Author Topic: Things that are better than off-days, 2019 edition  (Read 6071 times)

Online Natsinpwc

we debated that for a while.... it was either fix this car up some, buy less car than we really want, or take on car payments which we do not want to do. this car has 85,000 miles on it and we look to get 112,000 - 120,000 miles out of it so we figure spend some now and in 2-3 years when some financial resources free up maybe we can pay cash for a new one. plus we really like this vehicle...who knows, we just hope we made the correct decision
Seems kind of early for timing belt change. Thought those were usually at 100-100 K miles?

Online Natsinpwc

85k is too soon to junk it for a $3k maintenance.

My previous minivan was a 2003 Odyssey.  At about 7 years / 86k the transmission started slipping.  Took it to the dealer and too Curry's.  From both I got nearly identical estimates of $12k - new transmission + needed a timing belt, broken engine mount, and the ABS controller had failed. I ended up selling it to CarMax for about $5k and after swearing I'd never buy another Honda, bought another Odyssey.  That one is just over 8 years old, has 116k miles, and so far has been perfectly reliable with only an alternator failure that was covered by the extended warranty.  Did the timing belt package at around 95k.
I had 270K on my 2003 odyssey when I totaled it. 60K on the 2016 one that we replaced. Have about 200k on a 2003 Civic. So I swear by Honda’s. Also have 165K on a 99 Lumina. But have to feed it brake oil as it’s leaking. So GMs can last too.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Didn't know where else to post this.  My bride got me a shark hat so I can wear it to the game tomorrow...  :D

Offline ajcartwright

Seems kind of early for timing belt change. Thought those were usually at 100-100 K miles?
yeah maybe a little early but am totally spooked by timing belt failure. has happened to us twice, once on a chevy truck and once on a ford. luckily the ford was covered by warranty.
we just put a junk yard motor in the chevy. you know what they say... what happens twice will happen thrice and we do believe in an ounce of prevention

Offline ajcartwright

Didn't know where else to post this.  My bride got me a shark hat so I can wear it to the game tomorrow...  :D

don't know about that hat Vark....looks like a Greg Norman cap ... didn't he have one of the biggest PGA chokes of all time?

Online Natsinpwc

yeah maybe a little early but am totally spooked by timing belt failure. has happened to us twice, once on a chevy truck and once on a ford. luckily the ford was covered by warranty.
we just put a junk yard motor in the chevy. you know what they say... what happens twice will happen thrice and we do believe in an ounce of prevention
Got ya.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
don't know about that hat Vark....looks like a Greg Norman cap ... didn't he have one of the biggest PGA chokes of all time?

The biggest, IIRC...  :D

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

(Image removed from quote.)

With that gift, she's telling you that she hates you. :poke:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
With that gift, she's telling you that she hates you. :poke:

She gets me unusual stuff for all of my birthdays...I kinda like it...  ;)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Whatever you are smoking, please stop. :)

My Chevy truck is five years old, has about 36k miles, and hasn't needed anything other than oil changes.  I'm getting ready to finally put new tires on it.
Wait until you get into the 90,000+ range. GM is trash.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Wait until you get into the 90,000+ range. GM is trash.

My 2006 Tahoe has 105,000 miles on it.  Had to replace the brake lines around 100,000...they rusted thru.  Didn't expect that.  Other than that...it's been a tank...

Offline Duke of Earl

Get a new car
Yeah get a BMW.  Timing chain outlasts all other engine parts.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Whatever you are smoking, please stop. :)

My Chevy truck is five years old, has about 36k miles, and hasn't needed anything other than oil changes.  I'm getting ready to finally put new tires on it.

Yeah my barely used car runs great too :shrug:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Yeah get a BMW.  Timing chain outlasts all other engine parts.

Their naturally aspirated engines are tanks.  Their gaskets are for crap...

Offline Duke of Earl

Their naturally aspirated engines are tanks.  Their gaskets are for crap...
Motor oil is cheap.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Motor oil is cheap.

Gasket replacement isn't...  :(

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Yunz are makin' me glad I don't own a newer vehicle.

140,000  1997 Saturn
250,000  1999 Explorer
85,000    2003 Ranger
60,000    2002 motorcycle

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Yeah my barely used car runs great too :shrug:

:lmao:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Off day is an opportunity to get caught up on the Vuelta a Espana, so maybe it's not so bad. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
alright, enough of these off-days, let's play some freaking baseball.

Offline Duke of Earl

Gasket replacement isn't...  :(
Point is, why bother replacing gaskets.  Just replaced leaked oil.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Things that are better than off-days, 2019 edition
« Reply #96: September 19, 2019, 07:56:10 PM »
Debating the benefits of Faith Day.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Things that are better than off-days, 2019 edition
« Reply #98: September 19, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »
Debating the benefits of Faith Day.