Author Topic: Things that are better than off-days, 2019 edition  (Read 6157 times)

Offline Count Walewski

Temperatures in the 50's and rain - what a crappy day for baseball in our nation's capital today would have been!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Off weeks  :P

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Is there a game today? :)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Sweaty feet

Online imref

The Astros defense.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Thursday Night Football featuring the Redskins.

Offline Natsinpwc

And a bonus. Kurt Coupons.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
20:07 start times.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
G & D on 106.7

I don't listen to those clowns much but every time I do I'm reminded how awful they are.

Offline miller10

I'll be honest, I could see that game getting higher ratings (even in the DMV) than a Nats WS game.  It's really sad.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
G&D were saying that the 'skins did not fare well over the weekend when compared to the Nats playoff games. 17 share versus an 11 share or something like that.

I'll be honest, I could see that game getting higher ratings (even in the DMV) than a Nats WS game.  It's really sad.

Offline miller10

G&D were saying that the 'skins did not fare well over the weekend when compared to the Nats playoff games. 17 share versus an 11 share or something like that.

Damn, that's refreshing.  The tide has finally turned on Danny and his band of idiots.

Online Five Banners

Fast-forwarding through the Orioles section of the Mid-Atlantic sports report

Offline spidernat

Fast-forwarding through the Orioles section of the Mid-Atlantic sports report

:lmao: I never watch that crap because it's all orioles with a token segment on the Nats. How much time are they spending on the Nats since the regular season ended?

Online Five Banners

How much time are they spending on the Nats since the regular season ended?

I don’t really follow it either, but they gave the first two segments to the WS before switching to the Orioles.

Offline spidernat

home games in the fall classic :hang:

Online imref

Lock thread, you won't ever top that.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
POTY nominee.

Online Five Banners

Realizing that we've spent an entire postseason with many highs with the name "Harper" decreasing in relevance with every game

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Realizing that we've spent an entire postseason with many highs with the name "Harper" decreasing in relevance with every game
Maybe, but we're sitting here in the WS with Harper's replacement sporting a 6.64 ERA, wishing we had some sort of offense.

Online Five Banners

Maybe, but we're sitting here in the WS with Harper's replacement sporting a 6.64 ERA, wishing we had some sort of offense.

Was in the camp hoping for a return, but observing that had he been here and we ended up winning the pennant (big ifs), most every other narrative would've been "Harper this, Harper that".

The media so rarely looks at what is actually happening in front of them versus running with familiar talking points, then they blame the internet etc. on plummeting interest in some metrics, with MLB resorting to gimmicky rules to counteract that. MLB and most leagues these years seem to survive in spite of themselves and their brain trusts.

Offline dracnal

Was in the camp hoping for a return, but observing that had he been here and we ended up winning the pennant (big ifs), most every other narrative would've been "Harper this, Harper that".

The media so rarely looks at what is actually happening in front of them versus running with familiar talking points, then they blame the internet etc. on plummeting interest in some metrics, with MLB resorting to gimmicky rules to counteract that. MLB and most leagues these years seem to survive in spite of themselves and their brain trusts.

The announcers really do like to lean into lazy talking points. I'm not sure if it's the Networks telling them what to focus on, to create a narrative, reality TV style, or if they just don't really spend much time looking into the facts and figures and crib notes from existing reporting plus what the crew truck feeds in their ear holes.

Offline vicki4471

I am really not sure how this works I think I'm supposed to be sarcastic and say something that really sucks... and if thats the case I got nothing. But I will say that I am looking forward to getting some sleep tonight . These night games are killing me. I'm usually too excited or too depressed afterwards to go straight to sleep so I'm up until 2 am.

Offline dracnal

I am really not sure how this works I think I'm supposed to be sarcastic and say something that really sucks... and if thats the case I got nothing. But I will say that I am looking forward to getting some sleep tonight . These night games are killing me. I'm usually too excited or too depressed afterwards to go straight to sleep so I'm up until 2 am.

Yeah, I couldn't fall asleep until some time after 3:45AM. The calls in the last three innings (called strikes, checked swings) REALLY got under my skin more than usual. After 2012, I've learned to be a lot more dispassionate, but I had to stop actively watching the screen for the last inning and a half.