack of familiarity and the fact that they started off the year with injuries. They were forced to use Wilson/Wright a year early, but make no mistake Wright is a potential Ace, just not in 2019.

Toussaint just rejoined the team, while Soroka and Foltynewicz will be back before May, they are game changers. And more importantly it is deep, everyone deals with injuries at some point, and the Braves swill be able to handle them better than anyone else, they will be able to shuffle the line up to get the best match ups, skip anyone who isn't performing, and give everyone extra rest to keep them fresh.

Look at last nights game against the Mets. Newcomb gave up 4 runs in the 2nd, they were able to pull him and insert Toussaint who then went on to go 6 IP with 7 SO and 0 ER. Do you know any other team who has pitchers like this just sitting around waiting to be used? No they don't have a Syndergaard or deGrom at this point, but Fried, Toussaint, Soroka, Foltynewicz; Fried/Soroka have true #1 potential and they all have a #2 floor.

The Braves have a bunch of young arms with upside, but none of them look like they're close to elite now.  Folty was a mirage last year...very lucky.  He's solid, but not an Ace.  Teheran and Gausman are very mediocre vets.  Their rotation is not good in the present.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #63: April 15, 2019, 05:02:34 PM »
Soroka is a 55 in FG this year, Toussaint and Fried were 50s last year

Kyle Wright and Luis Gohara where the Braves 55s who were "ready last year", and where are they now?

TINSTAAPP. You're literally a 0 in my book until you can do it for 180 innings in the major leagues. Braves can have 10 of these guys and I still won't believe more than 1.5 will pan out. Mets have have 5 aces for like half a decade and can't seem to keep more than 1 healthy and 2-3 half healthy every season.

Offline EXILAR

« Reply #64: April 16, 2019, 05:31:17 AM »

Sorry but I don't buy the hype right now. Mets started out hot last season but didn't make the playoffs. Too early in the season to figure out the Mets

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #65: April 16, 2019, 07:48:09 AM »
Sorry but I don't buy the hype right now. Mets started out hot last season but didn't make the playoffs. Too early in the season to figure out the Mets

To say they didn't make the playoffs in an understatement.  They finished 8 games below .500

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #66: April 16, 2019, 09:31:37 AM »
You don't have to be sorry.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: April 16, 2019, 09:32:54 AM »
To say they didn't make the playoffs in an understatement.  They finished 8 games below .500
The Mets have a much improved lineup this year. And the only lights out closer in the division. Yes. Diaz is better than Doolittle. If their starting pitching stays healthy they will be in the race.

If everything is just based on last year the Barves will win.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #68: April 16, 2019, 09:41:31 AM »
The Mets have a much improved lineup this year. And the only lights out closer in the division. Yes. Diaz is better than Doolittle. If their starting pitching stays healthy they will be in the race.

If everything is just based on last year the Barves will win.
Anyone who thinks the Phillies are going to hold tight is crazy.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: April 16, 2019, 09:43:52 AM »
Anyone who thinks the Phillies are going to hold tight is crazy.
Correct. They have money.

Atlanta has the best team ERA so far. Phils are 4.72. Nats is 5.00. Mets are actually last. It’s early.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #70: April 16, 2019, 09:51:00 AM »
Correct. They have money.

Atlanta has the best team ERA so far. Phils are 4.72. Nats is 5.00. Mets are actually last. It’s early.
They have money and decent enough prospects. I'm surprised they haven't already grabbed Keuchel. I'm guessing, at this point, they may as well wait until after he can be signed without coughing up a draft pick .

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #71: April 16, 2019, 12:10:38 PM »
What's up with Nola? Phils could be in trouble if he doesn't straighten out.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #72: April 16, 2019, 02:47:54 PM »
What's up with Nola? Phils could be in trouble if he doesn't straighten out.

Nola will be good.  Just struggling with commanding his off-speed because he didn't pitch much in ST.  Seeing that a lot with guys that didn't pitch much in ST.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #73: April 17, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »
NL East is like a vast wasteland of pitching.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #74: April 17, 2019, 10:12:32 AM »
Austen Williams is the newest member of the Infinity ERA club.  Awesome times.