Author Topic: The 2019 Blow It Up Thread  (Read 22105 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: The 2019 Blow It Up Thread
« Reply #50: April 01, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »
Harper could have slid to first and DH in a couple years if they didn't want to trade Eaton. We replaced him with Corbin and catchers.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #51: April 01, 2019, 09:15:59 PM »
Harper could have slid to first and DH in a couple years if they didn't want to trade Eaton. We replaced him with Corbin and catchers.

The Lerner's didn't want him back...

...can't say that I blame them...

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #52: April 01, 2019, 09:39:08 PM »
Window is slammed shut on this team. All offseason and ST we heard about how this team was going to work on fundamentals. Really shows. Cant hit the cutoff, cant field flyball, cant catch and tag, and cant make contact. While their manager was taking it on the chin, the players couldn't give two craps. They dont have an edge. No chip on their shoulder.

Its time to blow it up. Everything. This franchise needs a revamp. Fire the minor league coaches for not being able to teach the basics. Fire Rizzo. He clearly cant hire people.

Trade Rendon. He ain't signing long term and I'm starting to believe his attitude is part of the problem. Get what you can to prep for the future. Along that line, Gomes and Suzuki are expendable. So is Doolittle.

Tell Zim to retire. Move Soto to first. Play Noll everyday. Send Robles back to Double A.

I assume this is a tongue-in-cheek provocative statement, although I agree that we may have to brace ourselves for a long season.  There's a reasonable chance that this team can compete in the NL East.  BUT if things turn ugly by mid-June, THEN I don't want to see any foot dragging -- get ahead of the slaughter!  I noticed last year that many of you were holding out until the bitter end.  That myopic thinking by the fans and the front office needs to be adjusted.         

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #53: April 01, 2019, 10:38:58 PM »

This thread is the best April Fools prank ever pulled by Slateman!   
                                                                                   :worship: :koolaid:

Yes, let's go back to losing 90-100 games per year, so we can draft the next...Bryce Harper!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: April 01, 2019, 10:51:11 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This thread is the best April Fools prank ever pulled by Slateman!   
                                                                                   :worship: :koolaid:

Yes, let's go back to losing 90-100 games per year, so we can draft the next...Bryce Harper!

We dont have to draft. But the team needs to be revamped and flipped.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #55: April 02, 2019, 09:35:12 AM »
Harper could have slid to first and DH in a couple years
Point is, he cannot slide to first this year (and DH will never be an option) because the team is unwilling, politically, to bench Zimmerman.  There is nowhere in the outfield for him.  You cannot trade any of Robles, Soto, or Eaton, because you won't get nearly their value in trade.  You cannot sit any of the three either.  Harper is a man without a position as far as the Nats are concerned. 

If the team had been willing to bench Zimmerman, I think Harper would still be a Nat.

Online Slateman

« Reply #56: April 02, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »
Point is, he cannot slide to first this year (and DH will never be an option) because the team is unwilling, politically, to bench Zimmerman.  There is nowhere in the outfield for him.  You cannot trade any of Robles, Soto, or Eaton, because you won't get nearly their value in trade.  You cannot sit any of the three either.  Harper is a man without a position as far as the Nats are concerned. 

If the team had been willing to bench Zimmerman, I think Harper would still be a Nat.
You can trade Eaton if you sign Harper long term. And Harper is a man without a position in zero teams in baseball.

Also, in no world does Robles get to start over Harper.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #57: April 02, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »
Also, in no world does Robles get to start over Harper.

For better or worse he does now.  Let it go.

Online Slateman

« Reply #58: April 02, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »
For better or worse he does now.  Let it go.
Oh Harper is on the team? Oh okay, I must of have missed that memo.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #59: April 02, 2019, 12:57:09 PM »
Oh Harper is on the team? Oh okay, I must of have missed that memo.

