Author Topic: NL East (2019)  (Read 44927 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: NL East (2019)
« Reply #325: June 17, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »
a mix of white trash or southern frat bros who work for their dad's company. atlanta!
So white trash and white trash with money

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #326: June 17, 2019, 04:13:33 PM »
I was in Atlanta a couple months ago and the overall impression of that city is that it's a collection of humans living in close proximity but everyone hates everyone else so they refuse to have a city-wide identity or inter-mingle in any way (look up the slang for MARTA). The fact that a bunch of bored, corrupt city councilmen spent all their county's money on the new stadium just so they wouldn't have to be around people different than them says it all.

Atlanta is a bigger Charlotte. It is a fact in my mind.

Offline elbuffalo

« Reply #327: June 17, 2019, 04:28:27 PM »
Yes, it's a total coincidence that as soon as Brian McCann returns they start getting into pissing matches with other teams over "unwritten rules" on a regular basis...

And their fans are idiots.  Just because they're not violent idiots (and thus manage to get above the Phillies) does not mean they're first class.   That's one of the tough things about being a fan of a team in this division, having three opposing fanbases composed of massive douchebags.  It's the only division in baseball with that, but then again having New York and Philly teams in it gets you 2/3 of the way there to start.

And you like our fanbase? I can't think of a more soulless fanbase than our own. The number of idiots who show up to a game with a book or laptop makes me irate. You can find terrible things to say about every fanbase.

Online Slateman

« Reply #328: June 17, 2019, 04:48:35 PM »
And you like our fanbase? I can't think of a more soulless fanbase than our own. The number of idiots who show up to a game with a book or laptop makes me irate. You can find terrible things to say about every fanbase.
I'll take soulless fan base of DC than the absolute human garbage that comprises the Atlanta fan base. Sure, DC has douches who show up in ties. You know what they dont do? Chuck bottles onto the field because they didnt like a call.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #329: June 17, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »

You sure know how to make friends when you enter a room, don’t you? :roll:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #330: June 17, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »
You sure know how to make friends when you enter a room, don’t you? :roll:

He's probably been reading WNFF to form his opinions about fanbases.      :)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #331: June 17, 2019, 05:23:44 PM »
We may not lead the league in baseball knowledge or interest as a fanbase but I'd like to see anyone else try to get paperwork fast-tracked through Homeland Security or permits approved quickly through the Department of Transportation.

Take THAT, Boston!

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #332: June 17, 2019, 05:23:56 PM »
I can't think of a more soulless fanbase
i do believe it is our team that is soulless

Offline mitlen

« Reply #333: June 17, 2019, 05:26:09 PM »

No, that would be lifeless.

Online Slateman

« Reply #334: June 17, 2019, 05:27:45 PM »
No, that would be lifeless.
If it's dead, can it have a soul?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #335: June 17, 2019, 05:43:25 PM »
If it's dead, can it have a soul?

A soul is dogma defined.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #336: June 17, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »
Our fan base just lacks passion, which is natural for a vibrant area that has thousands of other things going on.  It may take another generation (or a World Series title) but it will come.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #337: June 17, 2019, 09:08:31 PM »

Not especially, but I'd take our fanbase over the others in the division.  That's not a huge compliment, but "least bad" is a measure with unfortunate validity. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #338: June 17, 2019, 10:47:10 PM »
9 games back.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #339: June 17, 2019, 10:59:03 PM »
Our fan base just lacks passion, which is natural for a vibrant area that has thousands of other things going on.  It may take another generation (or a World Series title) but it will come.

This is a bit of a stereotype. All the Nats need to do is have one playoff run and you will see the passion of the fans.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #340: June 17, 2019, 11:26:26 PM »
This is a bit of a stereotype. All the Nats need to do is have one playoff run and you will see the passion of the fans.

The Skins already showed by selling out when they were losers that there's enough of a local fanbase when there's a hint of hope. The fans have showed up for the Nats plenty, but when the regional population about triples in a generation with imports from elsewhere who can't make the same bank back home, it's not going to look monolithic in the stands as it may elsewhere.

Mostly thoug for the playoff runs, the fans have represented, though like the Caps, it hasn't been easy. Was at the 18-inning game, and the amount of people who stayed even as the weather turned -- and was nearly all Nats fans -- was as good as it gets.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #341: June 18, 2019, 06:45:38 AM »
I heard yesterday, the average baseball fan is 55 year old.  55 year olds in this area didn't grow up going to Nationals games, and they are not passing along that tradition to their children.  We lost 2 generations of fans by not having a team .  We have no real base.  I'm 49, so I grew up going to Orioles games. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #342: June 18, 2019, 07:09:03 AM »
I heard yesterday, the average baseball fan is 55 year old.  55 year olds in this area didn't grow up going to Nationals games, and they are not passing along that tradition to their children.  We lost 2 generations of fans by not having a team .  We have no real base.  I'm 49, so I grew up going to Orioles games. 
Baseball as a whole is dying.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #343: June 18, 2019, 07:21:02 AM »
Correct. Also this season is the first real test for Nats fans. Sure there were some bad teams in 2006-3010 but the novelty of a new team and then a new stadium was there. And the excitement of drafting Strasburg and Harper. Now it’s a .500 team at best and the farm system is in bad shape. Best hitter about to leave.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #344: June 18, 2019, 08:26:51 AM »
Little league is pretty strong here- it seems to be the sport of choice for boys in my neighborhood now that pop warner is dead. Whether or not that translates to fans attending games is another question

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #345: June 18, 2019, 09:31:19 AM »
Little league is pretty strong here- it seems to be the sport of choice for boys in my neighborhood now that pop warner is dead. Whether or not that translates to fans attending games is another question
Football is definitely dying in the Richmond suburbs too.  Baseball/LAX/Soccer seem equally popular in the wealthier suburbs.  Baseball definitely is the strongest in the more rural/less wealthy/white suburbs and almost non existant in the predominantly black areas where basketball and football are still king.  Lack of diversity for whatever reason is limiting their market.   I do think baseball has always skewed older though, and has had a pretty steady following with little dips and rises as other trends have come and gone.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #346: June 18, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »
Football is definitely dying in the Richmond suburbs too.

I don't know how the NL East thread got redirected to baseball and football are dying but to your point, how can a parent of a young boy could let them play football when we have all this evidence of concussions? That's akin to spoon feeding them Roundup or buying them smokes.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #347: June 18, 2019, 11:32:24 AM »
I was in Atlanta a couple months ago and the overall impression of that city is that it's a collection of humans living in close proximity but everyone hates everyone else so they refuse to have a city-wide identity or inter-mingle in any way (look up the slang for MARTA). The fact that a bunch of bored, corrupt city councilmen spent all their county's money on the new stadium just so they wouldn't have to be around people different than them says it all.

Atlanta is a bigger Charlotte. It is a fact in my mind.

Cobb County continually votes down any attempt to bring the MARTA into the area surrounding Smyrna/Vinings because the overall consensus is that they don't want easy access to their little slice of suburban bliss for people who live in certain other parts of the area.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #348: June 18, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »
Cobb County continually votes down any attempt to bring the MARTA into the area surrounding Smyrna/Vinings because the overall consensus is that they don't want easy access to their little slice of suburban bliss for people who live in certain other parts of the area.

Kind of like Georgetown  ....   :couch:      Oh, there's an historical re-write of why METRO never stopped in GT.     

http://www.welovedc.com/2009/10/13/dc-mythbusting-georgetown-metro-stop/

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #349: June 19, 2019, 03:59:40 PM »
Nice to see Corbin bounce back.  Hopefully Max can secure the double header sweep tonight against Arrieta.