What are you dense? :crackup:

Online Slateman

« Reply #60: April 02, 2019, 02:47:30 PM »
What are you dense? :crackup:
You can only start over someone that's on the roster. If Harper took the deal he was offered by the Lerners, do you think Robles is starting and Harper is riding the pine? Nope.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #61: April 02, 2019, 02:55:19 PM »
You can only start over someone that's on the roster. If Harper took the deal he was offered by the Lerners, do you think Robles is starting and Harper is riding the pine? Nope.

If Harper took the deal then we trade Eaton. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #62: April 02, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »
If Harper took the deal then we trade Eaton. 

I agree. But there is no way in hell Robles would start over Harper.

Online imref

« Reply #63: April 02, 2019, 04:18:16 PM »
I agree. But there is no way in hell Robles would start over Harper.

Nope.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #64: April 02, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »
Is a MLB manager responsible for teaching players fundamentals?  I think of a MLB manager as mainly making lineup decisons and in-game strategy decisons.  You can insist on whatever drills during the season, give pointers here and there, but a MLB manager isn't "developing" players like, say, a college basketball coach might be developing a Freshman through practices and individuals.  MLB players should be schooled on the fundamentals in the minors. 

« Reply #65: April 02, 2019, 04:35:39 PM »
The OP is an obvious troll job, but man it's amazing how often (not just talking about on here) you see Baseball fans who overreact to every little thing 1 series into a 162-game season. 

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #66: April 02, 2019, 04:45:31 PM »
  MLB players should be schooled on the fundamentals in the minors.
Schooled, yes.  But most fundamentals require practice. An MLB manager is responsible for ensuring that they get the work they need.

« Reply #67: April 02, 2019, 04:58:36 PM »
Schooled, yes.  But most fundamentals require practice. An MLB manager is responsible for ensuring that they get the work they need.

So you do all the drills in ST, as he said they did...then the first few games mistakes are made.  Now what?  And isn't the lion's share of the mistakes against the Mets from Robles, a 21 year old who you expect it from?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #68: April 02, 2019, 05:03:39 PM »
So you do all the drills in ST, as he said they did...then the first few games mistakes are made.  Now what?  And isn't the lion's share of the mistakes against the Mets from Robles, a 21 year old who you expect it from?

Robles gets more of a leash from me. It's a new year, it's the opening series, he's a starter on an MLB team that's expected to go to the postseason... that's got to really amp up a lot of things - adrenaline, anxiety, etc. That'll get you some ++ moves and some -- ones. Turner and Rendon's fielding was a bit tougher to excuse, but crap happens.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #69: April 02, 2019, 05:07:44 PM »
Well they're supposed to run these drills from time to time during the season and especially when they start making mistakes.  In the old days they did. Now, who knows?  Anyway I'm not complaining about fundamentals  (not yet anyway) and I noted earlier that Robles has been responsible for most, and I'm not concerned about him. (Though Soto did n miss one cutoff, and that concerns me.  And it was a play where the announcer said he thought they could have gotten the out at home if he had hit the cutoff man.)

Online Slateman

« Reply #70: April 02, 2019, 05:08:35 PM »
Is a MLB manager responsible for teaching players fundamentals?  I think of a MLB manager as mainly making lineup decisons and in-game strategy decisons.  You can insist on whatever drills during the season, give pointers here and there, but a MLB manager isn't "developing" players like, say, a college basketball coach might be developing a Freshman through practices and individuals.  MLB players should be schooled on the fundamentals in the minors. 

Which is why I'm talking about an organizational gutting

Online imref

« Reply #71: April 02, 2019, 06:03:16 PM »
Surprised nobody has referenced this yet:

Online Slateman

« Reply #72: April 02, 2019, 09:03:22 PM »
If you needed any more evidence that this team is a bunch of beta cucks, see this game

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #73: April 02, 2019, 09:26:04 PM »
If you needed any more evidence that this team is a bunch of beta cucks, see this game

seek help

Online Slateman

« Reply #74: April 02, 2019, 10:23:55 PM »
Is anyone really questioning this? Does anyone actually  believe Martinez can right this ship? That Rizzo can fix it?